apple garde vs. lubriderm

didi78

O.G.
May 20, 2006
I just conditioned my sky blue hobo with AG conditioner and it seems to be quite buttery and smooshy. BUt then again, my sky blue hobo's leather is the older type, so it was already pretty smooshy already. Compared to the lubriderm though...I really can't tell. Once i get my cornflower shrug resolved with Shirise, I'll try the AG on it and compare it to my ink shrug that I lubed (a more scientifically valid research design). I do LOVE my ink shrug right now, the leather is UNBELIEVABLE! I pet it like it's my cat or something! Or should i say it's like my pet goat. HAHA. Does that make me mentally unstable? I just sprayed my ink shrug with AG spray...we'll see if anything changes with the leather.

Oh- let us know if there's differnce between the two! If you think you're losing it- I used a polishing cloth to shine up my silver hardware on my Bbag the other day! I did the zippers and everything! I was laughing at myself!

zacorey said:
Oh- let us know if there's differnce between the two! If you think you're losing it- I used a polishing cloth to shine up my silver hardware on my Bbag the other day! I did the zippers and everything! I was laughing at myself!

haha! that's a great idea! time to get out polishing cloth too!

I've been curious about this too. I don't really have any shiny or veiny ones, so I haven't felt the need to experiment on a whole bag, but I do use the Appleguard sparingly on small areas all the time. The reason I use the Appleguard specifically is because it's one of the only conditioners that's silicone-free. I don't have a bottle of Lubriderm handy, but I'm betting it has a silicone base, so I'm sticking with the Appleguard until I take a closer look at the ingredients on the Lubriderm. I'm sure it's fine - lots of leather conditioners have silicone (I know Coach does), but they're bound to have a slightly different result.

style101 said:
I've been curious about this too. I don't really have any shiny or veiny ones, so I haven't felt the need to experiment on a whole bag, but I do use the Appleguard sparingly on small areas all the time. The reason I use the Appleguard specifically is because it's one of the only conditioners that's silicone-free. I don't have a bottle of Lubriderm handy, but I'm betting it has a silicone base, so I'm sticking with the Appleguard until I take a closer look at the ingredients on the Lubriderm. I'm sure it's fine - lots of leather conditioners have silicone (I know Coach does), but they're bound to have a slightly different result.

Here's the ingredient list for lubriderm (from the Pfizer website). I am not sure if one of these ingredients is silicone? Any chemists in the audience? The AG does not have an ingredient list on it so I can't compare.

Water, Mineral Oil, Petrolatum, Sorbitol Solution, Stearic Acid, Lanolin, Lanolin Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate/PGE-100 Stearate, Triethanolamine, Dimethicone, Propylene Glycol, Microcrystalline Wax, Tri (PPG-3 Myristyl Ether) Citrate, Disodium EDTA, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Xanthan Gum, Butylparaben, and Methyldibromo Glutaronitrile.

Roo said:
Here's the ingredient list for lubriderm (from the Pfizer website). I am not sure if one of these ingredients is silicone? Any chemists in the audience? The AG does not have an ingredient list on it so I can't compare.

Water, Mineral Oil, Petrolatum, Sorbitol Solution, Stearic Acid, Lanolin, Lanolin Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate/PGE-100 Stearate, Triethanolamine, Dimethicone, Propylene Glycol, Microcrystalline Wax, Tri (PPG-3 Myristyl Ether) Citrate, Disodium EDTA, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Xanthan Gum, Butylparaben, and Methyldibromo Glutaronitrile.

Thanks, Roo. The Dimethicone is silicone, but it's not very high up the list, so there's a smaller percentage. The Appleguard has none.

didi78 said:
I do LOVE my ink shrug right now, the leather is UNBELIEVABLE! I pet it like it's my cat or something! Or should i say it's like my pet goat. HAHA. Does that make me mentally unstable?

:roflmfao: don't worry, you're not the only one. I always pet my dolma green when I use it.

style101 said:
The reason I use the Appleguard specifically is because it's one of the only conditioners that's silicone-free. I don't have a bottle of Lubriderm handy, but I'm betting it has a silicone base, so I'm sticking with the Appleguard until I take a closer look at the ingredients on the Lubriderm. I'm sure it's fine - lots of leather conditioners have silicone (I know Coach does), but they're bound to have a slightly different result.

hmm..... is there something I should know about silicone? My face lotion has it:amazed: Is it bad for skin? Not good for leather? oh dear oh dear, my face and my bags :sad: .. but it makes the face looks and feels sooo smooth...

I sprayed my sky blue hobo with AG 3 times after conditioning it. I think the color looks richer (not as bright blue), and the leather is very smooshy! It looks great! Almost new, though there is some "yellowing" around the handle, mainly on the thread part. Is there anything I can do about it?

Also, the painted part of the leather (where the seams are) seem to be a little discolored also. any suggestions? THANKS!

Soleil said:
hmm..... is there something I should know about silicone? My face lotion has it:amazed: Is it bad for skin? Not good for leather? oh dear oh dear, my face and my bags :sad:

HAHA. I think silicone is good for face...I know my clinique moisture surge has it and I LOVE IT. :smile:

didi78 said:
HAHA. I think silicone is good for face...I know my clinique moisture surge has it and I LOVE IT. :smile:
Oh! Great to hear it's good for face :biggrin: phew~~

But is it bad for leather bags? One thing about AG is the smell.... i don't like it:yucky:

yea the smell is pretty terrible. my whole house smells like it right now and i feel like it leaves a slight smell on my bag too. also, it may be my mind playing tricks, but i feel like my bag is sorta slimey. maybe it needs to dry more, like overnight or something.

i don't know if they are bad for leather bags, but like roo said, balenciaga NY uses it so it can't be that bad! Your daughter is so cute btw!