Workplace Anyone thinking of applying as an SA/Manager?

Sep 14, 2016
I graduated with a degree that I didnt like and worked in 3 industries I also didnt like. Whenever I tell this to my friends and family, they always tell me.. “Since you are so passionate about Vuitton, why dont you try applying as an SA? I bet you’ll get promoted/receive comissions easily” I’ve heard that advice for more than 5x already.

What are your opinions on this?

I have a bachelor degree in fashion and worked in high end retail for eleven years. If you enjoy working with people (some of them difficult, arrogant, etc.) and can handle the hours (nights, weekends, holidays) then I say go for it. Ultimately I decided to leave the profession and went on to get a second bachelors degree and my masters in another field. It’s not for everyone but I also know people who have been in the business for 20 plus years so it’s worth giving it a shot.

Reactions: shazzy quijano
I have a bachelor degree in fashion and worked in high end retail for eleven years. If you enjoy working with people (some of them difficult, arrogant, etc.) and can handle the hours (nights, weekends, holidays) then I say go for it. Ultimately I decided to leave the profession and went on to get a second bachelors degree and my masters in another field. It’s not for everyone but I also know people who have been in the business for 20 plus years so it’s worth giving it a shot.

Curious of what made you decide to switch career after 11 years

Curious of what made you decide to switch career after 11 years

After 11 years I really needed a change. Some of the customers who frequent high end stores can be pretty demanding and rude. Not all of them but some of them. I got tired of people talking down to me and demanding things of me. People who had obviously worn an item and then brought it back and wanted a full refund, blaming me for a damaged item, customers getting huffy when I was busy and couldn’t get to them at that exact moment, stuff like that. Also working with some “sharks” who would circle around and grab the customer so that they could get the commission. Having coworkers return an item under my sales number and then ring up a sale under theirs, etc. When you work on commission, the claws can come out. Having to work weekends and holidays and not being able to take days off during certain times of the year got to be tiring after a while. I think I just got worn out. That being said, I have friends who have had successful careers in retail so it’s not that I am against it, it just wasn’t for me anymore. I have a lot of respect for people who work in retail and believe me I understand what they go through. When I tell some SAs that I was in retail, we share that “so you know what it’s like” moment. I wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide to do and please keep in mind that while it wasn’t for me it doesn’t mean that it’s not for you.

After 11 years I really needed a change. Some of the customers who frequent high end stores can be pretty demanding and rude. Not all of them but some of them. I got tired of people talking down to me and demanding things of me. People who had obviously worn an item and then brought it back and wanted a full refund, blaming me for a damaged item, customers getting huffy when I was busy and couldn’t get to them at that exact moment, stuff like that. Also working with some “sharks” who would circle around and grab the customer so that they could get the commission. Having coworkers return an item under my sales number and then ring up a sale under theirs, etc. When you work on commission, the claws can come out. Having to work weekends and holidays and not being able to take days off during certain times of the year got to be tiring after a while. I think I just got worn out. That being said, I have friends who have had successful careers in retail so it’s not that I am against it, it just wasn’t for me anymore. I have a lot of respect for people who work in retail and believe me I understand what they go through. When I tell some SAs that I was in retail, we share that “so you know what it’s like” moment. I wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide to do and please keep in mind that while it wasn’t for me it doesn’t mean that it’s not for you.

OMG I didnt know a lot of this. Esp others returning the item under your sales number! Ugh.