Anyone tempted to boycott Chanel due to the price rises? What would be your new fix?

thx:smile:. i mean, i would if i was in chanel marketing (or finance or wherever for that matter). i would bring it up at a meeting "look how our current customers feel about the impending price increase". it's unadulterated market research...

Unless Chanel's crack marketing research team is living under a rock, this electronic medium (aka the internet) would provide a wealth of consumer research, feedback and commentary.:idea:

No boycott but definitely fewer bags ... but then again, I am not the demographic they are looking for ... would I go to another brand? No - I will always covet the brand but I certainly don't have to like the people behind it. And frankly the bags are timeless so I certainly have plenty to choose from now to wear ... and add maybe one or two a year until such time as financial circumstances allow me more.

I think it's easy to say that you hate the price increase and threaten to boycott, but in all honesty, how many people would really stick to that? I don't think many would unless merchandise got so expensive that it was literally unobtainable. Fewer purchases, I understand, but I would feel like I was kind of punishing myself as well if I didn't buy what I absolutely loved.

I got my jumbo after the last increase (when it went up to $2250) and I can honestly say this is one bag I would buy all over again, even if I had to pay even more. I love it that much. It may not be reasonable and yes, it's getting extreme but at the same time, it is something that I carry almost daily and it just makes me happy. As strange as this may sound, I won't put a price on that right now.

The other brands are having price increases as well. We just don't feel them as much. For example, LV raises by $90. Which, I don't think is so bad. As for Chanel, I think its getting a little retarded.

A bit OT, but please try to be more sensitive in your choice of words when you post. There are members here who have family members who are retarded.

I am not planning on boycotting Chanel. I love Chanel bags too much.

A few months ago (Feb) when they had the first price increase we were all bitter and thought prices were too high. But so many people have bought bags since then. I think we just get used to the prices once we see them often enough.

I will still buy Chanel Handbags because I love carrying them. Thanks goodness for TPF because it helps all of us shop smarter.

ITA! We'll continue to groan and moan but somehow, somewhere a cute lil number in a black box will still follow us home. It just means being more selective from now on for me.

I won't boycott Chanel, but I will definitely be more selective and picky with my purchases. After I became smitten with Chanel earlier this year, I completedly ignored the other designer brands that I love (e.g. Louis Vuitton, Prada). Chanel will always be my main love, but I will be looking more at (and probably buying) these other bags.

-Stephanie

I'm not going to boycott Chanel and like some other members have said, I will definitely be more selective and choose classic designs over trendy designs. Currently because of Chanels price increase, I have decided to browse and buy vintage Chanels and second hand Chanel bags from consignment stores and even Ebay (altho im a bit afraid..so many fakes out there!) I think it's a good way for me to continue my love for Chanel and at the same time, save me some money. Also, my new fix is Ferragamo bags - really classy and simple designs. =)

I bought my first Chanel bags this past August amidst all the hoopla of this upcoming price increase. Although I panicked and went nuts initially, I returned or exchanged a few things to get what I have now. I'm pretty satisfied with my small and relatively simple collection.

I am not a fan of groupthink mentality, as layla so strikingly put it, and yet I do feel a bit sucked in by the allure of owning the brand/partaking of the luxury. I don't think that I'll be a big spender on bags whose quality has noticeably declined (as mentioned by several old-time PFers) and whose stylings seem questionable (Cruise this year = canvas and PVC and vinyl, for THOUSANDS???), but I do think that I'll continue to work on my collection, getting classic styles and leathers, and leaving they hype bags behind. Then again, I've never gone through a price increase so who knows? The reality of a bag that approaches 3K and was once priced at 2K less than a year ago may be the slap back to reality that I need!

And layla...you do mean 20 Jan 09, right? :tup:

I'm not going to boycott Chanel and like some other members have said, I will definitely be more selective and choose classic designs over trendy designs. Currently because of Chanels price increase, I have decided to browse and buy vintage Chanels and second hand Chanel bags from consignment stores and even Ebay (altho im a bit afraid..so many fakes out there!) I think it's a good way for me to continue my love for Chanel and at the same time, save me some money. Also, my new fix is Ferragamo bags - really classy and simple designs. =)

Kuriso I am positively obsessed with Ferragamo! I can't wait to see what comes out for S/S '08 :smile:

the price rises as well as the quality have me depressed. in the past year i have returned two pairs of Chanel shoes that have actually fallen apart within one month of my wearing them.
I was in Beverly Hills this past week, saw the TDF pink cruise line classic, and its made of cloth, and it is $3,200 and change. I am in love with the bag, but, c'mon...!

LV always has good quality and so does Balenciaga. In fact, so does Gucci, Fendi, and Prada.

I love Chanel but feel like it is turning on me
lol

No boycott here by me...but a serious slow down. My collection to the extent I want a collection is almost done. I would like a Spring / Summer 08 reissue or two in the great colors but that is about it.

I pass on the trendy "it" bags and while some of them no matter who the designer is, are interesting - I am staying to the classics and bags I know in my heart will be with me for years. So Chanel is my love, I will not be looking for anywhere else to go to buy bags or fill a void so-to-speak.

In fact I am ready to stop spending money period...so in a number of ways Chanel is doing me a favor and I am not looking for another addiction.

I just read an article in the Nov 2007 Vogue / View- Why Less Is More....and I agree fashion has become a rat race....My rat needs a rest.:P