anyone seen or have any of the classics?

Bruiser1

May 1, 2010
I am considering trying a cross body bag (I carry a better-with-age coach bleecker tan tote bag every day). Looking at several of the classics including the field bag. Would love to hear from those who have any of these.

I have a Stewardess bag from 2001 and it is beautiful. IMHO, the leather is comparable to my 1988 Station Bag, which is the oldest Coach I own. Even though I don't have a Field Bag, I love the style. I think the Classics from the Coach website are an excellent investment.

Not to confuse the issue, but on the Coach site, there are two different pages -- one for the "Classic" bags and one for the "Original" bags. If you click on the homepage and go to "Collections," you'll see the "original" link. If you go to "handbags," you'll see the "classics" link.

There is some overlap, but basically an "original" will say in the description that it has been "part of the collection since...", whereas the "classic" may be retooled, usually with lighter leather.

I have two Legacy Zips and love them. But I bought them on eBay pre-owned, both made in the U.S. That is a good option if you're interested in one of these styles. Mine are in excellent condition, and I paid considerably less than current retail for the same bag that is now made in China. I will say, though, that I compared the ones I purchased with the current one available, and I couldn't tell the difference.

Well I appreciate the input so far, girls! I like several of the classic and original bags (field, patricia, basic...) - wonder if the patricia and basic bags are big enough and if the flap gets in the way of accessing contents in the patricia. Also - what do you think about getting one of these or one of the Marc Jacobs bags (Classic Q Natasha, House of Marc Natasha, etc.)?? Sure wish I could see some of these but don't live in a place where that's possible so I'm depending on y'all! Oh these decisions :smile:

Well I appreciate the input so far, girls! I like several of the classic and original bags (field, patricia, basic...) - wonder if the patricia and basic bags are big enough and if the flap gets in the way of accessing contents in the patricia. Also - what do you think about getting one of these or one of the Marc Jacobs bags (Classic Q Natasha, House of Marc Natasha, etc.)?? Sure wish I could see some of these but don't live in a place where that's possible so I'm depending on y'all! Oh these decisions :smile:

I looked at and tried on the Patricia bag. It's pretty good-sized, but it just didn't appeal to me in terms of looks and function. The flap takes up the whole front of the bag and is not attached at all to the purse. It just didn't look right on me personally, and I know that it would drive me crazy very quickly. Also, I do prefer some exterior pocket.

Most of the older style bags are pretty small by today's standards. Before you order one you should draw out the measurements on a sheet of paper and see if it looks large enough for your needs. The Basic is a fairly small bag although it holds more that a large wristlet and many clutches. I don't have a Patricia's bag so I can't comment on it.

Two of the largest are the Stewardess and Legacy Zip, both are still available for about the same price on the Coach Originals page at coach.com. The are pretty much the same size but would probably be considered medium/large bags today, but not XL, but they are a good size.

I bought both of these bags pre-owned and cleaned them up. They were so similar that I decided to keep the Stewardess for myself and give the Legacy Zip to my sister. The Stewardess has a large front flap with slip pockets under the flap while the Legacy has a zipper closure and an outside slip pocket, so you might like it best.

I can wear my Stewardess crossbody but I can't remember about the Legacy (but probably) but they are not super-long straps and I am short. You should check the strap lengths if you are interested in any of the older bags. Some of them have quite long, adjustable straps.

Below are pics of both the Stewardess and the Legacy Zip from Coach.com and from my rehab reveals. These are glove-tanned leather Coach Original bags, not the new Coach Classics that are made of lighter weight, shiny leather. Good luck!

Stewardess:

Stewardess9525Tan028.jpg

StewardessAfter003.jpg

Legacy Zip:

CoachAdLegacyZip.jpg

LegacyZipAfterCleaning010.jpg

Hi katev - your post was so helpful and I appreciate you taking the time to give me that information and post the pictures - so great! I'm glad to know the originals are the glove-tanned leather and the classics are the newer lighter leather. Going to continue looking and this has helped me in my search! Thanks again!

Hi katev - your post was so helpful and I appreciate you taking the time to give me that information and post the pictures - so great! I'm glad to know the originals are the glove-tanned leather and the classics are the newer lighter leather. Going to continue looking and this has helped me in my search! Thanks again!

My pleasure, good luck with your search!