Are '09 bags the new '05?

hauteocmom

Feb 2, 2008
I've heard so many tPF'ers say how great the '09 leather is...are we going to be talking about this in a couple of years the way we talk about '05? Does anyone have an '05 and '09 for comparison?

Oh, and what color(s) from '09 do you think we'll be lusting after in a few years? You know how everyone wants a black FBF or teal or bordeaux or grenat, etc.

I don't think so. Every year we all purchase bags and we find things to love about each years leather: the texture of '07, the matte'ness of '08, etc. etc.

2009 I'm sure will have it's highs and lows, but I don't think anything will ever be better than 2005 (other than 2001) and it's silly to me to hope otherwise.

no way jose!
05 had chevre leather and the colors BAL used in 05 and 04 have been repeated but never replicated perfectly.

IMO, the quality and craftsmanship of the older bags overall has been lost... which makes my older bags even more precious :love:

I don't think so either. I have bags from both 05' and 09' and although I hand picked my 09 bag from store (for better leather) I still would say nothing beats the 04-05 bal leather...

Yeah, no.

I just think 2009 is way better thus far than 2008 - as a whole. There is always the exception, but generally speaking, the 09 leather looks to be better than FW 2008.

Actually, what am I talking about? I just dont like the 2008 BLACK leather. But my EB, Coral Red and Amethyst (all from 08) all have pretty decent leathers, just not thick and not Chevre.

My vote goes to 2007 and 2005. I like 2004 too, but it didn't have as much fluffiness as 2005/2007.

I agree with the ladies here, 05 leather is so much different than 09 leather. I wish they would make the same leather again like in the 05, soft and fluffy.

Also, one thing that I notice from 09 leather is a bit dry...IMO. But then again 09 is not finish yet...who knows, later in the year they will improve it :shrugs:

I am going to be the voice of dissention here. I bought an 09 Day and I think that it could compare, but further down the line. You have to bear in mind that 05 bags have now had 3-4 years to break in and achieve the smooshy leathers, these 09 bags are brand new, they have been out for a few months, if that!

This is the back of my 09 Black Day before purchase, and now the the back of the same Day after one day of intense use. The difference is dramatic and that's a single day of use!!!

I wish you well,

Bridget

Attachments

• 09 Black CU Leather 04.jpg
    09 Black CU Leather 04.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 183
  • 09 Black leather CU breaking in.jpg
    09 Black leather CU breaking in.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 188
Good post, Bridget.

Also, does this perhaps has to do with how you where introduced to Bbags? If the first bag you bought was 05 then naturally that's what you'll prefer as this was how you got to know Bbags. And you will associate that particular leather with Bal 'quality'. If your first bag was 09 then that's what you love and associate with Bal quality.

Personally, I did not buy the first black City I could get my hands on ... I did not want 07 or 08 leather (for a black City). But when I got my hands on my 09 I knew instantly that I wanted this baby.
I have a friend who owns a 05 City so I have both seen and touched that and while I think the leather on her 05 is yummy, I wouldn't trade it for my 09.

Of course, we are all different and prefer different things including leather. To each her own!

Last edited:
I am going to be the voice of dissention here. I bought an 09 Day and I think that it could compare, but further down the line. You have to bear in mind that 05 bags have now had 3-4 years to break in and achieve the smooshy leathers, these 09 bags are brand new, they have been out for a few months, if that!

This is the back of my 09 Black Day before purchase, and now the the back of the same Day after one day of intense use. The difference is dramatic and that's a single day of use!!!

I wish you well,

Bridget

I so agree! One thing that is still so obvious to me about '05 bags is the color saturation of the leather. Everything was so vibrant, even still after those bags have been carried for a few years! The '09's that I have purchased so far (black rh work, black cgh city, ruby sgh work, and mandarin cp) have had the most outstanding leather from the get go. No ridiculous "break in" period. I will never sell these bags, I feel so fortunate to have found such great leather/color so easily this year! I hope granny can be just as great! Great post, this is fascinating to get everyone's opinions.:woohoo:

Good post, Bridget.

Also, does this perhaps has to do with how you where introduced to Bbags? If the first bag you bought was 05 then naturally that's what you'll prefer as this was how you got to know Bbags. And you will associate that particular leather with Bal 'quality'. If your first bag was 09 then that's what you love and associate with Bal quality.

Personally, I did not buy the first black City I could get my hands on ... I did not want 07 or 08 leather (for a black City). But when I got my hands on my 09 I knew instantly that I wanted this baby.

I completely agree with you. 09 Black City is my first Bbag. I never thought I would buy black either but once I saw her and tried her on, I had to take her home. I saw that the leather is a bit dry compared to other bags but I do love this leather.

I wish you well,

Bridget

Interesting post, Bridget.:smile:

I still haven't found the courage to try a 09 bag. I bought a 08 and was not loving the leather so I sold it (also if the color was beautiful).
But maybe it's worth trying...after all sooner or later the older bags will need younger friends!
Of course, when I look at the pics of the new bags and then I look at my broken in bags, I always choose my oldies...but also the oldies have been brand new once and probably we are not keeping this in mind.

Interesting post, Bridget.:smile:

I still haven't found the courage to try a 09 bag. I bought a 08 and was not loving the leather so I sold it (also if the color was beautiful).
But maybe it's worth trying...after all sooner or later the older bags will need younger friends!
Of course, when I look at the pics of the new bags and then I look at my broken in bags, I always choose my oldies...but also the oldies have been brand new once and probably we are not keeping this in mind.

I agree with you again on this one, Babi ;)