Anyone scared of buying Chanel

Remotely yes could be like playing roulette. The color might not be what you are expecting when you open that box from a remote sale. There could be a unnoticed flaw that wasn't seen in videos or pictures from a remote sale.
For me if I'm going to be paying a couple thousands of dollars for a handbag, rtw, high end jewelry I want this transaction to be in person.

After reading several posts here and seeing the recent condition of the bags on u tube ,I am not that excited anymore of buying Chanel .Spending thousands of dollars and no idea what leather it is makes me question ,” do I really want another bag “ .I have been waitlisted for a bag from coming collection but I am not sure anymore ,more so as of the certain bags I purchased for the previous collection .Anyone sitting on the fence !!!

I’m not scared to purchase any more Chanel. But I’m not as excited when it comes to Chanel. I still love the aesthetic and will always follow the eye candy, but I need to be head over heels before I drop the $$$$$ on a Chanel bag these days.

The last purchase I made was a small caramel flap a few months ago. It was love at first sight. But just not loving the current releases enough to take the plunge.

Scared to buy? Never. No. I’ve learned long ago to not let social media determine what I do, how I do or what I buy in any parts of my life. Social media is a highlight reel only and a small percentage of what is (at least in my world).

I am starting to wonder if a *part* of why Chanel is not taking classic (their big ticket, popular items) orders remotely is to cut down on returns.

I’ve never owned anything Chanel besides makeup. I’ve been saving for a Chanel small or medium in either a classic flap or 2.55 for a while now. It’s an aspirational piece for me. I had totally bought into the whole Chanel mystique. It was the ultimate fashion house for me. I wanted in the club, lol.

All this info about about the poor quality and poor craftsmanship is deflating and has tarnished the Chanel luster for me. I’m going to Paris in November and was planning on shopping then and getting a bag if available. But maybe I should put that money towards something else. Thinking about it is making me sad.

Last edited:
I'd take what you read with a big grain of salt! Like Vlad said in another thread YouTubers are incentivized to make dramatic videos. Happy people like me aren't flocking to write posts of content online. I guarantee there's more satisfied than unsatisfied.
I've been buying for nearly 20 years, I've bought 5 bags since April (replacing stolen bags) and have never once had a quality issue or a poor shopping experience. In those years, I've never used the same SA and I've shopped in boutiques worldwide. People like to go online to complain, no one seems interested in writing good experiences.
Walk in any boutique and hopefully they have the bag of your dreams!

I’ve never owned anything Chanel besides makeup. I’ve been saving for a Chanel small or medium in either a classic flap or 2.55 for a while now. It’s an aspirational piece for me. I had totally bought into the whole Chanel mystique. It was the ultimate fashion house for me. I wanted in the club, lol.

All this info about about the poor quality and poor craftsmanship is deflating and has tarnished the Chanel luster for me. I’m going to Paris in November and was planning on shopping then and getting a bag if available. But maybe I should put that’s money towards something else. Thinking about it is making me sad.
My husband just gifted me my first Chanel during our trip to Paris...I have been strictly LV since my 20s due to what I could afford so never really researched or watched videos about Chanel quality, etc. My experience at the boutique was fabulous and I love my new classic flap! I admit to looking it over obsessively now that I've read all of these threads, but I have to say I am extremely pleased with my bag and so proud and happy to have it! And no obvious issues as I've seen on this forum or youtube! I agree people are more likely to talk about a negative situation than a positive one so I wanted to pop on to say I had a wonderful experience and I adore my new (and first) Chanel bag! Enjoy!

I'd take what you read with a big grain of salt! Like Vlad said in another thread YouTubers are incentivized to make dramatic videos. Happy people like me aren't flocking to write posts of content online. I guarantee there's more satisfied than unsatisfied.
I've been buying for nearly 20 years, I've bought 5 bags since April (replacing stolen bags) and have never once had a quality issue or a poor shopping experience. In those years, I've never used the same SA and I've shopped in boutiques worldwide. People like to go online to complain, no one seems interested in writing good experiences.
Walk in any boutique and hopefully they have the bag of your dreams!
Right! Click bait and monetization is real.

Not to mention Chanel quality threads reach back at least decade around here lol. The social media reach is much wider than it use to be. I remember when we first heard about this place called “YouTube” in the CL subforum. We only made videos with our low quality cameras because we wanted each other to see the shoes we possibly wanted “in action,” not for reviews! Now, YouTube is a whole other beast!

The moment I read a thread with a guy taking his wife to the Chanel store for her dream bag on a milestone birthday and him turning it into pulling out his ruler and measuring the flaps and inspecting it with his glasses I knew I was done listening to what people on sm says. To me, he ruined her long awaited day (a medium flap was her holy grail) because of TWO (out of the thousands of bags Chanel sell) videos he saw online. He ended up convincing her to go to LV. Ugh! It’s amazing the power that social media has over some. It’s always important for me to have my own experience since I will be the one carrying it.

This is sad but a true reality for many. I was really interested in the 22 bag but held off due to social media talking about quality issues about the bag peeling. It’s just no longer fun when you have to inspect/worry about the things that you’re supposed to enjoy.

Reactions: bibogirl
Scared to buy? Never. No. I’ve learned long ago to not let social media determine what I do, how I do or what I buy in any parts of my life. Social media is a highlight reel only and a small percentage of what is (at least in my world).

I am starting to wonder if a *part* of why Chanel is not taking classic (their big ticket, popular items) orders remotely is to cut down on returns.
I agree.

Reactions: jimmyshoogirl
My husband just gifted me my first Chanel during our trip to Paris...I have been strictly LV since my 20s due to what I could afford so never really researched or watched videos about Chanel quality, etc. My experience at the boutique was fabulous and I love my new classic flap! I admit to looking it over obsessively now that I've read all of these threads, but I have to say I am extremely pleased with my bag and so proud and happy to have it! And no obvious issues as I've seen on this forum or youtube! I agree people are more likely My husband just gifted me my first Chanel during our trip to Paris...I have been strictly LV since my 20s due to what I could afford so never really researched or watched videos about Chanel quality, etc. My experience at the boutique was fabulous and I love my new classic flap! I admit to looking it over obsessively now that I've read all of these threads, but I have to say I am extremely pleased with my bag and so proud and happy to have it! And no obvious issues as I've seen on this forum or youtube! I agree people are more likely to talk about a negative situation than a positive one so I wanted to pop on to say I had a wonderful experience and I adore my new (and first) Chanel bag! Enjoy!
Thank you. I’m glad you had a positive experience! I agree people who have a negative experience are louder than those who are happy. And clickbait and the monetization of views and clicks is a driving force.

I did go inside a Chanel boutique inside a Neiman Marcus and tried on a mini 2.55 and a small classic flap in a seasonal color. The 2.55 was a medium pink. So cute. But it didn’t feel very nice. I have heard on YouTube that the seasonal colors are not as good quality leather as the classic colors. So there’s that. I’m not sure how much stock I can put into that statement.

I’m admittedly not a leather connoisseur. So maybe I don’t know what good leather is supposed to feel like? Anyways, I walked out, slightly disappointed but also excited because I got to touch my first Chanel bag ever, lol. I perused Neiman Marcus’ handbag selection and talked to my regular SA and asked her what she thought of Chanel handbag quality. She said Hermes (which they don’t sell) and Bottega has better quality leather and construction.

So I’m torn. I’m not going to save up a bit more to get an Hermes bag (they probably wouldn’t offer to let me buy one anyway, lol). I wouldn’t turn one away if you were giving it to me for free but they’re just not my style.

BUT, I have always wanted a tweed pret-a-porter Chanel jacket. Maybe that’s what I’ll get in Paris instead.

Reactions: CaliSunShine
Thank you. I’m glad you had a positive experience! I agree people who have a negative experience are louder than those who are happy. And clickbait and the monetization of views and clicks is a driving force.

I did go inside a Chanel boutique inside a Neiman Marcus and tried on a mini 2.55 and a small classic flap in a seasonal color. The 2.55 was a medium pink. So cute. But it didn’t feel very nice. I have heard on YouTube that the seasonal colors are not as good quality leather as the classic colors. So there’s that. I’m not sure how much stock I can put into that statement.

I’m admittedly not a leather connoisseur. So maybe I don’t know what good leather is supposed to feel like? Anyways, I walked out, slightly disappointed but also excited because I got to touch my first Chanel bag ever, lol. I perused Neiman Marcus’ handbag selection and talked to my regular SA and asked her what she thought of Chanel handbag quality. She said Hermes (which they don’t sell) and Bottega has better quality leather and construction.

So I’m torn. I’m not going to save up a bit more to get an Hermes bag (they probably wouldn’t offer to let me buy one anyway, lol). I wouldn’t turn one away if you were giving it to me for free but they’re just not my style.

BUT, I have always wanted a tweed pret-a-porter Chanel jacket. Maybe that’s what I’ll get in Paris instead.

In my personal experience, this is untrue. My preferences are not Classics, I don't like classic flaps for example. . .
Most of my collection has been seasonal and the leathers are always different, as any skin will be, but never not as nice as a classic.
If you picked up a bag that wasn't a nice leather, then I'd wait for a different batch; also not all leathers are supple, it's so subjective!

Do you have your heart set on a seasonal color? If not perhaps look at a classic flap in black to compare leathers? I fell in love with the lamb as it was very luxurious to both touch and smell! The caviar in person didn't do it for me in black because it came across almost greyish compared to the lamb. But either way if you check one of those out you will have a better point of comparison (I didn't look at any seasonal bags as I knew I wanted a classic either small or medium. Let yourself enjoy the experience no matter the outcome!

Reactions: bibogirl