Anyone use StockX yet?

Saifulove

Jul 2, 2017
Hi everyone. I wanted to see if anyone has been using StockX since they launched the buying/selling of handbags. I don't think most handbag addicts know about it since it just branched out into this area. I found out about it because my husband has a sneaker addiction and used them.

Since they've launched their handbag section, I have bought two LV bags. I bought a Moyen Montsouris first. The price was good. StockX emailed me when they received the bag and said it was authentic but has some marks that make it in less than excellent condition. They sent pictures and asked if I still wanted the bag or a full refund. I thought that was awesome!

Most recently, I found a GREAT deal on a Deauville. I am waiting for the seller to ship for authentication to StockX. We'll see what happens. [emoji1]

Good to know. I have been looking at purses through this site and wondering how reliable it was. Thank you for sharing your experience!
I should update my post. I bought two items from them and almost a third. I will not be using them again and cannot recommend them. Here's what happened (split into 3 posts):

1st purchase: Seller didn't send within 4 days of my accepted bid. I emailed StockX and asked what was going on since the seller is supposed to send the item within 2 business days. StockX replied promptly but with a cut and paste job from their FAQs. I wasn't happy since it had been almost a week and there was no status update on my account. I emailed them back explaining I had already looked at their FAQs, and I wanted an answer to my specific situation. The response was apologetic but another canned answer. I emailed back. By the time they got back to me, the seller had shipped.

To their credit they did email me upon receipt of the item. They said they had it, it was authentic, but showed signs of wear. They gave me a few pics and asked if I still wanted it or a full refund. I accepted since it was a good price. I received the item. It is a piece from 1998 if I remember right.

Reactions: ATLien
2nd purchase: Great price for a bag. I bought it. Everything went fine. I opened it once received to find it was vintage. It was in excellent condition for a VINTAGE piece, but had it not been for its age, def no go. The vachetta handles were dirty and black. I cleaned them no problem. The hardware definitely has rust spots that are noticeable.

The part that made me somewhat uncomfortable was that I found the name of the prior owner in the luggage tag. I would think StockX during their verification would check this. I assume they didn't. Kinda weird.

Reactions: ATLien
Almost 3rd purchase and why I do not recommend:

A retiro was posted with the ask as $1650. The highest bid was $900. I bid $1400. Less than 10 mins later, someone bid $1450. I bid up again. Again, within 10 mins, someone outbidded me. You can tell it's the same person bc their previous bid will be replaced with the new bid. This is quite unusual that someone bids on an item this quickly in my experience. So long story short, the person outbid me at $1550, and I had $1500. I let it go and didn't think to take down my bid since it was less than the ask and someone had bid more than me.

I went to bed and woke up the next day to an email that my bid had been accepted. WHAT??! I looked and the ask for $1650 was still there, which means that is NOT the bag I got. Someone else posted this bag at $1500 and oddly enough the person who had outbid me had removed their bid. Hmmm! Sounds fishy! Sounds like a seller posed as a buyer, got the bid up, then removed their bid and posted their bag to sell for the now highest bid (mine!).

I contacted StockX and asked them if the scenario I laid out was possible in their system. Got another canned response about sellers can't bid on their own items. I replied and said that wasn't my question. I explained that I believe someone hiked the bid posing as a buyer, then removed their bid, and posted that bag for sale. I asked again if this is possible in their system and said I wanted to dispute my transaction. StockX replied with the bid was accepted and the trade will be honored. Nothing more.

I wrote back again and kind of lost it on them. They wrote back and simply said, We looked at your transaction, and nothing out of the ordinary happened.

I wrote back again. This time I was livid. This is terrible customer service, and they NEVER responded about how someone could potentially game the system. I threatened that I wouldn't be using them and would post my experience on TPF. They came back and reiterated that the transaction looked fine on their end, didn't respond to my inquiry about controls to prevent what I suspected happened to me, and asked what they could do to make me happy.

At this point, I felt like it was a lost cause. I was really mad. I didn't reply. They refused to cancel the transaction or give me assurance that someone isn't able to do this.

Luckily, when my bag was received, they emailed me with the whole "It's authentic but with signs of wear. Do you want it still." I said no and got a full refund.

So conclusion is: I got two vintage items I wouldn't consider in excellent condition if it hadn't been for their age. Everything was authentic. They did email 2 of 3 times to ask if I still wanted the items in the condition in which they were received. However, I am unsure about how kosher their bidding system is. From my experience, sellers can game the system, and that isn't cool, and StockX gives no effs.

So I won't be using them again. Think I'll stick with Fashionphile who details everything with the bag on the front end and allows returns.

Thanks for sharing your experience, Saifulove! I'm glad it worked out for you in the end. I've used StockX several times to sell and buy sneakers but haven't ventured into the handbag section just yet, but I still thought it may be useful to share my experience though.

I think it's a great platform if you're a seller since StockX serves as the middleman for all transactions. So you don't ever deal directly with the buyer, which is great since the buyers can't pull any funny business (like trying to return items, claiming it's unauthentic/damaged, etc. like some do on eBay or other selling platforms). Once an item gets sold, you're provided a shipping label to send the item to their headquarters, and they keep you updated with emails when they have received your item, authenticated it, and sent out your payment. I definitely think it's a low risk and hassle free way to sell.

As a buyer, you should be pretty cautious. StockX requires sneakers to be of brand new condition, which is pretty set in stone for how the condition is. But they allow their bags to be in pre-owned excellent condition, so you don't necessarily know what the signs of wear are when you are purchasing the bag.

Also, you need to be extra careful when you bid. Put up a bid only if you are willing to pay that price and remove a bid immediately if you do not wish to go through with it. Sometimes sellers will not have an asking price listed, but upon seeing your bid, they can choose to accept it. And once a bid is accepted, there's no going back.

Reactions: Jochae and ATLien