Anyone with old style love (removable screws) advice please!

Tonimichelle

It’s all about the bag!
O.G.
Apr 9, 2013
Hi everyone, so after wearing my cuff for over two years (which I chose because I didn’t want to worry about screws!) I finally bit the bullet and purchased the full bracelet but in the older style as I’ve read too many reports on here regarding issues with the newer one and I’m such a worry wart!

My new to me Love should arrive tomorrow hopefully or Thursday if not, and as I don’t want to worry about losing screws I also ordered the purple loctite just in case.
I was going to get my DH to use a bit right from the start but when I mentioned it to a local jeweller she said don’t it can mess up the screws!

Does anyone have the old style bracelet and uses loctite? Have you ever lost a screw while wearing the bracelet? Would you just try without initially and keep a check on it? Thoughts please!
Thank you in advance :smile:

Reactions: jimmie staton
Hi everyone, so after wearing my cuff for over two years (which I chose because I didn’t want to worry about screws!) I finally bit the bullet and purchased the full bracelet but in the older style as I’ve read too many reports on here regarding issues with the newer one and I’m such a worry wart!

My new to me Love should arrive tomorrow hopefully or Thursday if not, and as I don’t want to worry about losing screws I also ordered the purple loctite just in case.
I was going to get my DH to use a bit right from the start but when I mentioned it to a local jeweller she said don’t it can mess up the screws!

Does anyone have the old style bracelet and uses loctite? Have you ever lost a screw while wearing the bracelet? Would you just try without initially and keep a check on it? Thoughts please!

Yes to both - My wife has two of the old style, removable screw Loves and one of the new style. She lost a screw on the old one once. We use purple Loctite on ALL of them now, and no more problems with loose screws or getting them out when necessary. I think the trick is to be very sparing with the amount. I use a tip of a toothpick to put a tiny drop on the threads.

Reactions: tenshix

Hi, I have the older model and had it for almost 30 years. I never take it off but to have polished once... and I am very rough with my pieces... it is a better locking mechanism and I think the gold is older and less non-gold metals used in Cartier's newer 18kt yellow gold so no bending. I was told by Cartier SA that mine look much better than the new because the gold looks richer in color. When putting on, screw to max and enjoy (now that I typed that, It seems so lascivious)… you can always check with your finger nail, put your fingernail in the grove of the removable screw, if it turns, even just a little, you need to tighten more.
By the way... great choice... can't wait for you to photo it.
"J!m"

gold is older and less non-gold metals used in Cartier's newer 18kt yellow gold so no bending.

Not sure I understand this, the new bracelets don't bend. 18kt or 750 means 75% of the total composition of the bracelet is gold and the other 25% are alloys, same for both bracelets.

Don't worry so much about screws... use loctite if your like but just know it may not need loctite if your bracelet screws on properly.

There was a point in time where one of my screws was worn out on my new style bracelet, and I opted for simple replacement that took 2 days and cost $200 for brand new screws. Looks the same and everything is great with my bracelet.

Not sure I understand this, the new bracelets don't bend. 18kt or 750 means 75% of the total composition of the bracelet is gold and the other 25% are alloys, same for both bracelets.

Don't worry so much about screws... use loctite if your like but just know it may not need loctite if your bracelet screws on properly.

There was a point in time where one of my screws was worn out on my new style bracelet, and I opted for simple replacement that took 2 days and cost $200 for brand new screws. Looks the same and everything is great with my bracelet.
Sorry to hear about what happened with the new style bracelet... that has been a common trend amongst my friends that own it... I have yet to have that problem with my 30 year old Love bracelet.
I agree, 18kt or 750 means 75% pure gold... There's something about old gold that is different from my experience
"J!m"

Reactions: Noyerx

May I ask what do you mean when you said the new screws became worn out?

Yes to both - My wife has two of the old style, removable screw Loves and one of the new style. She lost a screw on the old one once. We use purple Loctite on ALL of them now, and no more problems with loose screws or getting them out when necessary. I think the trick is to be very sparing with the amount. I use a tip of a toothpick to put a tiny drop on the threads.

Hi, I have the older model and had it for almost 30 years. I never take it off but to have polished once... and I am very rough with my pieces... it is a better locking mechanism and I think the gold is older and less non-gold metals used in Cartier's newer 18kt yellow gold so no bending. I was told by Cartier SA that mine look much better than the new because the gold looks richer in color. When putting on, screw to max and enjoy (now that I typed that, It seems so lascivious)… you can always check with your finger nail, put your fingernail in the grove of the removable screw, if it turns, even just a little, you need to tighten more.
By the way... great choice... can't wait for you to photo it.
"J!m"

Thank you all!
My bracelet is actually white gold Jimmie but I’ll be sure to post a photo!
I think I’ll try it without loctite to begin with and just keep a check on it regularly :smile:

May I ask what do you mean when you said the new screws became worn out?

The first year I had my bracelet, I took it off quite regularly. At a certain point, it was impossible to unscrew one with the screw driver provided - they used an industrial screw at the store to remove it. This happened because the gold wore away so it needed a thicker screw driver to remove it. They suggested replacing both screws at $100 each and I agreed.

Everything is exactly the same, they actually gave me the old screws which is pretty cool so they are at home with me and I don't take my bracelet on and off anymore.

Bottom line is people make such a big deal about screws but in reality it's not the end of the world - any issues with screws are an easy fix.

My classic Loves are both old style and I wear them daily now together just recently (I used to switch between the wg and yg) with the tiniest dab of Loctite. Before this, though, just a good turn of the screwdriver was enough! I love the old style!
I concur... the old style Love bracelet is the one... 30 years and it is unstoppable.
"J!m"

721285F1-7F78-4F6A-ADD4-276F91DF5ABF.jpeg B985860D-097B-4304-A40D-1FD6CB66BBE1.jpeg
My classic Loves are both old style and I wear them daily now together just recently (I used to switch between the wg and yg) with the tiniest dab of Loctite. Before this, though, just a good turn of the screwdriver was enough! I love the old style!

I concur... the old style Love bracelet is the one... 30 years and it is unstoppable.
"J!m"
Thanks guys, unfortunately I’m not sure I’m keeping the bracelet :sad: I’m so sad. I purchased it from Collector Square in Paris who I’ve used before and trust, but I didn’t realise the bracelet had been rhodium plated which worried me (although speaking to Cartier today has reassured me on that one). However I popped into a local jeweller who took a look at it and is questioning the Cartier script on the inside and has told me some people she knows that sell a lot of preowned Cartier aren’t familiar with it either. Collector Square have several with a similar script and I’m not at all sure she’s right but there’s a little seed of doubt and I’m not sure I want the worry.
One side is the cursive script plus serial number etc, the other is in capitals. Do either of you have anything like this? It’s silly because I trust Collector Square more than my local jeweller as they sell lots of them and have been great in the past. But Cartier won’t authenticate and I don’t know who else to ask for reassurance.

View attachment 4295309 View attachment 4295310

Thanks guys, unfortunately I’m not sure I’m keeping the bracelet :sad: I’m so sad. I purchased it from Collector Square in Paris who I’ve used before and trust, but I didn’t realise the bracelet had been rhodium plated which worried me (although speaking to Cartier today has reassured me on that one). However I popped into a local jeweller who took a look at it and is questioning the Cartier script on the inside and has told me some people she knows that sell a lot of preowned Cartier aren’t familiar with it either. Collector Square have several with a similar script and I’m not at all sure she’s right but there’s a little seed of doubt and I’m not sure I want the worry.
One side is the cursive script plus serial number etc, the other is in capitals. Do either of you have anything like this? It’s silly because I trust Collector Square more than my local jeweller as they sell lots of them and have been great in the past. But Cartier won’t authenticate and I don’t know who else to ask for reassurance.
I would actually walk it into Cartier and have them authenticate... you might wind of with a rare and classic piece or the worst, it's not real... with white gold and platinum, after a while, it looses it's shine and the item has to be rhodium plated. Also, at one time in the 80's or 70's I think, I heard that there were original Love bracelets that were high polished brass but they had the original signature of the original designer of the Love bracelet Aldo Cipullo that was sold in Cartier... this could very well be the case. Only by going into Cartier, you will know for sure... Hope it works out... and if not... sorry to hear.
"J!m"

Reactions: marzipanchen
View attachment 4295309 View attachment 4295310

I didn't realize that Cartier won't authenticate... I know the flagship store in NYC does... they can tell by first site what's what. Or you can ask to have professionally polished, they will take it in, and if it's not there's they wont polish it and let you know why... free and stealth authenticating. Hopefully Collector Square will take it back and give you a full refund. Or go to 23 Place Vendome and buy it new. I really feel bad for you.
"J!m"

I didn't realize that Cartier won't authenticate... I know the flagship store in NYC does... they can tell by first site what's what. Or you can ask to have professionally polished, they will take it in, and if it's not there's they wont polish it and let you know why... free and stealth authenticating. Hopefully Collector Square will take it back and give you a full refund. Or go to 23 Place Vendome and buy it new. I really feel bad for you.
"J!m"
It’s ok, I can’t really ask for it to be polished as it has been recently rhodium plated so is pretty shiny already! I have 14 days for return so that’s fine. The annoying thing is I trust Collector Square’s expertise more than the local place but that seed of doubt is now there so I’ll always worry. I’d consider purchasing new but I prefer the older screw system so may just stick with my cuff that I purchased from Cartier and is worry free!