"Apparent size" of diamond

IntlSet

Bonjour!
Jan 29, 2006
1Carat_5.jpg

Image from whiteflash.com

Umm, which looks bigger to you? To my eye, the one of the left looks much larger. Is this because of its cut? A better cut, I assume?

I've heard some of you gals refer to some diamonds looking like "frozen spit." I can't tell which one, if either, looks like that? My eye for these things is terrible!

They're pretty much the same, size wise. The one on the left looks larger because the edges of the diamond on the right aren't bright-- they fade into the background. It could be the cut and/or the way light is hitting it.

Attachments

• comp.jpg
    comp.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 143
A poor quality stone is cloudy and appears white instead of clear. Poor quality stones combined with a cut that doesn't flatter the stone leads to diamonds that look flat white, with no shine and little reflection of light, hence the term "frozen spit".

A poor quality stone is cloudy and appears white instead of clear. Poor quality stones combined with a cut that doesn't flatter the stone leads to diamonds that look flat white, with no shine and little reflection of light, hence the term "frozen spit".

Hey HauteMama, does the one of the left look more cloudy to you?

It does to me, but I somehow prefer the look of the one on the left to the one of the right... :confused1:

Hmm I like the look of the stone on the right even if it looks smaller. The one on the left looks white and cloudy...then again maybe it's light.

i am no expert, but i think you would have to view them in person...from the photos i think the right looks like it would be "sparklier"

are the color/clarity similar?

I think it is hard to tell. The platform on which they are on doesn't allow light to enter the stoner properly like an open setting in the back of a stone. I would have to see them both set or not against black velvet to be able to tell

I think it's the way the light is hitting them. I'd say they are both the same size and quality wise. Some dias can look bigger because they are more shallow than others. That's why there is an ideal cut and good dias should fall w/in those guidelines. I've never heard dias referred to as frozen spit but I would assume those are poor quality dias. A good dia should be so clear you almost don't see it.:yes:

the one on the left has no personality IMO, it's looks cloudy and white/milky as opposed to crisp and clear.
The one on the right looks strange to me too.

Are these pics sent to you or something you found on wf?

It hard to make an good decision based on a picture.

The one on the right, I'm going to guess the problem is the cut, that why the dark areas. Maybe the grading is a lower end cut quality.
The dark areas almost are like the "bow ties' one can get with oval diamonds.
Does that make sense?