Anyway to tell if my 12a jumbo was repainted?

Thank you so much ccbaggirl, I called chanel repair dept and the guy who worked there told me to bring it in and he'll try to see if he can tell if it was refinished. The bag looks different and photographs differently in various lighting so I agree it's hard to tell from just looks. I took this pic in my kitchen and I would say this most resembles what the color looks like in natural light. My sister told me to just enjoy the bag and I do live her, but just need to know the truth about whether it was refinished. This unfortunately is the downside to buying preloved :sad:

i think mine looks like that as well irl under natural light indoors.

Thank you so much ccbaggirl, I called chanel repair dept and the guy who worked there told me to bring it in and he'll try to see if he can tell if it was refinished. The bag looks different and photographs differently in various lighting so I agree it's hard to tell from just looks. I took this pic in my kitchen and I would say this most resembles what the color looks like in natural light. My sister told me to just enjoy the bag and I do live her, but just need to know the truth about whether it was refinished. This unfortunately is the downside to buying preloved :sad:

Your sister sounds like a smart beautiful woman [emoji12][emoji12][emoji12][emoji12] hehehe
You should listen to me. The bag is gorgeous and I would gladly take it from you to put you out of your misery [emoji7][emoji7][emoji7][emoji7][emoji7]

While it's true some had the white specs, not nearly all did. I know some people got there bags replaced (exchanged) but I never heard of Chanel actually doing something to the bags in question. (re-dying or any other sort of process) but if people on the forum said they did, I could have missed that.

Anyway I'm not sure how you can tell for sure without any obvious signs, but see how it feels. Chanel re-dyes or cleanings are really like a paint job and the leather will feel stiffer afterwards. Look all around the hardware and grommets etc and see if it looks like any excess paint etc. is on them.

Alternatively maybe you can send the bag to Entinceler. I know they don't do higher serial # by pics anymore so by sending it to them, you can see if they have an opinion on the leather since they will have it in hand and also you can double check authenticity.

Good luck. The seller would be a real creep not to have disclosed this if this is indeed the case.

So I checked the hardware and no paint, and I felt the bag up and it feels and smells like leather:lol: I tried to compare it to the way my other caviar flaps feel and I have to say they all feel and look different, I'm thinking it is the fact they came from different cows :smile: But in all seriousness thank you for the advice,the leather feels soft and stiff at the same time so I really can't tell, I'm going to take it to chanel next week and see if they can tell. Ty again my friend:smile:

Hi dira, both my 12A jumbo and m/l don't have any white dots. I did see a few posts with this problem. I think if it was re-dyed it would feel stiff. Also maybe because of the leather being iridescent it catches the light differently depending if it's natural or direct sunlight. For sure if it was dyed that should have been in the description. That would make me so mad if it wasn't listed. I just read that you'll take it to Chanel, please let us know what they say. I'm sending you good thoughts my dear friend, I'm sure it's going to be o.k. but better to let them check her out. :hugs:

Hi dira, both my 12A jumbo and m/l don't have any white dots. I did see a few posts with this problem. I think if it was re-dyed it would feel stiff. Also maybe because of the leather being iridescent it catches the light differently depending if it's natural or direct sunlight. For sure if it was dyed that should have been in the description. That would make me so mad if it wasn't listed.

Ty kittymoomoo! 😘

Its possible if they were having issues, chanel would have tried to finish the bags as apposed to scrapping them, so the woman you purchased it from may not know herself. From the pictures it doesn't look like it was painted but I'm no expert. If it was finished, it looks like they did a great job ha but i understand that would be dissapointing

Its possible if they were having issues, chanel would have tried to finish the bags as apposed to scrapping them, so the woman you purchased it from may not know herself. From the pictures it doesn't look like it was painted but I'm no expert. If it was finished, it looks like they did a great job ha but i understand that would be dissapointing

Ty chanelia:P

Hi everyone, just a quick update. I want to thank all of the lovely ladies on this thread and the ones whom I spoke with outside of the thread including ********, willeyi, zasha, and hippo@alice whom were all extremely helpful. So there were apparently some variation in the color of 12a produced amusing some bags to be more saturated with color than others. Also, You can tell if the bag is painted by texture, smell, looking at the thread as the paint applied would be to the entire bag including the thread. Lastly you can also compare the color and thread of the handle straps to the bag and that will help determine if it was refinished. I am now almost positive that my bag was not repainted just a bit more saturated in color hence the dark and slight brownish tint look in certain lighting.