Apple Leather Care

kaojoe

Jun 16, 2008
A couple of specific questions regarding Apple Leather products and Tano bags.

Do you just apply the Guard spray once or do you apply it repeatedly as the bag wears?

I have had my bag for about a week and want to keep the shine, which is beginning to wear away. Do you recommend I use the spray or the conditioner?

kmh1190

Purse crazed
O.G.
Feb 23, 2008
Northern California/Central Valley
I spray my bag before initial use (2-3 coats). I then spray as needed when I think my Tanos need a bit more shine (this isn't very often). I have the apple conditioner but have never used it on my Tanos.

fafnir

O.G.
Jul 25, 2008
Portland
I used the conditioner and then the spray on my truffle boogie, but I don't think the conditioner is necessary for new bags. It's more to clean up older leather. Which I have to say, it works really well on. I found a beautiful Banana Republic black leather jacket at Goodwill for $15 last month. It needed a little tlc and the conditioner was just the thing. I plan on re-spraying my Tano bags now and then because I live in a very damp and rainy climate.

Crazy4Handbags

Broccoli, yum!
O.G.
May 1, 2008
Grunge and Starbucks
Conditioner first, a couple of times (overnight drying)... then spray.

I use the conditioner even on new bags as a preventative measure. I've found that it helps to protect the bag from the appearance of scratches. If you have dry skin you know what I'm talking about. You'll see a scratch on dry skin, as where if you've been moisturized the appearance of the scratch is less to none. Sorry for the bad analogy. LoL

TygerKitty

~*~ addicted ~*~
O.G.
Feb 26, 2008
Colorado
I typically just spray mine (unless that particular bag would look better getting distressed as it ages). I had to use the cleaner and conditioner on my Behind the Seen (I got dye on it from my clothes) and it worked pretty well considering it's a stark white bag and it was black dye. I tend to not condition my bags because I am low maintenance lol but I would if it needed it.

Peeking_Around

Live, Love, Laugh
O.G.
Sep 22, 2007
Deep in the heart of TX~
^^ I've been a bit worried about not treating my Amanda ... but you've never treated yours - and they've held up well ..... that's good to know.

Does anyone know if I should treat my LRC when I get her tomorrow?

lnt815

Aug 6, 2008
I'm so glad you posted this as I also want to keep my new bags looking new and shiny. Does anyone know if you can by apple guarde in a store or is it only online?

TygerKitty

~*~ addicted ~*~
O.G.
Feb 26, 2008
Colorado
Hmmmmmm I actually have no idea @ lnt although I do remember seeing a thread (maybe on the handbags & purses forum) about that very issue... if you can't find Apple products you might be able to find Wilson's leather products... I've heard that works just fine too.

fafnir

O.G.
Jul 25, 2008
Portland
I bought mine from leatherstuff.com (watch for codes, they seem to have them pretty regularly and are posted in the deals and steals section). But I read on another board that someone found them at Burlington Coat Factory as well.

beeb

O.G.
May 29, 2008
NYC
To spray, or not to spray?

Does the leather really run/bleed in inclement weather? Thanks!

TygerKitty

~*~ addicted ~*~
O.G.
Feb 26, 2008
Colorado
Not at all beeb! I've neverrrrrrrrr had a problem with crunch leather in the rain! (I can't speak for the other leathers but I think you only have crunch so far, right?)

beeb

O.G.
May 29, 2008
NYC
Well, right now I have nothing, but in the mail, I have crunch! :tup: Thank you, TK!