Are Any Other Sellers Getting Seriously Lowball Offers?

I don't like 'BO' as a seller, altho I do as a buyer.

Not a fan of lowball offers either, and I specifically say in my auctions 'I do not do buy it now, so pls don't ask'. of course people do anyway and I simply ignore them. Why waste time exchanging emails?

Why do You add have best offer option? I am a seller and I dont have best offer option on my items. Never had. I dont get the point. I know people here say BO option allows them to screen potential buyers but really does it? How? I dont block 0 feedback buyers (I personally never had a problem with new to ebay buyers) and by having Fixed price/immediate payment required You eliminate non payers.

Let's say I want $400 for a bag. I start at $450 and see what is coming.
Sometimes, the person is in my state or at least on the East Coast I know shipping will be less. I factor that in as well.

Regarding the screening, with best offer you see their feedback and most importantly the feedback they leave for other. Thru the screenings.
If the buyer starts crazy. The conversation is over. I can't afford the stress or losing my money.
I mostly get my prices and so far no problem with buyers.(knock on wood)

Let's say I want $400 for a bag. I start at $450 and see what is coming.
Sometimes, the person is in my state or at least on the East Coast I know shipping will be less. I factor that in as well.

Regarding the screening, with best offer you see their feedback and most importantly the feedback they leave for other. Thru the screenings.
If the buyer starts crazy. The conversation is over. I can't afford the stress or losing my money.
I mostly get my prices and so far no problem with buyers.(knock on wood)
Why not do Fixed price $400 and thats it? IME most buyers dont leave feedback anyway or have very little feedback. I personally have no time to look through everybody's left for others feedback. I have 800+ items listed. And most of the time there is no conversation so I cant tell the crazies. Knock on wood its been working for me for years. But to each their own. Whatever works for you

Why not do Fixed price $400 and thats it? IME most buyers dont leave feedback anyway or have very little feedback. I personally have no time to look through everybody's left for others feedback. I have 500+ items listed. And most of the time there is no conversation so I cant tell the crazies. Knock on wood its been working for me for years. But to each their own. Whatever works for you

I deal with items around the 3k to 5k price range. I don't do volume that is why
I screen.
I used the $400 price range as an example:smile:
When I sell my son ' s Legos or his Pokemon cards, I don't bother either.

I'm only an occasional seller, so I only list auction/BIN prices and some things I just want to get rid off but don't want to give away or have anyone will to take hand me downs. I just recently listed some popular branded jewelry that is (to me) a little on the pricey side, and have had more questions I'm used to about prices and will I take such-and-such a deal. I don't sell often, so I don't mind the questions.

As a buyer, I try to look at completed listings to get an idea of what that or a similar item will sell for and also the seller's completed listings to see what type of difference between list/BO the seller has let items go for. I do low offers "just in case" and I appreciate counteroffers which help me figure out how way off my offer is and whether I can afford the "bargain". I especially don't want to overpay for preowned stuff no matter how much I want it.

I can see how high volume sellers might not want to do that dance, though.

I deal with items around the 3k to 5k price range. I don't do volume that is why
I screen.
I used the $400 price range as an example:smile:
When I sell my son ' s Legos or his Pokemon cards, I don't bother either.
LOL. I dont sell greetings cards. I still dont feel how BO helps. But if it works for You (helps You prescreen buyers) more power to You. In 6 years of being top rated powerseller my only sowewhat unpleasant experiences were with buyers with glowing received and left for feedback. Often powersellers toprated sellers themselves. So if somebody wants to steal/scam they will find a way. No way to prevent that. Knock on wood I've never been scammed. There were 2 attempts in my 6 years of selling and i was able to stop it both times

LOL. I dont sell greetings cards. I still dont feel how BO helps. But if it works for You (helps You prescreen buyers) more power to You. In 6 years of being top rated powerseller my only sowewhat unpleasant experiences were with buyers with glowing received and left for feedback. Often powersellers toprated sellers themselves

Hope your lucky streak continues:smile:
If I had your volume, I probably would not have time to screen either.

Limom & Sasha671,

You both make very valid points regarding the use of the "Best Offer" option. I guess it all depends on your volume as a seller, as well as your clientele.

I've been on ebay for quite a few years and am only an occasional seller. I do recall using the Best Offer option once, quite some time ago. Every single offer was 50% or less than what my BIN price was. (I'm assuming that many potential buyers had seen so many declined offers under my listing that they moved on, assuming that I was quite picky in what I'd accept) That listing ended and I re-listed a few weeks later with my original BIN price and it sold quickly.

I guess it all boils down to "whatever works for you."

Several weeks ago I had someone offer me $150 for a handbag that was listed at $2900. I wanted to reply very unkindly but I let it go. I ended up selling it for my BIN price.

:wtf::shocked::faint: I can't believe she's thick skinned enough to contact you with such a low-ball offer. I've had some insane ones as well but nothing as crazy as that! Well, not yet anyway.

I had pretty much the same experience as you! I listed a pair of never worn shoes as BIN for $25 shipping not included (I originally paid $80 for them) and got a message from a buyer who said she was down on some hard times and would pay me $20 for the shoes and shipping..I didn't even reply. I'm not going to sell something for half off just because somebody can't afford it.

I'm constantly baffled by these individuals. Imagine walking into a supermarket, filling the entire cart and at the checkout, insisted on paying only $20 for the whole lot. I'm sure the security guards and management will haul his/her butt to the police station.

:wtf::shocked::faint: I can't believe she's thick skinned enough to contact you with such a low-ball offer. I've had some insane ones as well but nothing as crazy as that! Well, not yet anyway.

I wouldn't call it thick skinned; more like thick headed....Seriously, I want my best offer accepted when I put one in. I like when I see one or two rejected; I hate putting the first offer in; I always feel like the seller thinks they will get better. If I'm putting in the first BO, it's usually not too far off from the BIN price. Actually, I've never had an offer rejected yet. BO is better than BIN! I just go a little lower than the seller's BIN price and they always give it to me. The price I put in is usually about 10% off the BIN price.

Several weeks ago I had someone offer me $150 for a handbag that was listed at $2900. I wanted to reply very unkindly but I let it go. I ended up selling it for my BIN price.
cutiepiescloset - that's crazy someone would even have the nerve to ask. what did your BIN price end up being? you said your listing was for $2900 ... what was the original purchase price if you dont mind me asking. im trying to figure out how to price my item at the moment. any tip(s) would be super helpful.

cutiepiescloset - that's crazy someone would even have the nerve to ask. what did your BIN price end up being? you said your listing was for $2900 ... what was the original purchase price if you dont mind me asking. im trying to figure out how to price my item at the moment. any tip(s) would be super helpful.

My advice to you, would be to do a completed search.
Look up for the same item that you have to sell and work from there.
You mention that you bought it in NAP, is it a designer brand?
If so to give you an idea I sold a Python Gucci Babushka a while back for $1400.
It was not in the best shape, IMO but I had no problem selling it.