Anything to be done to stop black PS1 hardware from chipping?

bumble1

Aug 12, 2007
I excitedly ordered a black PS1 from across the country after discussing my concerns with the salesperson about chipping. I received it yesterday, and after careful inspection I already see signs of the metal showing through on the side of the clasp. And this was supposedly a piece from back stock that never hit the sales floor! I'm so disappointed. I love the bag, but I can't imagine keeping it if the wear is already showing. Should I just give up on the black clasp and get a gunmetal one? For those who never have had chipping with their black clasp, was it from careful handling, or perhaps some batches are more resistant than others?

every black clasp I've seen at Barneys NY is chipped just from being on the sales floor. I won't go near them. the brass/gold at least looks like a fun aged look when it does .. the black just looks terrible and cheap. no idea why they even make this clasp! i however don't own one so i could in fact be being paranoid and look forward to others chipping in ..

every black clasp I've seen at Barneys NY is chipped just from being on the sales floor. I won't go near them. the brass/gold at least looks like a fun aged look when it does .. the black just looks terrible and cheap. no idea why they even make this clasp! i however don't own one so i could in fact be being paranoid and look forward to others chipping in ..

Wow...it's amazing that retailers are willing to put these bags on the sales floor. I suppose it at least gives the buyer a heads up about chipping as opposed to not realizing and finding chips just a few weeks later. Now that the gunmetal has arrived, these chipping bags should be pulled from shelves or marked down, in my opinion. It really is unacceptable.

I have two black PS1, one is a couple of years old and I carried the other everyday this fall until my blanket PS1 arrived.. there are no chips on the clasps so far :wondering

I have two black PS1, one is a couple of years old and I carried the other everyday this fall until my blanket PS1 arrived.. there are no chips on the clasps so far :wondering

Hi Ellie,

Do you find you have to baby your black PS1s to prevent the chipping? I'm considering a black PS1 (large leather or suede), and I think I prefer the original black hardware to the new gunmetal. Thanks, OP, for starting this thread!!

Hi Ellie,

Do you find you have to baby your black PS1s to prevent the chipping? I'm considering a black PS1 (large leather or suede), and I think I prefer the original black hardware to the new gunmetal. Thanks, OP, for starting this thread!!

Hi, not really babying but I try to not have any keys or similar in the same hand that could scratch when closing the bag. I also try to put the flap in place over the lock before closing.

I'll say though that there are some wear inside the rings where strap/bag attaches, it's not really visible unless I look closely and I think the bag will have some signs of being carried anyway.

I have about a month old black ps1 with the NEW gunmetal hardware. Unfortunately, even the gunmetal hardwares do chip and scratch. I first noticed a scratch on the front clasp hardware and this week, I noticed some chipping on the rings of my bag. I initially got the gunmetal bag, thinking that it wouldn't scratch...

Hi!

I'm a newbie here! I'm awaiting my ery first ps bag- a black ps1 medium with black hardware! I've read about issues about the hardware chipping, and I'm just wondering if there's anything I can do to prevent it or protect it?

TIA!!

Hi, I have two PS1:s with black hardware and I've not had any big problems with them. I'm just being a little more careful when opening and closing the bags, not scratching keys etc on the hw etc..

I have the large version of this bag with the black hardware and have also had no obvious problems. There is a little chipping on the hardware that secures the shoulder strap but it isn't noticeable at all. I just love the black hardware!

Mine is 1.5 years old now, and I do have chipped hardware. There isn't any way to protect it aside from being gentle with it, and I haven't been. :smile: Also, there's not really any way to prevent the wear that occurs when hardware rubs against hardware, like at the strap attachments.

Just enjoy the hell out of your bag, and don't worry about it too much! :smile:

Thanks for all the advice! One more thing, I posted this in the care thread but haven't gotten a response yet... I was wondering if I bought the right vectra? I bought vectra 16 in neutral... The other options were black, light brown and dark brown.

Tia!

Side note: I used my ps1 for the first one today! I brought my dust bag to store it in before I stowed it in my drawer at work lol!