Tech apple help transferring itunes library from macbook to imac

lucretias

I am the one that I want!
O.G.
Jan 4, 2006
Hi all,

I've been online, but am more confused. Thought tpf'ers might know a good easy answer.

I just bought an imac and don't know how to transfer my itunes library from my macbook to my new imac. I would call tech support, but they are close for the day. If anybody knows a quick easy way I would really appreciate the help. thanks!

Your itunes library should be within itunes, not on your computer.
Hook your device up to your new computer. Doesn't it automatically find your itunes account?

No, she wants to transfer her iTunes library from the iTunes folder on her Macbook to her new iMac. Are you going to use both of these machines? (If so, you can use Sharing, which allows up to 5 computers to use one computer's iTunes setup.) If not, I will have to research and get back to you after dinner. :smile:

hi, thanks for responding and clarifying vendrazi. I have both computers in front of me. I also have a firewire if that helps, BUT I just used migration assistant with the firewire and for some reason my itunes library didn't transfer. I am a sad non techy person!

I was asking if you were planning on using both of these machines in your house at the same time (ie, one in your office, one in the bedroom), because you can use sharing over a wireless network to share the library.

Okay, still haven't looked up a clear enough answer, will be back soon...

Okay, here seems to be how to do it:

* shut down your Macbook. (Don't just put it sleep. Totally off.)

* hook up your Macbook to the iMac using the Firewire cable. Restart the Macbook and hold down the letter T. The Macbook should go into Target Disk mode -- It should show up on the Desktop of your iMac looking like an external hard drive (and on the screen of the macbook should be a symbol that indicates "I'm not a Macbook right now").

* copy your entire iTunes folder from Macbook>Music>iTunes to iMac>Music>iTunes. Depending on how much music/movies/other you have, this may take most of your natural life. Get a nice soothing cup of chamomile tea during this step. (Although since it's over Firewire, it shouldn't take TOO long.)

* if you have stuff from iTunes Music Store, I think you'll need to authorize the iMac to play it before it will play. I'm not too sure about this (I paid to de-DRM all of my music). So you may want to do a web search on this.

Btw, if you've bought stuff from iTunes Music Store and are planning to get rid of the Macbook, you need to DEAUTHORIZE the Macbook from using your stuff. It's a menu item in iTunes. Make sure you do that before other people use the machine.

Report back and say if this was helpful! (Or worked!)

Last edited:
well, i tried it but couldn't get beyond the t, my screen on my macbook shows a "y" or firewire symbol, but nothing else. it keeps dancing around the screen. so i couldn't move beyond the next step. I will call apple support tomorrow and see what they can do for me. I think I will need to be guided step by step. thanks for trying to help! :yes:

i did it the hard way when i needed to transfer mine from my desktop pc to my new laptop.

this is what i did

create a folder on your desktop - name itunes or whatever you want.

open your itunes on your previous computer - highlight/select ALL songs (click the first song, scroll all the way down to the very last song - hold shift and select the last song - all your songs should then be highlighted)

drag all those songs to the folder your created on your desktop.

then transfer that folder to a flash drive
transfer that folder from your flash drive to your new computer - put it somewhere where you won't delete it because itunes will need it to find the songs from now on.

in itunes find where you add songs and select "add folder" and find that folder

not sure what to do with apps or other stuff, but that's how i did it with just songs.
then you have to authorize your new computer in itunes so that it will allow you to sync all those songs you downloaded off itunes.

i did it the hard way when i needed to transfer mine from my desktop pc to my new laptop.

this is what i did

create a folder on your desktop - name itunes or whatever you want.

open your itunes on your previous computer - highlight/select ALL songs (click the first song, scroll all the way down to the very last song - hold shift and select the last song - all your songs should then be highlighted)

drag all those songs to the folder your created on your desktop.

then transfer that folder to a flash drive
transfer that folder from your flash drive to your new computer - put it somewhere where you won't delete it because itunes will need it to find the songs from now on.

in itunes find where you add songs and select "add folder" and find that folder

not sure what to do with apps or other stuff, but that's how i did it with just songs.
then you have to authorize your new computer in itunes so that it will allow you to sync all those songs you downloaded off itunes.

thats what I did.

You should be able to open it and use it EXACTLY like a disk. (Like attaching an iPod, or any of these other solutions.) Copy the entire iTunes folder over to the iMac (putting it in the Music folder, same place as on the Macbook).