Travel Appropriate handbag for Southeast Asia (Vietnam and Cambodia)?

bisousx

O.G.
Jan 3, 2008
Hi all,

I am going with a few friends to Vietnam and Cambodia in 2 weeks... Sorry if this is a no-brainer question, but is it safe to bring a black Chanel flap? I've heard rumors about purse snatchers and warnings not to wear nice watches, jewelry, etc. but I wanted to get a second opinion from anyone who has traveled there recently. I'm hearing so many rumors about what it's like over there... but I wonder if the likelihood of getting a purse snatched is the same or more than somewhere in the US, like New York? I will be in Saigon and Angkor... We have a driver so I don't anticipate on walking around in the crowds much.

Definitely do not carry a Chanel! Even people that live there get their purse snatched and they are even designer bags! It is best to not draw attention to your belongings so you do not get targeted for any crimes. It is better to be safe than sorry!

No, leave it a home pls. Don't make yourseld to be the target. Safety always come first when travelling to places we are not familiar. A simple bag (sling bag is the best) to carry your necessities is good enough already.

Bring something simple with a zip top, like a Longchamp Le Pliage or LeSportsac bag. Have fun!

That is exactly what I was going to suggest! I went to mainland China last year with my sister for a day trip. The night before, she specifically told me not to wear any jewelry or designer bags. I used my tokidoki/LeSportsac bag. I would assume Vietnam & Cambodia is under the same category of *places to never wear a Chanel flap*...

I was in Cambodia this time last year...I echo the same compliments as everyone else. Leave the Chanel at home!! I used my Longchamp and a nylon Anya Hindmarch tote.

Once you get there, you won't even imagine how much you a) are happy you asked this question and b) got such great advice...

Have fun! I had an amazing time in Cambodia.

I agree with the rest, although I would suggest a worry-free cross-body bag (nylon is great). Longchamp totes are ok, but I've climbed Angkor Wat and luckily was able to leave my purse with my father who didn't. A tote would have gotten in the way. Also keep in mind that Cambodia and Vietnam are very humid. I'd worry about carrying a Chanel and sweating profusely. :P

I've had great experiences in both countries, but it might also be worth mentioning that there are swarms of motorcycles in Saigon. Like in any other major city, thieves on motorcycles can easily snatch a purse. Just be wary!

Have fun!

I would also recommend bringing absolutely nothing that you would be devastated if you never saw again. Seriously - no heirloom jewellery or anything too valuable period. You don't know what might be snatched off you and you will already be marked out as a tourist - best not to look like a wealthy one.

You will have an amazing time though! It's actually kind of nice not to be bothered by material possessions for a little while. Have fun!

Update: I arrived in Vietnam a few days ago. My parents live here in District 7 and I had asked them the same question about the purses. My dad said it's fine to wear a nice bag as long as you're not walking around in the city - which I knew I wasn't going to be (just walking in and out of stores, restaurants, etc. from the car. They almost insisted that I bring some nice bags to wear to parties, so I brought a Chanel for nighttime and my Kelly for daytime. There are some times that I feel unsafe wearing the purses, though, so I'll leave the purse with my driver.

There are so, so many fashionable girls (and guys) wearing Chanel, Hermes, Louis Vuitton at the nicer venues of Saigon. I was quite surprised at how much the city and its people have changed since I visited 10 years ago. I'm having a blast and already planning my trip back here in March :biggrin:

Last edited: