Approval on these tops: am I too old for them?

madigan

I'm done!
O.G.
Jan 16, 2007
I've run into an interesting point in my life, where I like to dress in fun quirky things but have learned how to do it more mildly and with style (like the Guillaume Hinfray shoes with the piercing through it). I keep seeing things lately and think "Ah, I'm getting too old to wear something gimmicky." I'm 25 and will be turning 26 soon, and while my boyfriend (the indie NYC artist) wears plain skinny jeans and messy tshirts and is able to get away with it, I feel a new era for me is on the rise, where you should look a bit more presentable. I also feel that I need to choose wisely because I'm spending more on nicer clothes, and plan to wear them for many years.
Here I need the opinions of the fine ladies on the purse forum! Here are 2 items I've been eyeing but I'm not sure if they're too young for me, what do you think? Has anyone else gone through this?

I feel this would be ok because it's a tiny bit dressy...
http://theprocrastinatorium.com/want1.jpg

and this one I really like (who doesn't like a cashmere sweater?) and feel it would fit my hourglass figure but I feel it's kind of gimmicky (it reminds me of when it was in style to wear a shirt with a tie printed on, or a vest or whatnot).
http://theprocrastinatorium.com/want2.jpg

please help!! Thanks in advance for your opinions!

I think I've been in the in-between phase you are describing for the past four years! Ha... the way I'm dealing with it is to dabble in trendy silhouettes in my predictable neutrals of black, white, gray, and denim.

That said, I like the top, if worn for a dressy event. I'd pair it with wide leg black trousers or a black pencil skirt. It's very glam and doesn't look too young from the photo, although if the material is of crappy quality that could change things.

The sweater...? Um, not so much. It looks.... cheap. Not a word you want to associate with cashmere! It's very gimmicky.

I've run into an interesting point in my life, where I like to dress in fun quirky things but have learned how to do it more mildly and with style (like the Guillaume Hinfray shoes with the piercing through it). I keep seeing things lately and think "Ah, I'm getting too old to wear something gimmicky." I'm 25 and will be turning 26 soon, and while my boyfriend (the indie NYC artist) wears plain skinny jeans and messy tshirts and is able to get away with it, I feel a new era for me is on the rise, where you should look a bit more presentable. I also feel that I need to choose wisely because I'm spending more on nicer clothes, and plan to wear them for many years.
Here I need the opinions of the fine ladies on the purse forum! Here are 2 items I've been eyeing but I'm not sure if they're too young for me, what do you think? Has anyone else gone through this?

I feel this would be ok because it's a tiny bit dressy...
http://theprocrastinatorium.com/want1.jpg

and this one I really like (who doesn't like a cashmere sweater?) and feel it would fit my hourglass figure but I feel it's kind of gimmicky (it reminds me of when it was in style to wear a shirt with a tie printed on, or a vest or whatnot).
http://theprocrastinatorium.com/want2.jpg

please help!! Thanks in advance for your opinions!

I love them both!! And both are perfect for you .

Yes i've gone through this stage about 2 years ago. Cept mines really more cause I would wear "hoochie" clothing/dresses when i went clubbing..and one day woke up and realized i'm getting older.. i'm 26 now. I started wearing dresses that were longer and stopped going clubbin altogether and start going to age appropriate lounges. Happens to a lot of us i think.. the whole realizing you need to start dressing more your age.

As for those tops you have picked out.. i'm not a huge fan of the first but i realy do like the second. I think that and a pair of skinnies with some nice heels would be great.

thanks so much for your opinions, please keep them coming! I need to decide soon, these are sales items (apparently being thrifty also comes with age~!)

LOL I wish I were 25/26 again. I do not think either of those tops are young looking. I actually think the opposite especially the first one. It seems like something an older lady would wear. And the 2nd not a fan of it either.

I'm in my late 30s and would wear the first one in a heartbeat! Very cute!

I don't think the 2nd one is flattering and would pass on it regardless of age. JMHO.

I'd wear both and I'm 33!
Great choices!
I know how you're feeling though and I changed a lot in my mid 20's wondering if what I liked was considered too young...I should have ignored those feelings and worn a bunch of stuff I was too scared to. You're 20's are for experimenting!

You're definitely not too old. The first top I could see being worn by a fashionable woman all the way through her 40s. It's classy but unique. The second top.. it's interesting, though with the right outfit, it would probably also work to maybe the mid 30s. The 20s are all about having fun and experimenting! (Like lil_peanut said!)