Anyone scared of buying Chanel

I’m not scared to buy, but since the classic flap is so hard to get in Southern California, I’m planning on getting one when I go back to Paris in 1-2 years. I am just afraid of going all that way and still not being able to get one.

Reactions: CaliSunShine
Ive bought 5 bags in past 3 months, most recent is lamb (2 out of the new 5 are lamb, 2 caviar and a calf) and my lamb bags are soft and supple, just like my older ones.
+1, my newer lambskin was similar to older ones, but I don’t scrutinize much
historically I also prefer seasonal bags, and dislike caviar.
of the ones I kept, most are aged calf (reissue), however I do have plenty of chanel lambskin in RTW.

my focus is RTW, and I trust my SA to point me towards items that work for my lifestyle within my price range

Last edited:
Reactions: Swanky
My navy one is truly seasonal, it's very different for me. Double gold chain with Chanel buttons. We go to lots of Dallas Cowboys events so it'll be fun! The other 2 are "classic" but seasonal colors.

View attachment 5581941

View attachment 5581942

View attachment 5581943

View attachment 5581947
Btw how does your seasonal flap with the cute buttons compare to a typical rectangular mini in terms of capacity? There’s a WOC with the same double chain and buttons at my store but I think I prefer the seasonal flap bag version might be more practical if I can hunt one down

Right! Click bait and monetization is real.

Not to mention Chanel quality threads reach back at least decade around here lol. The social media reach is much wider than it use to be. I remember when we first heard about this place called “YouTube” in the CL subforum. We only made videos with our low quality cameras because we wanted each other to see the shoes we possibly wanted “in action,” not for reviews! Now, YouTube is a whole other beast!

The moment I read a thread with a guy taking his wife to the Chanel store for her dream bag on a milestone birthday and him turning it into pulling out his ruler and measuring the flaps and inspecting it with his glasses I knew I was done listening to what people on sm says. To me, he ruined her long awaited day (a medium flap was her holy grail) because of TWO (out of the thousands of bags Chanel sell) videos he saw online. He ended up convincing her to go to LV. Ugh! It’s amazing the power that social media has over some. It’s always important for me to have my own experience since I will be the one carrying it.
That is a sad story. I love LV. But if his wife’s dream bag was a classic double flap, then it’s so disappointing that her dream was subjugated to his preference and concerns, regardless of his intentions. I feel so sad for her.

Am I scared of buying Chanel? Well, not going to lie, I start sweating profusely, especially on the back of my neck, when I’m handing over my credit card to purchase a bag :P but thankfully, that has nothing to do with the quality and everything to do with the cost $$$

In all seriousness though, certainly do question durability of some models, longevity when it comes to style (will it still be relevant 10+ years from now and if not, will I still love it?) and what else I can buy in that price bracket. I love Chanel Jumbos, they are quite perfect for my lifestyle and work in pretty much any situation for me, from Walmart runs to glamorous weddings. However, at around $10k USD, it now has a LOT more competition. Not to mention the price tag being a scary thing safety wise as muggings are on the rise, so that scares me too in a different sort of way.

Long story short, yes and no to Chanel purchases scaring me. There are both pros and cons for me, it just boils down to whether or not I feel I will love the item for a looooong time

Chiming in I’m a seasonal colors girl and my pieces have gone on shopping trips, brunches, weddings, concerts, and…food festivals! WOC only at food fests hehe. I really love the pop of an iridescent.

I haven’t felt like I needed to really scrutinize my bags before purchase. I do a casual check for signs of shelf wear, structural symmetry, and twisted chains. If my SA gets me a piece fresh out of the box I glance to make sure it’s the color/style I wanted and haven’t discovered any unfortunate surprises at home. Overall my experiences have been positive so definitely not afraid to buy Chanel. I approach getting LV the same way.

I’m not scared to buy, but since the classic flap is so hard to get in Southern California, I’m planning on getting one when I go back to Paris in 1-2 years. I am just afraid of going all that way and still not being able to get one.
One could argue that it's worth the airfare alone to fly to Paris now/this year, given where the exchange rate is at, VAT refund, and in 1-2 years flight and bag prices will be higher, as well as the exchange rate may normalize.

I am "scared" or more concerned about buying Chanel lambskin leather bags as the lambskin quality to me seems to be getting worse. I don't feel the same way about buying the caviar. Just me?
I just bought a Trendy CC and the lamb is luxurios and soft, overall the bag is really well made. I love it!! Although I didn't like this top handle style before - I think I'm getting old LOL

That is a sad story. I love LV. But if his wife’s dream bag was a classic double flap, then it’s so disappointing that her dream was subjugated to his preference and concerns, regardless of his intentions. I feel so sad for her.
Very sad. I felt bad for her as well. I’d hate for my husband to step in and ruin my bag buying experience whether he’s paying for it with “his bonus” or not! I like LV also but her “holy grail” bag that’s she’s always wanted for her milestone bday was Chanel. She had wanted this bag for 20 plus years. I truly can’t believe he typed that story and didn’t see how he ruined it for her! I’m sure she just went with it to keep his mouth shut. He probably really thought he was doing something major. Oddly enough people complain about LV quality as well and he seemingly didn’t go watch a yt video for that one. I think the price get a loooot of people tripped up.

Btw how does your seasonal flap with the cute buttons compare to a typical rectangular mini in terms of capacity? There’s a WOC with the same double chain and buttons at my store but I think I prefer the seasonal flap bag version might be more practical if I can hunt one down

I’ll compare tomorrow, off hand I’ll predict they’re very similar.
A WoC is totally different. Thinner so holds less but has longer chain.

Reactions: TPFer2015
TIA!! I don’t have a WOC. Considered one for years to start my foray into Chanel, but always hesitated due to capacity, at least for the way I would use it. But I was definitely tempted by the Twist Buttons / medallion version from 22A. The flap bag version would be perfect I think (if I chance upon it somewhere)!