Anyone Wear the Kuffiyeh Shemagh Scarf

May 7, 2007
I see alot of people wear this in New York..

From hawgblawg....
"A friend has seen a photo of a kufiya-wrapped Janet Jackson in a gossip mag, but I can't find it. And now that it's summer...kufiyaspottings may be somewhat more rare. We'll see whether the trend continues as fall sets in and people begin to need scarves once again. Perhaps the trend will be helped by the fact that the kufiya (as restyled by Nicolas Ghesquière for Balenciaga) was declared by W's Meggan Crum to be one of Fall 2007's Top Ten Accessories. Check it out: "an eclectic printed scarf trimmed with vintage-style coins," part of Ghesquière's "street-smart, global mix," modeled by Brazilian supermodel Flavia de Oliveira."
ActorColi_Alexa_15305201_400.jpg
colin.jpg

Kirstin-Duntz01.jpg
dunst.jpg

333097302_a714e1ab8e.jpg

I LOVE these scarves. They've been popping in and out of fashion periodically since the late '80s. In fact there's a Wikipedia entry about them.

I live on the windy Great Plains and I love to wear these scarves as head wraps. They're great at keeping the wind and cold at bay. Something about the soft, pliable middle-eastern cotton and loose weave is just perfect for any inclement condition. I've never found any scarf or hat that is as comfortable or accomodating.

Thing is I'm always worried about the political connotations. This wouldn't be such a big deal in a large urban setting but I live in a small town. The kuffiyeh was Yasar Arafat's symbol. And for the flimsiest reasons people are mistaken for terrorists with alarming regularity around here.

Ah well... I'm glad to see them coming back into fashion again.

I bought mine in a clothing boutique many years ago. And I do see them popping up in boutiques every few years--even around here.

How are most people wearing them? I've seen a variety of ways so far... I like the way Colin Farrell has his on, but I'm skeptical of that for me.

i've seen most people wearing it like kirsten.. i think its easier that way so that it doesn't keep moving around and falling off.. i wear it that way with a tracksuit top ontop usually, so that just part of it sticks out.. but i like the way colin farrell's wearing it too.. it just seems less comfortable

Sad to say I have worn one since the 80's!! I used to drive my then teenage DD to highschool wearing what she called "your PLO thing" and she would beg me to deep six it..

i had no idea they were in fashion in the 80's.. i've just always known them to be something which is part of arab culture.. men here wear them on their heads on a daily basis and have been doing so forever..

I don't wear them, but they're insanely popular among young Japanese men. The Gyaruo culture there has really taken up with this and you see them in tons of stores.