Are Balenciaga bags a fad?

cute_lil_fiend said:
Lol...sorry if it sounded like an attack on the waist pouch swankymamaof3...its just that sooooo many ppl. in Vancouver have it, guys and girls, and lots of fakes too....

oh please, I don't care!:lol: I was teasing you!

At the end of the day, its just a gorgeous, quality leather bag. That's more than a lot of canvas designs out there. Of course, their quality has gone down a bit. If they clean up their act and bring back their nice thick leather, they can stay around for a while.

The house of Balenciaga is classic- after all, they can carryover the leather everyone loves on the motorcycle bags on a new design. (and the dress they designed for Nicole Kidman at the oscars was gorgeous)
But the motorcycle bags- not so much. The shape and hardware will eventually be played out and just a tired, old bag will remain.

If it's something YOU would carry in 10 years, then it doesn't really matter whether it's hot now or how hot it'll be later.

I still carry around that plain black, microfiber Fendi baguette that was all the rage...how many years ago?

So "out" as far as the fashionistas are concerned, I'm sure, but it suits my needs when I need a small black back for going out. I have a studded Kooba that's trendy now and I love it so much I don't ever see myself parting with it, even when studded bags make an exit.

The motorcycle look is certainly going to be a passing trend, but that doesn't mean that if you invest $$$ you can't carry it past that.

i think the Balenciaga motorcycle/lariat/le dix bags have achieved icon status already. it's been around since 2000 and i don't see the interest on them waning anytime soon. not like the Luella Giselle or the Chloe Silverado. im not into very trendy things, i prefer conservative, classic pieces that i know i will still like for more than one season. i've got 3 Balenciaga Men's Day bags and im pretty sure i'll be using them for many years.

I've never been a fan (please don't throw rocks at me:shame:smile: and IMO the motorcycle version of the bag is a fad. I can't see it being around much longer. I could be wrong though.

i'm personally a fan of balenciaga bag, and actually i never thought about will they be trendy in 10 or 20 years but they are gorgeous for a change with an lv. they have different character. lv's more stiff and classic, but balenciaga's bags are so soft and buttery, relaxed and funky... it's yummy :P
ooh, and they're not as heavy as lv.

Balenciaga doesn't have the long history that LV or Hermes both have, but I think they are on their way. They have been around since 2000 and still going strong. Six years may not be quite enough to qualify the Motorcycle as a classic, but I think it definitely surpasses "trend" status. And let's face it, for once it's nice to have a quality leather bag that is practical and wearable. I find myself consistently reaching for my Balenciagas day after day while my LV's have been sitting untouched! These qualities are the reason I think Balenciaga will pass the test of time, especially if they go back to producing the wonderfully soft leather that made people fall in love in the first place. :love:

I think B-bags have staying power. They have been around for quite a while, as others have said, but they've only become a craze in recent years. Personally, I never read celeb magazines and I have no idea what the Hiltons are wearing, and I've never purchased an "It" bag because of a celebrity. Something about that delicious destressed leather and edgy design really caught my attention. Balenciaga has developed somewhat of a cult following these days, and I don't think it's a fad.

0o0o0o what an interesting topic! IMO i think if the handbag you carry is made really well then it will last for YEARS and YEARS to come... i own more b-bags than LV... just because i know i can pop down the road to the LV store to get one but as for b-bags i have to get them off shore and have to do it right away or else i totally lose out esp. when it comes to YUMMY colours!
LV will always be my favourite luxury bag brand! i think balenicaga bags... the staple colours like black and white will be around for awhile... a long while! hehehe!

really funny- when i saw balenciaga moto bags in magazines for the first time, i was like ugh they are SO ugly. WHY??? why are all the celebs carrying one?

THEN i was browsing on the internet and saw pics of jessica simpson i believe carrying the pewter first. it was LOVE at first sight. swear to god.

i had to have it. and i bought it. and i still love it to this very day. i've had it almost a year now.

i don't like the city style. it's not for me. but i love the purse style, and i may get a hobo soon.

as for LV, yes they are classic. but i don't love any of their pieces enough to buy one. the only LV bag i own is the BH. i keep looking on eluxury to find another LV bag to buy to fall in love with, but i never fall in love with one like i have with my pewter first.

cute_lil_fiend said:
just like those horrid gucci waist pouches everyone in Vancouver seems to be slinging around.

lol I agree!

And about balenciaga bags...I just read recently from, I think, Instyle (or Glamour???) that they've been around for about 10 years now...and it's the most recognized bag of the decade... but personally, I'm not all that into them because they're a bit too slouchy and the bag has no structure at all, eg. I put a (soft) folder in and it ends up all curled up inside the bag...:hrmm: