Anyone selling anything on Ebay or Bonanzle or are sales really slow

stephanie1

Aug 13, 2006
It seems like sales are slow on ebay and at consignment stores, even of hot bags like birkins in the most popular colors and sizes. While these bags are said to be as hot as ever, at some of the favorite sites/ stores, some of the same bags have been there for weeks if not months. Why is this? Is everyone waiting for Christmas and year end bonuses to splurge (I know I am trying to stave off any big purchases until after the first of the year).:idea:

I'd say its a combination of higher gas prices, inflation, home prices sliding, and other unknown factors. Maybe some people are spending their money on new cars or something. Perhaps they are waiting for christmas or something.

Mark-ups from resellers are still very high. And women have realised that they can get their bags rather easily from the Hermes stores direct. So why pay the huge mark-up?

I don't usually sell designer purses, but do sell clothes (some designer), vintage purses, kids stuff etc - in fact whatever I can get my hands on! But these past couple of weeks, sales have been quite slow, and things that sold for $30 plus last year, are going for $20 or less.

Is anybody else having the same problem, or am I selling the wrong things?

Nope its not your imagination! Thinks are typically slow after Christmas. People have overspent and THEY are selling stuff too and not buying. Hang in there, it will get better!

Yes I agree, apart from the surprise of my much lusted after shoes (see other thread), things have been more slack than I expected. Initially January was great and I sold lots of items, albeit for fairly small amounts, but now enquiries, offers and general traffic seem to be down by a lot. I have found that non-seasonal/unrelated to fashion items are the only thing shifting at the moment, hence sales of transcribing machines, electric rollers, pens, battery chargers etc but limited success with bags, clothes etc. Ho hum, all part of Ebay's rich tapestry I guess . . .!

Ebay sales have been badly affected by several things, firstly the amount of fakes on there, secondly winter sales are on as already said & thirdly now with all the checking sellers & taking down auctions of authentic sellers i think buyers are losing faith in ebay.

I find the best time to sell after Christmas is the week directly after the holiday...people like to spend their bonus and often receive cash as gifts. I had a great week right after Christmas but things are definitely slower now. I do find that if you have authentic merchandise and show pictures of authenticity cards, receipts, etc. that things still move, especiall pre-owned items at reasonable prices. But I still wonder, is Ebay on its way to becoming obsolete? The fees keep risings, they constantly cancel listings (authentic and fake) and buyers are looking for incredible bargains. There must be another way that not only protects good, genuine sellers but also enable us to market our goods to a wide audience...any thoughts?

I had 7 things listed and sold 2. The others are still up, so I don't know yet what the final tally will be, but with the 20 cent listing sale, there's probably more things to scroll through, which might decrease sales. I don't think ebay is going to be obsolete at all. They seem to be doing quite well, despite the increased fees and the fakes problem. Maybe it IS the post-holiday scaling back.

I am an Ebay buyer (would like to sell someday soon) and I collect vintage limoges, porcelain and glass. I'm been collecting on Ebay for six years. The sales are way down and they usually are this time of year, but this year seems slower to me . . . the last several years have seemed slower, but I have no idea if that is true . . . any sellers know?

I haven't been able to attract a starting bid yet on a purse that I sold two of last month for more than the BIN price on the current one. The fakes seem to be doing quite well, though! Maybe that is the problem. Seems like the problem for any designer bag is either too much policing (ie Chanel people telling ebay to pull even authentic items) or not enough (doesn't seem that Fendi items ever get removed, no matter how blatantly fake). It makes it difficult to sell an authentic item either way.