Ardennes or Gulliver?

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Hi Ladies! It's been a long time since I've posted but I'm looking for a birkin 35 and would love your advice. I'm deciding between the above...I know they are very different and I'm torn as to what to get. I'd like this to be pretty care free but I'm generally not too hard on my bags. If you had a choice between the Ardennes or the Gulliver, what would you choose and why? Thanks so much

2. My understanding is Ardennes wears like iron and holds structure well. When people talk about Gulliver, I get the idea that it has some mystical quality that is indescribable in terms of sheen and feel. I am all about the feel so I would go for the Gulliver. I would like to have a dollar for every time I have heard "yes Gulliver is the precursor of Swift but it is totally unlike swift" (more mystical quality talk). Also, Ardennes birkins are plentiful and Gulliver seem pretty rare. If you changed your mind, I think the Gulliver would be easier to re-sell.

keodi, Etriers and skybluesky like this.
  3. Ignoring the specific qualities and pros of each leather, at it's most fundamental level the first question for you should be whether you want a heavily grained or smooth bag? Ardennes will give you that highly pebbled leather texture whilst Gulliver will give you a much smoother, almost velvety smooth texture with a very subtle flat grain.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

missconvy, pinkorchid20 and momoc like this.
  4. You mention the consideration to durability. Gulliver will be easier to spa, Ardennes shouldn't need a spa - at least for ages.

I think the major consideration should be the shape and vibe that gives. Ardennes will give you a more slightly more structured look at that size (but not like Epsom) Gulliver more undulating, basically like Swift.

IMO large-ish B is a casual look bag anyway so Gulliver will further that vibe. Ardennes, because it's a pressed leather will make it more city-smart, grainy but shiny.

I prefer a natural grain leather and have 2 fairly large Swift bags already. Pressed leather is traditional too but at H prices, even preloved, it just seems less worth it. I've seen Ardennes (and Epsom) looking great but not for me.

momoc likes this.
  5. B35 in Ardennes can get weighty..Something to consider.

6. One more vote for gulliver. It’s just such a beautiful buttery leather.

7. All, your comments are very helpful! While I weighed the pros and cons, but you ladies gave me extra dimensions to think about. One of the things that really hit home was Papertiger's comment on the vibe I want to give...That really solidified my choice!

missconvy and papertiger like this.
  8. I was going to say Gulliver, although I only own swift, so not quite the same, but beautiful, smoochy and more robust than it looks. It sounds like you’ve already made your mind up! Please do post what you end up getting though :smile:

Rockerchic likes this.
  9. I chose Gulliver! Can't wait to see it in person! I have personal experience with togo, clemence, box, chevre, fjord and barenia...maybe a few others I'm forgetting, but no direct experience with either of Ardennes or Gulliver (or Swift for that matter). I think the vibe of Gulliver will fit my personality--sounds kind of casual cool-- and the 'mystical' qualitly.
    On another note, I'm glad to be back posting. I was quite active on Hermes as an OG but health issues, moves, job changes and kids took me away for a bit. Nice to be able to have a reprieve from what is going on in the world for just a bit of fun and joy!

xiaoxiao, papertiger, Possum and 4 others like this.
  10. I agree with this, I own a Gulliver Kelly, and once borrowed a swift picotin from a friend, I don't think Gulliver was the precursor of swift at all! lol

11. I can't wait to see your new Birkin!

12. I will post when she gets here! Very excited!

keodi likes this.
  13. The bag is in my hands. :smile: I'll post today sometime...unfortunately gloomy and rainy here today so likely will not be able to get a shot in natural light.

More bags and Tonimichelle like this.
  14. Soooooo......
    I received the birkin but I was also torn between this and a BBB....Here's a picture but please also go to my other thread to vote on which to keep. Man I thought I'd immediately know.....but I don't!

Attached Files:

xiaoxiao likes this.
  15. So glad you were able to make a decision. And it's so nice that things have improved in your life, we're very happy to have you back.

xiaoxiao and Rockerchic like this.