Appalling customer behavior at Hermes!

I'm thinking that only in Japan could this happen. The SA was trained well according to Hermes Japanese standards and she deserves a raise! I think she is a credit to her store manager. If this man was a regular customer, he will probably apologize in some fashion. Send her a Chanel bag.:lol:

tokyogirl said:
.....You can tell the poor sales associate is completely stresse, but she continues to be polite to the customer and WALKS HIM TO THE DOOR and thanks him.

Now if that isn't the very picture of grace. That poor SA!

Appalling is the perfect adjective to describe that unforgiveable tantrum.

kitskats said:
Now if that isn't the very picture of grace. That poor SA!

Appalling is the perfect adjective to describe that unforgiveable tantrum.

this makes my skin crawl. :throwup: . No class and no place for him at Hermes or anyplace else for that matter.

tokyogirl said:
I hate stereotyping people, but in Japan (and probably other parts of the country) you have these older generation of men who think women, especially in a service/retail industry, can be treated like dirt.

goodness gracious - all i'm saying is that he's very luck that i wasn't the SA. i would have thrown the box back at his head! poor gal.:sad:

tokyogirl said:
At the H boutique today while I was persuing for shawls, from the back of the room I heard a man shouting. When I looked back, it was a little Japanese man in his 60's, who looks like the type of Japan old man that I do not like (I am of Japanese ancestry), was yelling at the sales associate. Of course, he was so loud that everybody looked back. You can tell the sales associate was desperately trying to appease the customer and explain (not sure about what). I wasn't sure what the commotion and the problem was all about -- maybe it's a return?

In the US, when you have a customer yelling and being rude to a sales associate, usually the manager comes out and handles it, right? Well, in this case, the transaction continues with the man continuing to yell to the discomfort of all of the customers (and the poor sales associate) in the store.

Then, to my utter shocking surprise, this man hits/throws hermes box and bag at the sales associate's head telling her that she needs to be more careful. I was wondering when the :censor: :censor: they were going to call in security. :rant: You can tell the poor sales associate is completely stresse, but she continues to be polite to the customer and WALKS HIM TO THE DOOR and thanks him.

I am absolutely appalled by this type of behavior. If this were the US, security would be called in and he would be told never to come back.

ABSOLUTELY appalling.

:rant: if this would have happened in NY he would have been used as roadkill!

tokyogirl said:
I hate stereotyping people, but in Japan (and probably other parts of the country) you have these older generation of men who think women, especially in a service/retail industry, can be treated like dirt.

Reminds me -- I was running a booth at a US convention by myself and a client came up to me and was furious that he wasn't represented at the booth the way he expected. He was an older man. After sincerely apologizing on behalf of my company and offering to get him what he needed, there was still no appeasing him. It actually looked like he was about to strike me, he was so angry and very close to lashing out. Thank goodness I was able to pull away. To him, his honor had been shamed in some way. I would get frowns, reprimands or angry silence from demanding clients but that looming threat of violence was vulgar to me.

None of the exhibitors came to my aid either which pissed me off since we were to be sharing the same area for a whole week. I think the Hermes SAs should have at least tried to diffuse the situation -- the man was bent on being angry with that one SA, so better to get her out of sight and have another SA with a "clean slate" take over.

rainrowan said:
Reminds me -- I was running a booth at a US convention by myself and a client came up to me and was furious that he wasn't represented at the booth the way he expected. He was an older man. After sincerely apologizing on behalf of my company and offering to get him what he needed, there was still no appeasing him. It actually looked like he was about to strike me, he was so angry and very close to lashing out. Thank goodness I was able to pull away. To him, his honor had been shamed in some way. I would get frowns, reprimands or angry silence from demanding clients but that looming threat of violence was vulgar to me.

None of the exhibitors came to my aid either which pissed me off since we were to be sharing the same area for a whole week. I think the Hermes SAs should have at least tried to diffuse the situation -- the man was bent on being angry with that one SA, so better to get her out of sight and have another SA with a "clean slate" take over.

rainrowan, it sounded like you wre in an ugly situation too. I read between the lines that the angry man was Japanese or some other Asian ethnicity.

I also agree with you as to questioning why the other SA and the damn manager didn't help out. Interestingly enough, all of the male SAs were out of sight at that store when all of this was happening (there are at least 2 male SA in that store and at least 10 other female SA -- no excuse that they didn't see or were on a different floor. This is a TINY boutique, closer to the size of the H boutiques you see in airport).