Are Americans really this dumb???

Unfortunately, Yes, yes we are. Not all of us, but some of us. Don't get me started on why it is that way...there is NO forum big enough for that!
And don't get me wrong I love my country...but we are far from perfect!
(Remeber everyone I am from Texas so I have the Red Neck and White Trash population to contend with on a daily basis)
Plus, our stupid media seems to find the dumbest people to put on TV just for the entertainment of it.

It is disgraceful. My just turned 5 daughter goes to a Montessori school and knows all her continents, she does have trouble pronouncing the word continent, but knows them all! She sings them w/ a snappy little tune!

I do think that it's not just Americans though. I suppose if I had questioned people while on vacation in Italy, I'd have met some that got stumped on a few.
KWIM?

I'm a Canadian living in the US and I've noticed this. I used to have a map on the wall as a kid, do people not do this any more? Or have a globe in the house at least - spend endless time looking at it.

I've often found the best way to describe where I am from when asked "where's that?" is for Calgary, "North of Montana" and Montreal "North of New York State" .. sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't lol.

Political knowledge is also very low in this country (obviously, look who we elected into a second term). I took a class in college called Public Opinion, and it was sad to hear that when asked five easy questions about people currently in office or in the news, I think most people only got one question right :blink:

I think the majority of people don't care, and that is sad. They live in a bubble, I guess they have everything they need right here, no need to enrich their lives by learning something about the world they live in :suspiciou

LOL! That was amusing! I lived in the USA on and off over the last 5 years. I was working for a resort in Michigan and most of the people I met were very nice, friendly and very iterested in my accent and where I was from. I love Americans, don't get me wrong here but, the amount of people who would say to me "your English is so good, when did you learn?" was incredible! Luckily I have a good sense of humour and would have a laugh with them about it. I also had a few people ask me if Scotland was just like braveheart and if I lived in a mud hut! LOL

Poor Australia's being invaded!!!!! Did anyone read the by-lines:

Retro caveman dresses up like monkey
Cheery ripe manufactures regret release of prune ripe.
Difference between flat white and latte discussed on coffee date.

Oh yes, you wouldn't believe all the things I've heard when I tell people I'm swedish.. :suspiciou

Some people think we have polar bears here, that we're part of the North Pole.. that the Alps are in Sweden.. ugh, I've heard SO many things.. some tings are just hilarious.. Some things are just.. weird :blink:

Oh, and people can't tell the difference between Sweden and Switzerland :P