Anyone run into the same thing with PayPal?

rainrowan

where's my bag?!
O.G.
Apr 25, 2006
I am unhappy with the way PayPal set up their options to take the credit card. I've only paid via credit card so I can keep track and do chargeback if it comes to that, that is my security. I know PayPal prefer buyers' bank account with direct payment, but why do they keep changing the set up so that it becomes confusing to choose the right option?

Before they kept making the changes, I never had a problem with just getting on the credit card charges. This is the second time I have gone through PayPal thinking I was choosing the credit card option and the second time I've found it went thru my bank account, overdrawing it again! Not only that, I thought PayPal would turn over to the credit card account to cover any insufficient funds but they don't, so I end up with a negative on the bank account with a overdraft charge of $25. Why am I not seeing the balance taken out of my credit card?

Has this happened to anybody else? I am livid right now with myself for not catching myself before payment went through but I also feel PayPal is doing its best to cause people to miss a step and end up paying directly with their bank accounts. Is there anything I can do at this point? :confused1:

I share your frustration as I just did that yesterday, for some unknown reasons I completely missed the screen that tell me that the fund will be draw from my bank account instead of my credit card. :sad:

I hate PayPal for that any many other reasons.
I don't think there is an option to change the default payment option to CC so you're stuck having to have to change it each time and sometimes even forgetting; happened to me too! After you choose the credit card you want to use, they ask you again if you would like to use the credit card or your bank account which is in BOLD so always watch out for that. I'm guessing PayPal is losing lots of money from credit cards and that's why they implemented such a system.

I will tell you what I have done so that my bank account is not connected with Paypal.

I bought a Walmart Visa/MC debit card that I can add money to at any Walmart, when you register the tempory card online, a debit card with your name is mailed out to you and you get bank account info , account number and routing info, so that you can set up direct deposit or drafts for bills and things like that.
I used that info as my checking account info and the debit/credit card is the credit card listed , so the only place the money can come from is the Walmart card or Walmart checking account that is assoicated with it. It is not a normal checking account as you do not have check writting privalges, but it is a debit/credit card that you add money to when you want to use it and if there is not money it will decline. Also it is safer to use online since it is not connected to your real life money.

So if this is your banking account and there are no funds available, then it would go to you next payment choice automatically. The website is
https://www.walmartmoneycard.com/walmart/homepage.aspx

I think these card are also available from other venders like Walgreens and CVS.

I hope that helps you out.

We also have an account like that, but it's not WalMart. It's called Account Now, which is awesome because it works the same way as the WalMart one. The nice thing is technically it is a checking account, but same thing, you do not have check writing privileges, which is perfect because I wanted it specifically for my PayPal account, as well. It can accept deposits (which allows me to get verified) but you cannot make debits unless you have a debit card, not as a checking account (via routing number, etc.).

I love it, because ever since I have done this (about 4 years ago), I never have to worry about PayPal taking money from my REAL checking account, which got to be ridiculous and screwed us over many times. And you get a debit card with the Mastercard logo, so you can also add this card to your credit card queue under PP, as well. It has been a godsend for us.

I will tell you what I have done so that my bank account is not connected with Paypal.

I bought a Walmart Visa/MC debit card that I can add money to at any Walmart, when you register the tempory card online, a debit card with your name is mailed out to you and you get bank account info , account number and routing info, so that you can set up direct deposit or drafts for bills and things like that.
I used that info as my checking account info and the debit/credit card is the credit card listed , so the only place the money can come from is the Walmart card or Walmart checking account that is assoicated with it. It is not a normal checking account as you do not have check writting privalges, but it is a debit/credit card that you add money to when you want to use it and if there is not money it will decline. Also it is safer to use online since it is not connected to your real life money.

So if this is your banking account and there are no funds available, then it would go to you next payment choice automatically. The website is

I think these card are also available from other venders like Walgreens and CVS.

Wow this is a really great idea, I've never thought of it! I'm always so paranoid that paypal has my bank account info. I really need to look into this. Thanks for the tip! :tup:

Rainrowan:

I have had this exact same problem with Paypal. Before when I purchased something on eBay, the charge always went thru my credit card. However this past summer it somehow changed and it started going thru my bank. I never keep alot of money in that bank as it is used solely for eBay purchases etc and I prefer the purchase go thru my credit card for protection.

Anyhow I made a couple of online purchases and they were directed via Paypal to my bank. Needless to say the purchases could not go thru as there were insufficient funds. My bank kept charging me fees. Before long I owed $85 in bank fees and the purchases were never forwarded to my credit card as had always happened in the past. When I went to this bank, the manager saw what was happening and suspended my account so I would not keep accruing fees. It seems this situation happens alot with Paypal and they were very familiar with it.

So my account was closed and I re-opened a new one but this time I have $500 worth of overdraft insurance. However I am still not comfortable with that as do not like to leave any of my money unprotected where Paypal is concerned.

During this time my Paypal account was also given limited access as they saw my purchases bouncing. I could not redeem any money in my Paypal account so if I happened to sell an item on eBay, it would stay in the Paypal account. I tried for a long time to call them, only to be put on hold for 20+ minutes and then to be cut off. When I wrote them online I was given a canned response. My account was not fixed for over 6 weeks.

I just loathe them and will take clb1968's advice.

I hear ya; it's like PP is corroborating with scammers to weasel out of this so they don't have to lose money should anything happen. This was exactly how I've been scammed one time; I read the bs PP wrote on the funding screen and chose to pay via my bank account, seller did not send item, PP was able to recover $0 and the claim was closed, and I'm left with no money. PP is seriously growing to be a dishonest organization IMO after eBay bought it.

Now that's a great idea!

I hear ya; it's like PP is corroborating with scammers to weasel out of this so they don't have to lose money should anything happen. This was exactly how I've been scammed one time; I read the bs PP wrote on the funding screen and chose to pay via my bank account, seller did not send item, PP was able to recover $0 and the claim was closed, and I'm left with no money. PP is seriously growing to be a dishonest organization IMO after eBay bought it.

Are you serious? That's horrible.

So let me get this straight, basically since you paid with your checking account, and the seller doesn't follow through with their end of the transaction, you cannot recover your money? OMG. That is horrible. This should be illegal.

I am so glad I cannot use that account as a regular checking account, because I noticed that they always list this account as the default payment now, no longer my primary credit card. Luckily, I notice before I pay, otherwise it too would come back as insufficient funds. Ugh!!!!!

I'm sorry this happened to you. I really hope it wasn't a lot of money. Not that that's the point, as it's about the principle. But still...

Are you serious? That's horrible.

So let me get this straight, basically since you paid with your checking account, and the seller doesn't follow through with their end of the transaction, you cannot recover your money? OMG. That is horrible. This should be illegal.

I am so glad I cannot use that account as a regular checking account, because I noticed that they always list this account as the default payment now, no longer my primary credit card. Luckily, I notice before I pay, otherwise it too would come back as insufficient funds. Ugh!!!!!

I'm sorry this happened to you. I really hope it wasn't a lot of money. Not that that's the point, as it's about the principle. But still...

There is a current class-action lawsuit for this. On the page where you have to change from bank account to CC Paypal states something like "as much protection as your credit card, do you still want to make the switch?" when that is clearly not the case.

OP- that is the point, they make it to where you use your bank account and if anything goes wrong THEY are not responsible for recovering any money for you. If you were able to do a chargeback then Paypal would be out the money and THEY would have to go after the seller to recover the money.

They make it difficult to automatically pay with a CC because they don't WANT buyers to use their CC. It is very sneaky the way they have their selection pages set up and it is VERY easy to make a mistake and find your money has zoomed out of your bank account!!