Are backpack purses back in style?

elbow

May 30, 2013
I had a couple of backpack purses in high school in the 90s. I gave them away when I went off to college but I've been noticing quite a few leather backpack purses around the more fashionable parts of town.

I saw a lady with a black leather Tory Burch Thea backpack today and it had the most buttery soft looking leather. And the embossed stamp is so understated. I have a 3 year old and it would be very convenient to carry a backpack purse. But is it fashionable? Will this style stick around? I don't want to spend $500 on something that I won't want to carry next year. :thinking:

I have a black Italian leather one, can't remember the brand off hand and it's in the bedroom and my husband is asleep already, sorry.
I use it if I know I am going to have my hands full and need to carry a lot. I am a photographer and sometimes I need allllllll my stuff and to have my hands free. I think they are a more casual look, but I don't think they will ever go out of style.
If I was juggling a baby, I think I would have one in rotation.

I only carried backpacks in school. While I think they are trendy right now (not sure about long term) I wouldn' t wear them anymore, not only from an aesthetic point of view, but also because things can be stolen from them easier

i think it might be back on trend, and as much as i love backpack i don't always find it practical because it is harder to get things in and out but i do have few backpack i always use for carrying laptop and some other heavier stuff when i need to carry them. although i would still carry one other bag for my wallet and other important stuff

I sure hope they are! I'm tired of carrying purses. I just ordered a Rebecca Minkoff Julian backpack so I can use it as my Fall/winter purse. I can't wait to finally have a bag that is convenient, hands free, and not straining my shoulder and bad back. I can't wait!

in a different thread I mentioned that I was picking up a stella McCartney bag today at neimans. there were quite a few backpacks that I saw. the prada backpack is gorgeous and I owned one for a long time. I didn't always wear it as a backpack per se, but, if I needed to, I was glad that I had that option to have my hands free....so, I say, if you love a backpack and it's going to work for you, get it!

I also owned a backpack purse in th 90s. I currently just have a Kate Spade (from the 90s) in navy. I love it but only use it when I go to my kids' sporting events not daily. I saw a Michael Kors one that I love, but I'll just wait for it to go on sale because it's $300. MCM also makes one as well.
There are a plethora designers doing it so I would say that it's trendy. But, if you have small child, why not?

They are so coming back in!
Different to before, majority are more 'handbag' than kids backpack.

Not sure about lasting power... that was my concern as well if i was gonna drop 3 or 4 figures on a backpack, however many of the backpacks this time around have larger top handles/loops which means you can carry the bag as a handheld as well, so it doubles as handheld as well as backpack.

Rebecca Minkoff has a new fanny pack! Oh my, never thought those would come back...

I just ordered this at Nordstrom!! It's going to feel SO SO good to carry that when I don't feel like carrying anything else. Sometimes there are days when I want to carry as little as possible, like my cash/ccs, keys and phone, but then I realized I needed a purse to carry all of that. I get moody when I end up carrying a heavy purse just for a few items. I'm so glad she brought it back, I can't wait!!

And in case you didn't notice, Rebecca's fanny also comes with a crossbody chain strap, too. I. LOVE. IT. One thing I LOVE about RM's bags is how convertible it is. The fanny can be worn in so many different ways. I do have her WOC which is an excellent bag, but having the option to wear a fabulous fanny that doesn't scream "soccer mom" is even better. I can't wait to receive it!