April Showers Hitting Original Leather Rogue Or Color Block Drifter

Oct 8, 2013
I would really appreciate my fellow TPFr's opinion. I have a business meeting that I have to attend Tuesday morning and it is supposed to be pouring out. I will have a bit of a distance to walk from the car to the venue and didn't want to revert to my usual rainy day bag (Longchamp) and I would like to use either my Rogue which is black leather or my color blocked Drifter. Which if either bag could take the weather and come out of it unscathed or should I go with the flow (no pun intended) and leave them safely at home and grab the Longchamp. I'm ashamed to say that neither one has hardly been used at all because I've been babying both from bad weather ironically.

Thank you so much for any input from having either of these bags in the pouring rain.

Reactions: TangerineKandy
I have a couple of rouges and I don't baby them. They'll be fine in bad weather. You should probably treat the leather and suede with waterproofer and shake any excess water off of the bag once you get to your destination.

I have a couple of rouges and I don't baby them. They'll be fine in bad weather. You should probably treat the leather and suede with waterproofer and shake any excess water off of the bag once you get to your destination.

Sunsh1ne thank you so much for your response. The Rogue leather does look thick enough to take the rain. I tend to baby my bags to the point where I don't enjoy them. I'm also hoping the weatherman is wrong and it's just going to be drizzle lol.

I would really appreciate my fellow TPFr's opinion. I have a business meeting that I have to attend Tuesday morning and it is supposed to be pouring out. I will have a bit of a distance to walk from the car to the venue and didn't want to revert to my usual rainy day bag (Longchamp) and I would like to use either my Rogue which is black leather or my color blocked Drifter. Which if either bag could take the weather and come out of it unscathed or should I go with the flow (no pun intended) and leave them safely at home and grab the Longchamp. I'm ashamed to say that neither one has hardly been used at all because I've been babying both from bad weather ironically.

Thank you so much for any input from having either of these bags in the pouring rain.
I agree with sunsh1ne, the leather holds up well from use. That being said, if you're really having one of those monsoon type days you might want to put a 'raincoat' on whatever bag you are carrying to protect the lining and contents from a possible soaking.....we know umbrellas can't protect 100%, especially with wind involved. I've used a small garbage bag to protect stuff I've had to carry in a heavy deluge situation. You wouldn't believe the envious looks I've gotten from those trying to wipe off purses, briefcases, etc. with paper towels while I pulled my stuff out all nice and dry. :biggrin: (Don't forget to put a second one in your bag in case you need it on the way out.)

Reactions: ZSP and Hobbsy
I agree with sunsh1ne, the leather holds up well from use. That being said, if you're really having one of those monsoon type days you might want to put a 'raincoat' on whatever bag you are carrying to protect the lining and contents from a possible soaking.....we know umbrellas can't protect 100%, especially with wind involved. I've used a small garbage bag to protect stuff I've had to carry in a heavy deluge situation. You wouldn't believe the envious looks I've gotten from those trying to wipe off purses, briefcases, etc. with paper towels while I pulled my stuff out all nice and dry. :biggrin: (Don't forget to put a second one in your bag in case you need it on the way out.)

Excellent advice!

Suzanne B thank you so much for your reply. Perfect idea and I'm packing two bags with me as you suggested, one for the return trip. This is the perfect solution! Thank you so much! I'm sure the Rogue would be able to take the rain, I'm just not sure my nerves could lol.

I have a plastic drawstring bag like the one in the picture below, except mine says Nike on it - I got it as a shopping bag at the Nike outlet. I just lay it out flat and fold it up small and it fits easily into my bag - and it doesn't take up much space. It's always handy when I need to protect my bag from the weather and occasionally it has come in handy when I just needed a bag to carry something!

I also spray my leather and fabric bags with Apple Rain Garde to protect them.

Attachments

• plastic drawstring bag.jpg
    plastic drawstring bag.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 283
I have on occasion resorted to putting my bag on my shoulder, then putting on my rain coat, to cover us both.

I have a plastic drawstring bag like the one in the picture below, except mine says Nike on it - I got it as a shopping bag at the Nike outlet. I just lay it out flat and fold it up small and it fits easily into my bag - and it doesn't take up much space. It's always handy when I need to protect my bag from the weather and occasionally it has come in handy when I just needed a bag to carry something!

I also spray my leather and fabric bags with Apple Rain Garde to protect them.

Both good ideas too!

Reactions: Hobbsy
I have a bag raincoat that goes over the handles and clovers the rest of the bag from Cloversac. I have yet to use it but just like the idea. Or I learned from someone else that they carry a baggu just in case for bad weather or to carry extra things.

Thank you, thank you to all for these fantastic ideas on how to protect our precious handbags. Only a fellow handbag lover could understand our wanting to protect them from the elements. There have been many a day during the summer when an unexpected thunderstorm has cropped up and I have wrapped my raincoat around my handbag, ran to the car and just let myself turn into a drowned rat! Now I know that my bag needs a rain coat too thanks to all of you.

Reactions: pbnjam
Those handbag raincoats look pretty nice, my only Coach bag that I would baby like that is my Ace as the others look good to withstand the elements, but I also have a LV with a vachetta bottom that I would want to protect too.

For future you may want to buy a handbag raincoat. I have 2 and just recently started using them in bad weather. They come with a carrying pouch so you can just keep them in the bag. Here's one on my bag the other day. View attachment 3654592

I have a bag raincoat that goes over the handles and clovers the rest of the bag from Cloversac. I have yet to use it but just like the idea. Or I learned from someone else that they carry a baggu just in case for bad weather or to carry extra things.

Those are neat! I never think about those until I need one. :hrmm: Fortunately, in my situation now, if it's supposed to get nasty, I can choose not to leave home. :P