Anyone shipped int'l using USPS Priority Mail?

BabyK

O.G.
May 16, 2006
I sent 2 packages out via USPS priority mail int'l, one to Singapore and one to Indonesia, and now both packages are "missing". I shipped it via USPS Priority Mail int'l which includes tracking. When I track it online, one package only says it was accepted. The other package says it's been in int'l dispatch in NJ (I'm in NY). I called USPS, and they have no other info aside from what I see online. Completely useless! They have to send a research request to those countries and then I have to wait to get a letter from them regarding the status. Did this happen to anyone else? Did any of you send a package USPS? It's been over 10 days, and my 2 buyers are still waiting for their package.

In the last 10 years I've sent over a thousand packages using USPS air, priority and express mail overseas. Their tracking is pretty much nonexistant. You will get no information usually from point of acceptance to delivery and trying to get it is a huge waste of time.

That being said, their delivery rate is fantastic. Our business ships jewelry and about 20% of our packages overseas. We have a very small handful of packages go missing every year and some of those I suspect the buyers simply file a claim despite having received the items which show as delivered.

Remember that with international packages there are often customs delays that you will never be able to track. It is not at all unusual, especially with Asia, Argentina, Italy and Germany (the places where customs seems to cause the most problems) for there to be a 1-2 week delay at customs. This is unfortunately hard to explain to buyers and out of your control, but reassure them as best as you can, and I bet you anything that in a few days or a week or so, you'll hear back that your packages have arrived safely.

Good luck!

Thanks polarbear! I do feel better knowing that. I shipped internationally before but that was a couple yrs ago. I just started selling again and just so happens my 2 most expensive bags went overseas and I'm just afraid it's lost. I let my buyers know what you said and to be patient. I'll wait another week and see what happens. At what pt should I file a lost package though?

USPS won't do a thing for a full 30 days after shipping as far as insurance refunds, so there unfortunately isn't much to do except hold on and try to keep your buyer (and yourself) calm. It's hard, especially when it's a high priced item, but it's unlikely you'll have to go any further with it. Good luck - fingers crossed it arrives quickly!!

Thanks again! I contacted the buyer and she actually said she received 2 other packages this month via express (mine was sent priority) w/ no problems, so that kind of got me worried. I hope it's just custom issues. Do higher price items normally have custom issues?

I ship packages internationally quite frequently and at one time only used Priority mail int’l. I found that Priority mail delivery was always delayed for one reason or another. I finally switched to Express Mail Int’l because I shipped a package to Vancouver, BC Canada and it took over a month. I live near Seattle, WA so I’m not that far away and the post office estimated a delivery time of 6-10 days. Now I only ship using Express Mail International. I have found this service to be extremely dependable. It’s more expensive but customers get their packages quicker and always on time. :yahoo:

I only ship Express internationally because it is trackable. Priority confirmation number is not tracking and stops at our borders.

You can use the customs label number to try and find it.

I'll definitely use express mail int'l next time, thanks Coalcreek! I don't know why they bother saying that it takes 6-10 days. It's nowhere near that! So far the buyers are being patient and nice about it. But I understand from their point of view. If it were me, I wouldn't want wait that long for my packages. Man, a whole month to ship to Canada?? I hope it won't take 2 months to ship to Asia! I don't think anyone is that patient.

Deekai, I can track with Priority int'l. It's just that they never update it, so you have no idea where the package is.

I sent 2 packages out via USPS priority mail int'l, one to Singapore and one to Indonesia, and now both packages are "missing". I shipped it via USPS Priority Mail int'l which includes tracking. When I track it online, one package only says it was accepted. The other package says it's been in int'l dispatch in NJ (I'm in NY). I called USPS, and they have no other info aside from what I see online. Completely useless! They have to send a research request to those countries and then I have to wait to get a letter from them regarding the status. Did this happen to anyone else? Did any of you send a package USPS? It's been over 10 days, and my 2 buyers are still waiting for their package.
I have used USPS in all my int'l shipments and never had a problem. it's true that it's hard to track item but it usually take 6-10 business days. It's the country's customs that problems occur. the other thing that I found out is that Express is cheaper than Priority but it takes the same time for delivery.

Express is more expensive but worth the piece of mind.
I also only use USPS Express Mail (EMS) when shipping overseas :biggrin:

I am quite sure that the packages will get there.
Keep us updated :biggrin:

After learning the expensive , hard way, I will only ship international packages Express Mail because of the tracking. According to Pay Pal, if you can't prove delivery (tracking) PP will side with the buyer. I have had one too many problems with French customs. But, don't dismay. International delivery can take more time than what the delivery company states and you really need to wait longer. Best of luck.

i give up now and get US sellers to send to my us ship forwarder. it usually takes ages to get to Australia, the hold up is usually with customs. BUT if it says it has been accepted it means that someone did sign off with the post office, and that info eventually makes it way to the USPS system