Apply REG np over Gel polish -- Question! >>>

diram

Jul 18, 2010
Hello ladies ~

I would like to use a regular np shade over my existing gel polish mani. I have a few questions:

1-
Should I use a reg np base coat first?
Or, do I just apply the reg np color right over the gel mani?

2-
I did a swatch of a reg np color over a gel mani a few weeks ago.
When I removed the reg np swatch of color with some NON-acetone remover, it still took the glossy finish off the gel polish color beneath. I thought NON-acetone was not supposed to affect gel polish. ?

Can I "refresh" my gel mani by applying gel topcoat again?

Thanks!

Hello ladies ~

I would like to use a regular np shade over my existing gel polish mani. I have a few questions:

1-
Should I use a reg np base coat first?
Or, do I just apply the reg np color right over the gel mani?

2-
I did a swatch of a reg np color over a gel mani a few weeks ago.
When I removed the reg np swatch of color with some NON-acetone remover, it still took the glossy finish off the gel polish color beneath. I thought NON-acetone was not supposed to affect gel polish. ?

Can I "refresh" my gel mani by applying gel topcoat again?

Thanks!
Hi Diram, that's odd that the non-acetone remover took your shine away. What gel topcoat are you using? I've used CND shellac and Harmony Gelish and it keeps its shine. I use UV products and light so I cannot attest to LED cured topcoats though. However, yes, you can refresh your gel mani with an additional topcoat without putting base gel on again. I have done it often.
Also, I don't use a base coat of RNP (regular nail polish) on top of gel. I often used to apply RNP over my gel manis, wait overnight and then apply a gel topcoat. Making sure the RNP is fully dry is key. It was a great way to use my RNPs.
Hope this helps. :smile:

Hi Kailugal,

Thanks for the info!
At the time, I was using Mally gel topcoat. I am now using OPI gel topcoat. Hopefully, the non acetone will not affect the OPI one.

Thanks for the tip about using a gel topcoat over my reg np after 24 hrs! I will give that a try!

I do the same as Kailuagal - no RNP base, just RNP color straight over the gel mani, wait til next day and apply a gel top coat again.

I don't have good luck in removing the RNP layer and keeping the gel mani tho, it usually starts to fail pretty soon after. I think this is because I use RNP base coat under my gel mani to facilitate removal and it is a point of failure when any kind of remover seeps under there.

And yes, I often perk up a mani with another layer of top coat. It just might take you a little longer to soak off is all unless you really break the seal with a file first (I never bother).

Thanks to both of you for the suggestions!

I did a "test" layer over my OPI Pompeii Purple Gelcolo mani with reg polish, and the removal of the reg np didn't ruin the gel mani at all! My gel mani was just as shiny as before the reg np application. I guess the problem I had before was due to the Mally gel polish. ?

Btw, I am so glad I did a "test" layer!
I used OPI reg np in the shade "AmazOn AmazOff" (the deep teal shade from the Brazil collection) and OMG did it stain my SKIN as I was removing the polish!
I should have believed the reviews I had read.... My hands looked bruised. It took quite a lot of non-acetone remover and some coconut oil to finally get my skin clean. Terrible terrible OPI color...wow. I have never had this happen with any other reg np color before. Shame, as OPI AA is such a pretty shade.