Apple Leather Care

kaojoe

Jun 16, 2008
A couple of specific questions regarding Apple Leather products and Tano bags.

Do you just apply the Guard spray once or do you apply it repeatedly as the bag wears?

I have had my bag for about a week and want to keep the shine, which is beginning to wear away. Do you recommend I use the spray or the conditioner?

I spray my bag before initial use (2-3 coats). I then spray as needed when I think my Tanos need a bit more shine (this isn't very often). I have the apple conditioner but have never used it on my Tanos.

I used the conditioner and then the spray on my truffle boogie, but I don't think the conditioner is necessary for new bags. It's more to clean up older leather. Which I have to say, it works really well on. I found a beautiful Banana Republic black leather jacket at Goodwill for $15 last month. It needed a little tlc and the conditioner was just the thing. I plan on re-spraying my Tano bags now and then because I live in a very damp and rainy climate.

Conditioner first, a couple of times (overnight drying)... then spray.

I use the conditioner even on new bags as a preventative measure. I've found that it helps to protect the bag from the appearance of scratches. If you have dry skin you know what I'm talking about. You'll see a scratch on dry skin, as where if you've been moisturized the appearance of the scratch is less to none. Sorry for the bad analogy. LoL

I typically just spray mine (unless that particular bag would look better getting distressed as it ages). I had to use the cleaner and conditioner on my Behind the Seen (I got dye on it from my clothes) and it worked pretty well considering it's a stark white bag and it was black dye. I tend to not condition my bags because I am low maintenance lol but I would if it needed it.

^^ I've been a bit worried about not treating my Amanda ... but you've never treated yours - and they've held up well ..... that's good to know.

Does anyone know if I should treat my LRC when I get her tomorrow?

I'm so glad you posted this as I also want to keep my new bags looking new and shiny. Does anyone know if you can by apple guarde in a store or is it only online?

Hmmmmmm I actually have no idea @ lnt although I do remember seeing a thread (maybe on the handbags & purses forum) about that very issue... if you can't find Apple products you might be able to find Wilson's leather products... I've heard that works just fine too.

I bought mine from leatherstuff.com (watch for codes, they seem to have them pretty regularly and are posted in the deals and steals section). But I read on another board that someone found them at Burlington Coat Factory as well.

Not at all beeb! I've neverrrrrrrrr had a problem with crunch leather in the rain! (I can't speak for the other leathers but I think you only have crunch so far, right?)