anyone shopped at ikea lately?

sdkitty

O.G.
Jan 16, 2006
I found some drinking glasses I want from Ikea. they have an online purchase/pick up at store option but it's unavailable right now. usually that place is very difficult for returns, difficult to shop in on weekends but not too bad for shopping weekday mornings.
Anyone know what it's like during covid?

I recently went on a Sunday morning in Colorado. Arrived 30 minutes after store opening time. Had to wain’t in a very long line.....think Disney World kinda line although spread out.....waited about 45 minutes to get into the store. Once inside went smoothly. I was near a college town the week of move in and there were shortages in lots of the goods I needed for my daughter but we were able to settle and get everything on our list. Checkout looked long but went quickly. Glad I don’t have to go again anytime soon though!

I recently went on a Sunday morning in Colorado. Arrived 30 minutes after store opening time. Had to wain’t in a very long line.....think Disney World kinda line although spread out.....waited about 45 minutes to get into the store. Once inside went smoothly. I was near a college town the week of move in and there were shortages in lots of the goods I needed for my daughter but we were able to settle and get everything on our list. Checkout looked long but went quickly. Glad I don’t have to go again anytime soon though!
eww
I went online and tried to do order with pick up at store.....not available right now....possibly a weekeday morning? I don't want to wait in line but the glasses I want are 79 cents each there and comparable ones from amazon or target are about four dollars each....worth it? yes if I don't have to wait in line I guess
thanks for the reply

We went a couple of times a few weeks ago. DS ordered furniture to be delivered online (it was, thankfully) but needed a bunch of bits and pieces. Yes, there was a line but it was best to go just after opening on weekdays (apparently Wed and Thu are best) and wait time for about 5-10 mins. But the shelves were pretty empty, they did not have their usual variety of goods. They were out of most mattresses, including the one he wanted. They also did not take online store pick-up orders because apparently the stores are so busy - tried it for the mattress, but no go, they had to drive to another store after checking inventory online.

This was in South FL.

We went a couple of times a few weeks ago. DS ordered furniture to be delivered online (it was, thankfully) but needed a bunch of bits and pieces. Yes, there was a line but it was best to go just after opening on weekdays (apparently Wed and Thu are best) and wait time for about 5-10 mins. But the shelves were pretty empty, they did not have their usual variety of goods. They were out of most mattresses, including the one he wanted. They also did not take online store pick-up orders because apparently the stores are so busy - tried it for the mattress, but no go, they had to drive to another store after checking inventory online.

This was in South FL.
thanks
may not be worth a trip just for drinking glasses.....I don't enjoy shopping while wearing a mask so have been doing a lot of ordering online and either having delivered or pickup at store. Home Depot is great for the store pick-up. I've been there twice in the past month or so. First time they came to my car in three minutes, second time five minutes :smile: Lowes on the other hand is terrible. The phone call for them to come to the parking lot didn't work for me and when you go into the store to pick up your items there's a line; then the person can't find the item on their messy shelves. I lke Lowes but they need a system for this.

This was in South FL.
I may go tomorrow morning. Being Friday, probably not as good as Wed or Thursday. I was thinking maybe get there a half hour after opening so the people who are lined up before opening are already in? I guess it's a crap shoot. But I tried ordering glasses from WM and my order was cancelled - out of stock. The ones I want from Ikea are 79 cents each and Amazon is selling the exact ones - branded Ikea at a price something like $36 for six.

I may go tomorrow morning. Being Friday, probably not as good as Wed or Thursday. I was thinking maybe get there a half hour after opening so the people who are lined up before opening are already in? I guess it's a crap shoot. But I tried ordering glasses from WM and my order was cancelled - out of stock. The ones I want from Ikea are 79 cents each and Amazon is selling the exact ones - branded Ikea at a price something like $36 for six.
They seem to be letting in people in batches - so people lining up before the store opens may not all get in right away, depending on how many there are. They are counting people going in, but also peeking to see how many are loitering around the entrance inside (going to the restroom, etc) and going up the escalator to make sure there is not a crowd.

But inside, there seems to be no control, people are criss-crossing each others' paths, not looking, bumping into each other, etc, which is not good, but at least everyone is wearing masks.

But do try to check if they have what you want before you go off to the store. At the beginning of August, when we shopped, there were a lot of things out of stock (even things like oven mitts and aprons - though DS did find one in the Last Chance department).

They seem to be letting in people in batches - so people lining up before the store opens may not all get in right away, depending on how many there are. They are counting people going in, but also peeking to see how many are loitering around the entrance inside (going to the restroom, etc) and going up the escalator to make sure there is not a crowd.

But inside, there seems to be no control, people are criss-crossing each others' paths, not looking, bumping into each other, etc, which is not good, but at least everyone is wearing masks.

But do try to check if they have what you want before you go off to the store. At the beginning of August, when we shopped, there were a lot of things out of stock (even things like oven mitts and aprons - though DS did find one in the Last Chance department).
thank you for the advice
I checked online and they do seem to have what I want
I'm not really planning to look for anything else (except maybe some dish towels if they're in a convenient location)....big challenge to get in and get out :smile:

I went today (Friday). got there around 11am. there was a line that went across the street but I got into the store within ten minutes. got what I wanted. they said they're low on some inventory but I have a feeling it may be a lot of desks and things for students.

I went today (Friday). got there around 11am. there was a line that went across the street but I got into the store within ten minutes. got what I wanted. they said they're low on some inventory but I have a feeling it may be a lot of desks and things for students.
That is great!

Our store was low on everything (as I said, almost no mattresses, potholders, etc - and those were just the things we were specifically looking for). But then, there are supply issues at a lot of stores.

That is great!

Our store was low on everything (as I said, almost no mattresses, potholders, etc - and those were just the things we were specifically looking for). But then, there are supply issues at a lot of stores.
I really wanted to get in an out as quickly as possible so the only things I looked at were dish towels, hand towels and glasses. even in the best of times getting out of there can be a challenge.
But they had tons of the glasses I wanted and from what I saw in the reviews, they always have them.

I was telling one of the employees (actually got help this time) that I had seen the exact glasses (Ikea brand) I was buying on Amazon for six times the price. she said people were buying desks to sell. I guess it's a free economy but that seems greedy to me. On the other hand, if they are going to assemble them and sell to someone who doesn't want to deal with that, then maybe OK.

I really wanted to get in an out as quickly as possible so the only things I looked at were dish towels, hand towels and glasses. even in the best of times getting out of there can be a challenge.
But they had tons of the glasses I wanted and from what I saw in the reviews, they always have them.

I was telling one of the employees (actually got help this time) that I had seen the exact glasses (Ikea brand) I was buying on Amazon for six times the price. she said people were buying desks to sell. I guess it's a free economy but that seems greedy to me. On the other hand, if they are going to assemble them and sell to someone who doesn't want to deal with that, then maybe OK.

Well, buyers are supposed to do their research. But if you add the the cost of the glasses, the drive to the store, the fees Amazon charges, packing supplies, etc. then they might make less than you think.
Some buyers may not have Ikea store near them though and may not have the option to order - I don't know how Ikea does it now, but while DS was able to order furniture to be shipped from Orlando to the coast, the SoFL store would not even do an order online/pick-up in store as the store was "too busy".

I would think the shipping for assembled furniture would be much higher (there is a reason Ikea sells them unassembled) but I guess if someone had 2 left hands (with all thumbs), it might be worth it?

Well, buyers are supposed to do their research. But if you add the the cost of the glasses, the drive to the store, the fees Amazon charges, packing supplies, etc. then they might make less than you think.
Some buyers may not have Ikea store near them though and may not have the option to order - I don't know how Ikea does it now, but while DS was able to order furniture to be shipped from Orlando to the coast, the SoFL store would not even do an order online/pick-up in store as the store was "too busy".

I would think the shipping for assembled furniture would be much higher (there is a reason Ikea sells them unassembled) but I guess if someone had 2 left hands (with all thumbs), it might be worth it?
yes it's true a lot of people don't have an ikea store near them but this markup on the glasses seemed more like something you'd see on ebay to me. as far as furniture, even if you have a store near you not everyone has the skills or patience to assemble it. I think they offer a service? or you can find people to do that. I got a Hemnes vanity table and stool preowned on CL. It was in perfect condition, already assembled and cheaper than new :smile:

the san diego store also could not do order online and pickup at this time

yes it's true a lot of people don't have an ikea store near them but this markup on the glasses seemed more like something you'd see on ebay to me. as far as furniture, even if you have a store near you not everyone has the skills or patience to assemble it. I think they offer a service? or you can find people to do that. I got a Hemnes vanity table and stool preowned on CL. It was in perfect condition, already assembled and cheaper than new :smile:

the san diego store also could not do order online and pickup at this time

I think they work with TaskRabbit for assembly.
Some people dismiss Ikea because it is so cheap, but they do have some gems and getting stuff assembled for less than it would cost to buy unassembled is a great deal!