Approaching An Sa For A Birkin Question

I just have to say I have learned sooooo much from this forum. I have done my homework by reading everything I can here.

I have used the information to have some great conversations over the phone and through email with a few SAs and I am telling you...my efforts are paying off!!!!

I was offered the opportunity to place a special order on a couple of bags today!!! After one email and one conversation.

You absolutely can get what you want quicker with a little knowledge and common courtesy.

you should always ask permission to pet them, then approach slowly, palm down and pat them under the chin, avoiding eye contact. You should then walk away slowly and quietly. Even a friendly one can be protective and bite if disturbed while sleeping, eating, tied up or in a car.

oh wait, thats approaching a strange dog. sorry.

J/K girls! I love this thread. Its preparing me for that long awaited day I get the nerve to walk into one of these stores. :girlsigh:

but Gaz (please don't take this the wrong way - you know I love you!)...I don't think this is sad at all, and I don't wish it was easier. Don't you think the more sought-after things should go to more established clients, with a proven appreciation of the brand? I know, as one of those myself, that I would be mighty cranky if I went into my store, only to be told all the things I was looking for had been sold to "walk-in" shoppers. I understand that it shouldn't be done as a stand-over tactic by the house, as it's sometimes implied happens, but I truely believe they should (and do) reward the regular, dedicated clients with the 'better' stock.

Other stores do it, too, not just Hermes. I am a client of a Blumarine/Anna Molinari boutique that does this for me as well. I'd be upset if my dedication wasn't respected by them, too.

I don't think it's a bad, or unnecessary practice to look after well-known clients.:smile:

ITA. All the brand name stores do it. From bags, shoes, cars (!!!), you name it.

Grands Fonds and jasperella, I think you girls are just very very lucky. I have been shopping at the Sydney store for 3 years on numerous occasions and I've established a very healthy relationship with my SA. I could tell because she's very eager to come and serve me when I arrive at the store and when my friends go to the store, she'd ask about me. Everytime I go to the store, I have a chat with her to catch up on things.

However, my SA still couldn't get me a Birkin bag (which is for my mother - but this is no longer an issue since I've picked one up for her when I was in Europe - very lucky I would say, a black one too), but I just want to point out the fact that it is indeed quite difficult to get hold of one "by order" in the Sydney store. I've asked her a few times and she's still reluctant to put an order down for me (giving me the standard "list is closed" excuse). There was one occasion she said if I would leave my contact number she'll keep an eye out for me. That never happened, and when I reminded her later on, she said they don't do that anymore. Doh! I just never bothered to ask her again.

Do I just happen to bump into an unhelpful SA? By the way, the amount we spent at the store's enough to buy a brand new car (well, it's not THAT much by Hermes standards but it is still a fair bit of money) so I doubt that's one of the reasons. ;)

My first visit to an H boutique was last month, and though I wasn't there to ask about a birkin, I think that they would have been open to it in the end. It helped to much to know a ton about the bags, leathers and colors (all learned here!!). As soon as I started asking questions like--"this is togo, right?", and "is that rose shocking of fuschia?", they were very friendly and I felt like they were showing me tons of stuff.
I put in an order for a bolide, the SA just found it for me and I received it today. She went above and beyond to find it, and I think my knowledge level helped!!
ck21: I think it also REALLY helped that you showed an interest in and appreciation for the overall brand itself. If I owned a store, and walk-in shoppers only were interested in my "hot" widely publicized product, and showed no appreciation for the other things I presented, I would not expect to see them again after I sold them the "hot" item. I would also look down my nose a bit at those who would not stop to really appreciate, or at least consider, my total collection, as I would have spent a great deal of time and effort culivating and editing it. Just MO.

You'd be surprised at how incredibly little money I'd spent at H before I was offered a Birkin.
Mine was not luck, either. It was the combo having a good SA and showing genuine knowledge and appreciation for the brand.

but Gaz (please don't take this the wrong way - you know I love you!)...I don't think this is sad at all, and I don't wish it was easier. Don't you think the more sought-after things should go to more established clients, with a proven appreciation of the brand? I know, as one of those myself, that I would be mighty cranky if I went into my store, only to be told all the things I was looking for had been sold to "walk-in" shoppers. I understand that it shouldn't be done as a stand-over tactic by the house, as it's sometimes implied happens, but I truely believe they should (and do) reward the regular, dedicated clients with the 'better' stock.

Other stores do it, too, not just Hermes. I am a client of a Blumarine/Anna Molinari boutique that does this for me as well. I'd be upset if my dedication wasn't respected by them, too.

I don't think it's a bad, or unnecessary practice to look after well-known clients.:smile:

ITA as well!