Are '09 bags the new '05?

I'm hoping that '09 will be the new '05 once it becomes one of the 'oldies'. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Since I've been wanting a new perfect black city.. I'll try my luck and get an '09 black city anyway :rolleyes:

Bridget, you've just confirmed what I feel about the 08 bags (I have no experience of 09). They break in incredibly fast. To me that indicates that perhaps the leather is softer, not as sturdy as in earlier years. I guess years will tell. With my 08 bags I also found that the colour saturation is nowhere near as good as it is in the earlier bags. So leather stretches and lightens where it has stretched -- doesn't sound too promising to me in the long term.

However, I am relieved to hear how much you love your 09 day. It gives me hope.

I am going to be the voice of dissention here. I bought an 09 Day and I think that it could compare, but further down the line. You have to bear in mind that 05 bags have now had 3-4 years to break in and achieve the smooshy leathers, these 09 bags are brand new, they have been out for a few months, if that!

This is the back of my 09 Black Day before purchase, and now the the back of the same Day after one day of intense use. The difference is dramatic and that's a single day of use!!!

I wish you well,

Bridget

monkyjib: LOVE your Sapphire...it's gorgeous

Well, sounds like the '09s look promising but of course time will tell. I'm going to Bal LA this weekend to check them out. But, I've never seen an '05 IRL so nothing to compare to :sad:

Bridget, you've just confirmed what I feel about the 08 bags (I have no experience of 09). They break in incredibly fast. To me that indicates that perhaps the leather is softer, not as sturdy as in earlier years. I guess years will tell. With my 08 bags I also found that the colour saturation is nowhere near as good as it is in the earlier bags. So leather stretches and lightens where it has stretched -- doesn't sound too promising to me in the long term.

However, I am relieved to hear how much you love your 09 day. It gives me hope.

I totally agree with you on the bold part. When I bought my Taupe Twiggy last year, it was brand new with tags still attached and you would have thought it was an 06. It was shiny and veiny and stiff. I honestly believe that that is how the 05's started out and then broke into the deliciousness that is now so highly valued and sought after. When 06 came out there was such trash talk about the leather and being so thin and veiny and yak yak yak ... now it's a sought after year, how jet black the black is, the chevre leather .... I guess you can't tell from when they are new!

I wish you well,

Bridget

I totally agree with you on the bold part. When I bought my Taupe Twiggy last year, it was brand new with tags still attached and you would have thought it was an 06. It was shiny and veiny and stiff. I honestly believe that that is how the 05's started out and then broke into the deliciousness that is now so highly valued and sought after. When 06 came out there was such trash talk about the leather and being so thin and veiny and yak yak yak ... now it's a sought after year, how jet black the black is, the chevre leather .... I guess you can't tell from when they are new!
I wish you well,

Bridget

I totally 2nd this! :tup: I have an '06 Cognac city, and now, after a couple of years of use, the leather is gorgeous! It's still thin, but very durable, and what was once veiny is now smooshy, silky, lightly distressed deliciousness! Granted, I have never seen an '05 IRL, so I can't compare; but my '06 leather is now AMAZING...:drool: Probably my favorite of my small collection of bags. Of course she was also my first and you never forget your first!

Here are some (lousy, sorry!) pics to give you an idea:
hangingslouch.jpg

lazy.jpg

yes, not enuf credit given 06. i just feel that you gotta read people's comments critically and not lap them all up. there're underlying limitations for sure. people's standards vary, so opinions vary. i'm quite sure not all 05 leathers had been fab, just like not all 06 leathers were as bad as purported.

I think that the difference could possibly be due to the different leathers used like in 05 & 09. But ALSO, i read somewhere that the way they dye their bags changed over time too. Last time if was a longer process (can't remember exactly...) but now its more of like a "Mass Produce" thing.

I guess a few years ago, Balenciaga could possibly be better than compared to now because of the over time cost saving measures and all (IMO). When you have established a certain branding and you just want to maximize profits, changes in quality do happen (For example, Chanel :Push: Or at least that's what I heard recently)

You can actually note the difference in colors too. Like how nice colors were last time. Not that its not nice now (We are all drooling over new colors). Even pale colors don't get so much fading & yellowing problems (I think) as compared to light colors nowadays. So not to say that B now is not good, we still get nice bags but maybe just a tad paler (:wtf:) in comparison to oldies.

no way jose!
05 had chevre leather and the colors BAL used in 05 and 04 have been repeated but never replicated perfectly.

IMO, the quality and craftsmanship of the older bags overall has been lost... which makes my older bags even more precious :love:
ITA:tup: anyway, it´s not chevré anymore so there really is no comparacy IMO

Last edited:
I agree with the 05's never having to have a break in period. They are soft and smooshy before they have to be broke in. Although my Ruby Day bag feels really close to my 05 Indigo Day. It isn't 09, (Ruby 08) but it is the yummiest leather now. I just love it and the color saturation is great.

agree with Vikianderson, just to add on, i've seen some very good 08 too...i guess to be fair, u really have to see each piece to determine if it is really good...