Apartment-hunting makes me want to move to a desert island

When are you looking to move? BF and I are just moving into a new place (condo) and within the next few weeks I expect to be getting a sofabed. If you get desperate and want to come to town at some point after August 26th I could probably put you up while you look at places. Our place isn't far from the El. PM me if you want to take me up on the offer.

kezza said:
When are you looking to move? BF and I are just moving into a new place (condo) and within the next few weeks I expect to be getting a sofabed. If you get desperate and want to come to town at some point after August 26th I could probably put you up while you look at places. Our place isn't far from the El. PM me if you want to take me up on the offer.

Kezza, you are a sweetheart! If worse comes to worse, I will crash with my quasi-S.O. who lives in Gold Coast. The neighbhors I'm mainly looking in are Lincoln Park and Lakeview. I'm also looking in Wicker Park/Bucktown, but I'm less familiar with that area so its tough to tell what's a good location and what's not.

I will buy you a cheese plate when I come to Chicago for being so sweet to make the offer! :flowers:

BF and I are in the Uptown/Ravenswood area, which is just north of lakeview. I'm jealous that SO (pseudo or not) lives in Gold Coast, we spend a lot of time down there.
Here's a map of Chicago's neighborhoods, to give you an idea:
Chicago%20Neighborhood%20Map.gif

Ah, Google saves the day. I did a google image search for "chicago neighborhood map." I have a better "real" neighborhood wall map, a gift from an old flame. It's weird that this one merges all the small neighborhoods near and including Gold Coast. Streeterville, River North, and Gold Coast are all listed as "City North," Hrmph, no good.

Oooh, good luck, girl! My brother's girlfriend lives in Wicker Park, it's fun, full of 20 something hipster types, art galleries, and indie boutiques. My ex-boyfriend used to live in Wicker Park too, but he moved to NJ, so not only is it a great community, but it's officially home to one less jerk ;) !

foxhunt006 said:
Ugh, I'm in Redmond, WA and apartment hunting is really awful here as well. From what I've heard, sounds like Microsoft is hiring a whole slew of new people and most places are 100% occupied... Rent will be going up when our lease is over and we won't have a place to move to. :Push:

I got so fed up I'm now looking to buy a condo. :sad:

Yes, it's getting filled up around here quick with MS expanding so much...1.3 million square feet of office space in the Redmond area alone! That translates into thousands of new hires, who all need a place to live :yes:

IntlSet said:
Aww, thanks for remembering, Mandy! I'm hunting for a 3 bedroom place for all of us. I don't want to leave the other girl out.

I remember that thread, too! Good for you in finding a 3 bedroom...another good Karma story :yes: :wlae:

I just went through apartment hunting in Boston..I'm in upstate NY. It was absolutely horrid! Originally we were looking for a 3 bedroom apt. but found out my 3rd roommate not only wanted to bring her black lab puppy but only could contribute $500 a month toward the apt...int he back bay!! :wtf:

Needless to say, that didn't work out. So my other roommate and I were left to find a 2 bedroom. Every realtor I called would take down my info and our requests (which wasn't even that specific) and then disappear. One actually had the nerve to take down my info and told me he had a bunch of apts available and after a few days of un-returned messages my FATHER had to call. He finally returned the call and got all annoyed and told me there was nothing available in the area for our price range. :rant: I have a big pet peeve when people don't take me seriously because I am a) young and b) a girl.

I ended up finding a lovely group through craigslist and a great apt.

Apartment hunting is a pain... it may be worth just flying out for a week and looking with agents and getting to know the areas... or maybe your quasi-SO can check a few places out for you? Last summer my bf was looking from DC and he tried to do it from afar but it was just easier and less stressful for him to fly out a few weekends and search (plus he got to see me:P ). I don't think the whole landlord wanting to meet you thing is weird, because my friends have run into that too... its mostly for smaller buildings, not the huge high rises because the indivudual people take a larger hit than the huge apartment buildings. Good luck... hope something turns up soon! Tell your friends to get their butts in gear and help you look though! Not fair that you're doing all of the work!