Apprehensive about Cleaning Suede...

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. At the risk of sounding like a baby, I'm simply too scared to try clean my suede Rolandos because I'm not good at hands-on tasks. More often than not I ruin what I try to fix, or simply ruin them accidentally in the first place - case in point being the damaged gold heels of my NPs.

That being said, my Rolandos really do need to be cleaned; they're looking a bit dirty after I wore them for a night out and I had a drink spilled on them :crybaby:.I already bought a cleaning spray and suede brush, all I need is advice from you ladies! Any special techniques, tips, ways to avoid damage?! Or should I get them professionally cleaned (perhaps a bit unnecessary..?)

2. The suede brushes are usually a little to "tough" for Louboutin suede.

3. Use a baby tooth brush. :yes: It's very soft.

4. I suggest a tooth brush too, with soft bristles.

5. I forgot to mention that I brushed (very gently) some of the dirty parts as a tester, without the spray..I hope that didn't do any damage. :sad: I bought a brush with softer bristles than the normal kind, but I guess I'll dig up any old toothbrushes and give it a go! Thanks ladies!

6. I wouldn't use a suede brush. I actually use one of those compressed sponges used for pet hair. It works great.

5-139866.jpg

7. this is my #1 reason for not buying suede. i hate when they get dirty!

8. oooh..there..there.., eggpudding...
    try using the apple suede cleaner with a toothbrush or gentle brushing with a suede brush (the rubber one). i have a suede boots which i once used for bushwalking, so it got rained and mudded, then i use the suede cleaner as instructed and it helped. my boots are dark gray so although i am sure it did not clean up everything, it did not show.
    good luck!

9. Yup...me too.

10. Suede gets dirty, but it is so pretty! I couldn't resist my suede boots, but like the OP I haven't had the nerve to clean them yet. Thanks for the suggestions, ladies, as I will use them as well to attempt to clean up my Lapinos.

11. I used one of those suede cleaners that come in a little block. You rub it over the shoe very gently and it crumbles as you use it. Then you brush off the crumbs with a soft brush (not a suede brush). I used it on a pair of suede VPs and they were fine. I'm in the UK so I don't know what this stuff is called in the states. I have also used it on a pair of mud splashed suede boots (not CL) and it worked very well.

12. ^Ooh, I'll be back in London in a few weeks, what's the name of it and where can I find this miracle product? TIA Mrs Peel! ;)

can, thanks! One side of my suede brush is rubber I think.. but it seems a bit tough as well. I still haven't dared attempt any cleaning with a toothbrush, partly because I haven't found the time as well. I hope there the dirt doesn't stay more persistent the longer you wait :sad:

13. ah, i think we have the same type of brush, i ruined the inside of my mulberry roxanne with the brush but the rubber side is soft and i have used it in all of my suede things including my suede ladygres. so it is safe.
    i think the sooner you treat the better...
    i hope it will go well!:tup:

14. Hallo,
    I'm away from home at the moment so I can't check the name of the suede cleaner. I bought it in Clarks but they do the same thing in Marks and Spencer. HTH.
    I actually managed to get chocolate off the suede. I got a pair of suede VPs from Ebay and the seller put in a bag of M&Ms as a gift from the USA. This was a lovely thought but didn't take into account the British postal service throwing the box around. The bag split during transit and a little got on the shoes!. Luckily it cleaned off OK.