Anyone wanna help out a newb? :D

ocmommy

Birkinstalker
O.G.
Oct 12, 2007
Hi there :smile: Is this an ok place to ask a few quetions? Do you guys hate answering questions?

Eh, I'll just give it a shot!;)

Ok, so I am in the market for my very first (insert drumroll)...

Birkin!!! :yahoo: :dothewave:

Yay for me! :P

I have an Hermes boutique locally, but am afraid to just waltz right in and make a big ol' fool of myself by even asking any questions. I have heard about the fabled 'waiting list' and I have also heard that it's just a ruse. :confused1:

Soooo, my questions:

*Are the reputable sellers on e-bay that are worth the very expensive risk I'd be taking? Like, sellers that you have all used?

*If I found one on Craigslist, will Hermes authenticate it if I meet the seller there for the purchase? Or will they shun me and put me on some horrible "Don't ever sell to this person, for she buys her handbags of off Craigslist" list?

*Lastly, what is a very ballpark estimate on how much a very humble (yeah, right), plain leather, not made out of the slain hide of an exotic reptile, brown/beige/orange Birkin might run? No major bells and whistles, no diamonds...just leather and palladium. :smile:

I want to make sure that I love the style of bag without spending way over the odds right off the bat.

Oh, and if any of you are in the market to sell a bag from your personal collection, please let me know! And if this was a major no-no kind of post, please just erase it and let me know. I apologize in advance if this was not ok. :smile:

Thanks so much for all of your help! Oh, and big waves of the makeup variety to Japster and Dressage Queen. :happydance:

Hi and welcome! Here is a list of reputable resellers:

http://forum.purseblog.com/hermes-s...list-of-brick-morter-com-resellers-42499.html

The shopping section also has a list of reputable ebay sellers.

However, don't be afraid of the H store. Just go in and have fun and you will be able to buy your bag from them if you are willing to wait. My advice would be not be pushy and mention a Birkin the first time you go in. Be friendly, develop a relationship with an SA... the bags will follow.

Oh.... and get great advice reg authenticity by posting any potential items of interest in the 'authentication' thread (in the shopping section)

Hi ocmommy, I would not rush my purchase of such an expensive item.
Do not be intimidated to walk into an Hermes store.
You will never be sorry that you purchased your handbag directly from Hermes. I am sure that there are many reputable resellers but I don't think that is the indirect goal of this forum. I think most of the members would much rather purchase from Hermes proper.
A smile and basic manners are all that you ever require anywhere.
Be friendly and don't be afraid ask questions and admit your lack of knowledge. It is human nature for the "knowledgeable" to want to educate you. They don't learn about their products just to keep it a secret.
We aren't born knowing all about Hermes.
In other words relax.

welcome!

hermes will not authenticate. they will accept real bags for cleaning/repair though. so if they reject your bag, you will know it's fake.

i would think about what you want (takes a while to finalize which color, leather, hardware, size), in the meantime, develop a relationship with a sales associate you click with. don't mention birkin right away.

i just bought a 30cm togo birkin...$7,000 not including tax.

Hello and welcome! This is a great place to ask questions! I have also found an absolute treasure trove of valuable information in the Reference section (a great place to start!)

As for your questions...

*Are the reputable sellers on e-bay that are worth the very expensive risk I'd be taking? Like, sellers that you have all used? In this case, the risk isn't really in being scammed but in buying a Birkin without knowing if the leather, size, HW really appeal to you. This is why I totally agree with PPs that you should go into Hermes (a few times, in fact) and get a good feel for what tickles your fancy. It is such a personal choice. What's the point of saving some $$$ via the reseller route if the piece just doesn't work for you, KWIM? More than likely, if you want a brand new one, you will NOT save any $$$ at all but you will get instant gratification which may or may not be a good thing.

*If I found one on Craigslist, will Hermes authenticate it if I meet the seller there for the purchase? Or will they shun me and put me on some horrible "Don't ever sell to this person, for she buys her handbags of off Craigslist" list? They won't do this and I would never go the Craigslist route. Way too risky!

Good luck in your H endeavors!

Welcome!

How exciting it is to plan for your 1st birkin! I can still remember the feeling, but I'll spare you with "the story", LOL..

Don't be shy to visit your local H. You never know what can come out of that. It's better to get your birkin from the boutique if you can.

I am not familiar with US prices, but last year's prices in France are:
35 cm clemence birkin with pall hw = 4800 Euro
30 cm clemence birkin with pall hw = 4500 Euro
I heard prices have gone up slightly though.