Appropriate Attire for Work?

Have you read the dress code policies?

Aside from that, wear what you want to wear.

There are always people who don't dress appropriately for any setting, and those who do. In the end... you decide for yourself, how much dressing the way that you want to dress... matters. For some people, blending in matters more.

Will you be treated differently based on the way you dress? Of course. There are very few public and social situations in which, this isn't true.

Women who choose to look professional acknowledge that the workplace is a workplace... and one's appearance is a reflection of professionalism. No one is advising women to give up "who they are". Rather... when you're working, you're being paid, to perform a job, at the behest of your employer. In so doing, you agree to give up some of your "personal liberties"... which you are often free to express to your heart's content, during your personal time.

Of course, there are some jobs that infringe upon personal liberties, beyond the workplace. So... merely abiding by a workplace dress code... seems pretty painless, on the whole.

GL w/your new job! :smile:

Most of my clothes are more flashy or sexy and I need to build a business wardrobe that is not too distracting. What do you consider cute AND appropriate for work?

Would these shoes be too much?

http://www.net-a-porter.com/product/430584

All of my shoes are either flat or super high and I need some more normal shoes. I don't want to look boring and conservative though.

Would a Birkin or Chanel be too flashy as a work bag?

What do you think?

^I just started... in a company that is selling chemical products. I am meeting many new potential clients. It is a rather dry field. Not very creative.

Thank you so much for your amazing advice! You gave me a lot of ideas and thoughts I did not consider before.

I think I'll get some nice ballet flats or small wedges. I just cannot wear small heels. I think a great work bag would be Bottega Veneta. It's not flashy but still fab and timeless. There are many males and very few females so I think I will be extra careful in the beginning.
Thank you again :smile:

Thank you everybody!

I appreciate all your thoughts and input. I guess, I will have to accept that in order to be taken seriously, I will have to give up on looking cute.
I find it sad, that as a woman we have to give up on certain things that make us who we are just not to distract from our capabilities. But I guess that's just the world we live in and I'll accept it :smile:

I think my biggest issue will be the shoes. I just hate the look of 2 inch heels (please, everybody who likes them, do not take offense please). But I will get used to, or find some fabulous Alaia ballet flats :graucho:

lots of good advice here.. I think the shoes you posted would likely be in appropriate, not because of their height but rather the strappy/sexy/casual vibe. I think 3-4" are completely appropriate for many work environments if the style is right - i.e. a simple closed toe single sole pump. I'm a big fan of the LK Bennett Sledge or Shilo, or Manolo BB, JC Abel, etc. They can be fairly high and still be appropriate IF YOU CAN WALK IN THEM:smile:

Yes to all of this.

It's not about being boring or giving up your individuality.
You're not going clubbing, you're going to work and if you want people to take you seriously and purchase from you, then you need to dress the part of a successful professional.
There's no reason why you can't wear a simple 3" black pump. Something like the LK Bennett Stila or Sledge? To me, ballet flats with a skirt or suit are too childish looking. Look around at what other successful female professionals are wearing. There's absolutely nothing wrong with playing up your femininity but not at the expense of short skirts, sky-high heels or cleavage. Express your individuality with some great jewelry pieces.
You have plenty of time to look cute after 5pm and on the weekends. Work is just that - work.

Everything said in this post!

I think that a Chanel bag would be too flashy for your field of work. The Birkin could be okay as it's unlikely to be recognised in male-dominated workplace.

This made me chuckle... Chanel would be too flashy but a Birkin wouldn't be?!

You would hate working when I am. The middle of the North Sea on an Oil Platform. This is it - image.jpg

I wear Converse with jeans and a polo shirt with my company branding. It's an office job too. This is me when I go outside... :smile:

This made me chuckle... Chanel would be too flashy but a Birkin wouldn't be?!
What's flashy about a Birkin? Nothing. That's precisely why people like them, because they are so understated. If it was recognised by someone who knew how much they cost (which seems unlikely, in this situation), it would be a problem, but that's a different matter.

Chanel, on the other hand, typically has at least one highly visible CC logo, plus chains and quilting that catch the eye. The logo and brand is recognisable to almost everyone, and almost everyone is aware that they are Very Expensive Bags.

A Birkin may not be 'bling' like Chanel but I think it's every bit as showy. I also don't get how you think no one would recognise a Birkin. They are one of the most recognisable bags in the world.

Please don't misunderstand me, I think if you feel you can wear designer to work you should take any designer bag you want. As long as it suits your needs, that's all that should matter.

A Birkin may not be 'bling' like Chanel but I think it's every bit as showy. I also don't get how you think no one would recognise a Birkin. They are one of the most recognisable bags in the world.

Please don't misunderstand me, I think if you feel you can wear designer to work you should take any designer bag you want. As long as it suits your needs, that's all that should matter.

I agree. I think with just about every reality tv star and pop star carrying a birkin it has become a symbol of flash. Would the average joe recognize it? Probably not. Though still it may be better to err on the conservative side if you're just starting out at a new job. There are other Hermes bags that fly under the radar like the Garden Party (more casual) or the White Bus. Though a Chanel Cerf could work, especially the version without the CC logo.

I try to use darker bags for work, that doesn't blind colleagues with colourful tones and flashy hardware. I need comfy shoes so only flats, unless I need to meet clients. Nothing too short so at most one or two inch above knees, or low cut (cleavage exposing). Hair is important, appropriate hair colour for me is natural brown. Jewelry must be modest.