Are Awards Shows Still Relevant?

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. I was going to specify Oscars, but I'll expand to all awards shows, Oscars, Grammys, Tonys, Globes, Emmys, and so on.

Are they REALLY about the best of the best? Or are they about self-promotion and trying to hype certain media products or talent towards future sales?

If it's true that they're going to nominate 'Dances with Smurfs' for anything, I think my case is made.

2. I think they have always been about that. But I think they are still relevant.

3. I've never sat through an entire awards show. I've always found them rather pompus and a way for entertainers to pat themselves on the back. I'm sure they are relevant to Hollywood, but not in my little world.

4. Last time I watched the awards show was last decade. lol

i don't find them relevant at all.

5. I find them a little too extravagant and irrelevant in the thought that the money could go to so much better use elsewhere. I mean, I think that most people just watch to see what people are wearing anymore. If that's the case, then maybe we should just have a celeb fashion show.

6. I used to love watching award shows, but now they're so predictable, it takes the suspense and fun out of it.

7. I don't think they're really about the best all the time, or at the time its awarded. Sometimes they get it right, but other times it seems like they award someone because they "messed up" by not awarding the person a previous time. I know I've read, for example, that Denzel Washington's Oscar for Training Day was really about awarding his role in Malcolm X. Or, that Al Pacino's Oscar for Scent of a Woman was really because he lost out for Godfather II.

The recent Grammy's (though I didn't watch it) had Beyoncé winning six awards. I wish I could remember where I read it (probably some blog), but the person was pretty much like, In the case of all of Beyoncé's wins, it has a lot to do with the PR juggernaut behind her name.

8. They are quite irrelevant and very political nowadays. I still watch many for the performances or highlights, though. I don't think they would get it right with everyone anyway, but some, especially the Grammys, have always been off-base, even with the categories. Many great artists are never even nominated, so that alone makes you question the validity, IMO. This argument was touched upon in the Grammy thread, too. You know either music has gone downhill or the Grammys are rigged when Beyonce has 16 for that knick-knack BS she's usually singing about!

9. I definitely agree that they are too political these days (heck, it isn't even as much fun to look at the clothes anymore). IMO, it is all about connections and who you know. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they were rigged.

10. Nowadays, they are just FINDING people to give these awards to. I mean if Rihanna can win a Grammy, I think the award is no longer prestigious.

11. I should add that those in the industry do believe that certain awards are very relevant, hence the reason artists flock to the AMAs and Grammys, but not the Soul Train Awards. My comments are based on my opinion as a consumer. Frankly, I couldn't care less if you had "Grammy-Winning Album" plastered on your CD. If it sucks, it sucks.

12. I don't watch them at all anymore. Just self promoting...

13. I think maybe they're irrelevant (I love Glee, but is it really better quality than Modern Family?), but who cares? They're so fun to watch and it's so fun to root for your favorites. I think it would be so upsetting for TV/movie buffs if they disappeared-- it would be as if they got rid of the Superbowl!

14. I know this is an old thread but

I remember all the magical moments growing up watching Michael Jackson, Janet Jackson, Whitney Houston, Madonna, Prince etc. winning awards on the Grammys and American Music Awards and the amazing performances that people still talk about. I was so excited for the music awards shows to come on and to see the stars of the 80s and 90s. I still watch them but that magic is not there....though that could also have something to do with the caliber of artists nowadays.
    Another thing I love about the awards shows is that they introduce me to artists/movies/plays that I may not have otherwise known about. There have been many times I have run to download a song after seeing it performed on a show and falling in love with it (Lady Antebellum and Gretchen Wilson of "Redneck Woman" fame) or rented a movie that I hadn't seen in the theater. After the Tony Award buzz, I went to see Denzel Washington in the Broadway play Fences. I also love it when the Grammy's has old artists perform with new artists in a duet...that is always cool.
    Still, they are not what they used to be in the 80s and 90s.