APRIL IN PARIS in San Francisco--custom-made leathergoods by former Hermes apprentice

Since we have this thread and nothing was posted to look at her bags I decided to do so for everyone to view. All of the above is courtesy of April in Paris...from her website. They are lovely bags. What do you think?

Sorry everyone I tried to put some pics on here, but it won't allow me. I thought it would be nice to comment on them. I guess now I created a blank space!!! Forgive me!

Edit that...they are on here, but they were small and then blew up when transfered them! I am laughing. You have to scroll to the side to see them all. Oh goodness, I am not doing well here. I better leave before I get slammed by all.

YES, I WAS ALREADY PM'D...OK, THEY ARE BIG...I WILL SEE IF I CAN MAKE THEM SMALLER!!!! FORGIVE ME! (I also asked for some help from the mods...time will tell)

Please save the images locally, then use the forum's attachment function to upload them here. Don't forget to credit your source.

Do not hotlink images, please.

Guess what's located next to my optometrist office? April in Paris! Of course I had to go in and take a look. The owner Beatrice was very friendly and nice. She had a rainbow of crocodile, lizard, and other leather samples. Everything can be customed made in any of the available leathers. I think she said that the purses start at about $2000 and small accessories in crocodile is about $500.

Ok, I've now changed my mind.. (w/o visiting her store yet). If she's been trained by Hermes then she must be good.

After some hemming and hawing, these is some truth to what Kellybag is saying. Look at all the other brands.
Examples:
  • LV came fr. Goyard.
  • Whoever started BV came fr. Hermes. etc...

hermes_lemming said:
Ok, I've now changed my mind.. (w/o visiting her store yet). If she's been trained by Hermes then she must be good.

After some hemming and hawing, these is some truth to what Kellybag is saying. Look at all the other brands.
Examples:
  • LV came fr. Goyard.
  • Whoever started BV came fr. Hermes. etc...

hermes_lemming - She told me that she was trained by the Hermes store in France and was then trasferred to the SF Hermes store to work on repairs and assess special orders.

^ huh? then i'm really confused... i thought repairs were only done in either beverly hills or ny in the states? and that the store managers got the final say on special (bag) orders?

I have something to add...on a bad day I really think to myself...I keep waiting for a call from Hermes for them to offer me one of the 8 or 9 colors I am waitlisted for. Am I picky? No. Have I received a call? No. I am a customer ready to buy and they have nothing for me to buy. I just find it really bizarre. I also find all the hidden bags in the back even more bizarre. If no one is waitlisted for them...put them on the shelves and let some lucky walk ins purchase them.

I am saying this because...I know there are many fine craftspeople out there. If I ever found one I may just by their bag.

If I lived near SF, I would really visit her boutique and look into her bags. I am sure they are gorgeous.

I wish someone owned one on the forum to really give us a report.

By the way...I am not knocking Hermes...I love the brand...I just don't love the way one has to go about purchasing a bag. Especially when I know there is much dirty play. I have even witnessed some of it as of recent.

Quick question....did you get to see many of the bags? What was your opinion on it all? Would you recommend one for someone to order sight unseen? How would you rate the bags? Can you give us some comparison to Hermes?

Kellybag said:
Quick question....did you get to see many of the bags? What was your opinion on it all? Would you recommend one for someone to order sight unseen? How would you rate the bags? Can you give us some comparison to Hermes?

There was a catalog with bag styles. Some of the styles were somewhat Hermes-ish, but with a slight twist. As for actual bags, I only saw 2 on display. But there were quite a bit of small accessories and shoes.

Her bags are not cheap. I am not sure if I would order a bag initially but rather start with a small accessory such as a passport cover or a credit card case because she has a good selection of crocodile and lizard in beautiful colors.

Kellybag - Which Hermes bag are you waiting for?

fopduck said:
There was a catalog with bag styles. Some of the styles were somewhat Hermes-ish, but with a slight twist. As for actual bags, I only saw 2 on display. But there were quite a bit of small accessories and shoes.

Her bags are not cheap. I am not sure if I would order a bag initially but rather start with a small accessory such as a passport cover or a credit card case because she has a good selection of crocodile and lizard in beautiful colors.

Kellybag - Which Hermes bag are you waiting for?

Right now waiting for the birkin. Would love one in chevre...seems a longshot, but I am also listed for togo. I have a few colors I would love, but I am open.

Thank you for the update...oh, and nothing handmade is ever cheap!!! Don't we all know that!

I need to go to SF to visit her store....I would love to start out small as well, like a wallet or credit card holder, and take a look at the kinds of leather and crocodile she uses.