Anyone think of doing a big closet cleansing (only a few high quality items)?

I have no affiliation with ThredUp, an online consignment site, but I wanted to recommend them - I've bought and sold to them. They have promotions (which seem to go on all the time) to send you a bag free, and you put in as much clothing as will fit (with certain guidelines as to what they accept) and ship to them for free. They buy some items outright and others (like purses) they sell on consignment. The returns are not super-high, but the process is so simple and their customer service is so helpful that I prefer to use them for a lot of stuff.

I think their business model is working well as there is talk of them expanding to include menswear. They mostly do purses and women's clothes and kid's clothes.

I have no affiliation with ThredUp, an online consignment site, but I wanted to recommend them - I've bought and sold to them. They have promotions (which seem to go on all the time) to send you a bag free, and you put in as much clothing as will fit (with certain guidelines as to what they accept) and ship to them for free. They buy some items outright and others (like purses) they sell on consignment. The returns are not super-high, but the process is so simple and their customer service is so helpful that I prefer to use them for a lot of stuff.

I think their business model is working well as there is talk of them expanding to include menswear. They mostly do purses and women's clothes and kid's clothes.

+1

As I've been purging my closet, I've been using Poshmark, Threadflip, and Tradesy. I've stopped really using Poshmark and Tradesy because of how time consuming it can be. Threadflip used to be great when I could use their Full Service offering but now that they aren't accepting or sending out more Full Service kits because they're overwhelmed (I've been waiting more than 12 weeks for my current bag to be processed and listed), I've stopped using them.

Both ThredUp and Material Wrld have been great for cleaning out the closet and getting cash or gift cards back, which is a nice bonus (both sites have calculators where you can get an idea of what they will pay you for an item). I tend to send my contemporary or premier designer brands to Material Wrld and brands like J.Crew and Banana Republic to ThredUp. They have both been great for getting items out of my closet quickly! Plus, they send our shipping kits that make it really easy.

We live in a small apartment with little closet space so I used to have two free-standing closet racks. Having places like these to send in and/or sell your clothes has been a great motivation to eliminate closet clutter. Because of them, I'm now down to only one free-standing closet system of clothes, and I'm still going! Just in the past two weeks, I've shipped a bag to ThredUp and a bag to Material Wrld, along with selling a couple things on Poshmark.

I'm not affiliated with any of the sites above, but I've been using them as it's nice to get a little bit back for new or gently used clothing that was on the pricier side. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the sites or my experiences on any of them.

Reactions: Sunnyday23
I've been selling a lot of clothes over the past few years, but still have a lot left. I think I will donate them. A lot of the Syrian refugees fled to our country, I think they could really use it now the Winter is coming up. I have only basics in my wardrobe now, so there are just a few things I want and then I am pretty much wardrobe content after a few years of reorganising my wardrobe.

Hello everyone! I just re-read this whole thread....a few pages per day-lol! So, I'm bumping this thread again...reason being is that a lot of us are now working at home due to the pandemic. It's the perfect time to re-visit this thread! I'm just wondering if you all have kept up with de-cluttering/organizing/minimizing your closets during this time spent at home?? I've always found this thread to be inspirational! After re-reading it, I'm tempted to do another clear out. I do have one huge bag to bring to consignment once they re-open but I know I can do better. Although I now have my wooden hangers which means less space for too much stuff, I've somehow slowing accumulated more things. I have not had to buy new hangers but have almost run out of hangers and I refuse to buy more! So, I hope you're all doing well! Please feel free to post away with your progress!! :tup:

Reactions: jennlt
I'm sure I could have much more to say, if given the time, but I WANT to adhere to the "one in, one out" policy, even if it means taking one t shirt out of the closet and placing in a drawer for a "work in the yard" shirt,(as that doesn't count as real clothing, in my mind!) That being said, I am falling behind. I chart my ins and outs(bags, scarves dresses, tops, pants, etc) but I haven't kept up on it lately.
I have wooden hangers, so if I run out I'm in trouble. I feel guilty as I have been ordering on line, and really don't need anything. Yes, I feel guilty.
When I visit my daughter, we go through her closet, and I feel a good friend/relative may be the best in helping us to redefine, as in "you have so many of that type of top--can't you look at other styles?" i.e. do not buy any more of that style!
I've rambled, but it may help the thread move on. I too am interested in what others have been doing...
My wish would be to have fewer, but higher quality clothes. Since I love to shop(read this buy clothes) I know it can't happen to me. Only with handbags can it happen!

Reactions: jennlt and lucywife
I consigned/donated tons of clothes/shoes/some bags over the last few years, really shocking [and actually sad] to see how much stuff I still own, still waiting for "the perfect time."
I follow Ali Pew, Goop's fashion director on instagram and in one of the videos she advises to throw away, sell, donate anything you didn't wear for 30 days, may seem a bit steep, but works for me. What I learnt the hard way is that it seems/justifiable to spend smaller $$ here and there and then when I want something pricier, I won't buy it because it's "too expensive." Then I count how much money I wasted on "here and there" already and that "very expensive" doesn't come near the amounts I paid for something I don't even remember I have! How foolish is that?
So, please, post your thoughts and ideas, this is a great thread to follow and learn from all of you.

Reactions: jennlt and barbee