Anyone owns a VCA engagement ring?

charmander55

Jun 23, 2017
Hi everyone. I'm kind of new here. I am picking my engagement ring now, and I have looked at all the available stores in Toronto (Cartier, VCA, and tiffany) and I think I like VCA the best. However, the price, of course, is the highest among all the jewellery brands. A 1.3 carat F colour is around 50K CAD, 1.7 carat F colour is around 80K.

Does anyone own an VCA engagement ring? How do you like your ring? Do you think your ring is worth the extra money?

• Wow
Reactions: A bottle of Red
In all honesty, I don’t think it’s worth getting an engagement ring from any of these brands. You are better off going to an independent jeweler- you can customize it and get much, much more for your money. The markup is not worth it; you’re paying for the name and no one can tell that it’s a VCA, Tiffany's, etc.
I understand that, except I really like branded things, and all of my friends have branded engagement rings haha

Reactions: honey and hhw
Hi everyone. I'm kind of new here. I am picking my engagement ring now, and I have looked at all the available stores in Toronto (Cartier, VCA, and tiffany) and I think I like VCA the best. However, the price, of course, is the highest among all the jewellery brands. A 1.3 carat F colour is around 50K CAD, 1.7 carat F colour is around 80K.

Does anyone own an VCA engagement ring? How do you like your ring? Do you think your ring is worth the extra money?

As long as we're thinking of branding, engagement rings don't really come to mind when I think of VCA. I feel like Tiffany, Harry Winston, Graff, etc. are better known for engagement rings specifically.

I’m curious as to which exact design you are considering as I just had a quick look at their website and none seem very remarkable (ie the classic Tiffany knife edge 6prong solitaire is worth the price to me because it’s classically reknown as Tiffany, I don’t see any VCA ones that give that same “omg only from VCA feeling” but I could Be missing it)

Reactions: fdc and tulipfield
I agree, i don't think a branded e-ring is worth it generally (you could buy an un-branded one and all the Birkins and Kellys your heart desires for the same price). My E ring is about 1.3 ct F color and it was about $7k... a branded ring would have to bring something very novel to the equation, like very clear branding. I think Tiffany is a good suggestion or Cartier or even David Yurman with his cable design E-rings. Just my opinion! Whichever one you really love is the "Best" one.

I understand that, except I really like branded things, and all of my friends have branded engagement rings haha
If you feel that way, then perhaps you’ve answered your own question. :biggrin: IMO (and I’ve been married 30 years and have had several engagement rings, i find that its like pearls, the older you are, the more size and sparkle matter. i would personally prefer more carats of the best quality that is comfortably in ones means. If i were to go branded, perhaps I’d check out Cartier. (I do like branded things but prefer that the design be unique to the brand. My current obsession is Suzanne Belperron (from Verdura Belperron) But its a personal choice, buy what makes you happy, and congrats on your engagement.

Last edited:
As long as we're thinking of branding, engagement rings don't really come to mind when I think of VCA. I feel like Tiffany, Harry Winston, Graff, etc. are better known for engagement rings specifically.

Yes exactly...except we don't have HW/Graff in toronto. My first choice is HW, but i can't go to the US to try it on...that's why i'm asking on the forum to see what other people's opinions are haha

Reactions: tulipfield
I’m curious as to which exact design you are considering as I just had a quick look at their website and none seem very remarkable (ie the classic Tiffany knife edge 6prong solitaire is worth the price to me because it’s classically reknown as Tiffany, I don’t see any VCA ones that give that same “omg only from VCA feeling” but I could Be missing it)

I like icone, but it's quite a common design...

If you feel that way, then perhaps you’ve answered your own question. :biggrin: IMO (and I’ve been married 30 years and have had several engagement rings, i find that its like pearls, the older you are, the more size and sparkle matter. i would personally prefer more carats of the best quality that is comfortably in ones means. If i were to go branded, perhaps I’d check out Cartier. But its a personal choice, buy what makes you happy, and congrats on your engagement. (I do like branded things but prefer that the design be unique to the brand. My current obsession is Suzanne Belperron (from Verdura Belperron)

I've booked an appointment to look at Cartier. I don't like any of their designs from pictures though....perhaps the real thing will be different.

Reactions: 880
I feel it is worth buying your engagement ring from a luxury brand. Yes you will get a smaller diamond for your budget and a big part of what you will be paying will be for the brand, BUT I feel that a Cartier or VCA ring really is superior in terms of craftmanship and design, even for very classic rings, with a better balance of proportions etc. It is a subtle diference but for me it was important. I’d say it depends on your priorities, and what speaks to you, lots of people will be more sensitive to the size of the stone they can get which is completely understandable.
Now for VCA specifically, it is true that they have an even higher price point than other luxury houses, but I would not say that the quality is better than Cartier for example. So for me unless you absolutely fall in love with one of their designs, not necessarily worth it.
Do let us know what you found at Cartier! I love their ballerine solitaire personally :smile:

I'd rather have a superideal cut diamond (if round brilliant) from somewhere like Whiteflash that is larger and even better cut than the friends' branded rings, and I'd get a diamond wedding band from Tiffany or VCA. In fact, that is almost what I have now. I have specialty cut diamond in a Tiffany repro setting and wear a Tiffany Legacy wedding band. (My diamond studs are from Whiteflash which is why I am using them as a comparison for you.) Other shapes will not be as easy to find in great cuts as rounds, but it is very possible with a little work and help.

Obviously I don't know what shape diamond you want, but for $50,000 CAD (which is about $38k USD), you can get over 2 cts in a top cut ideal cut diamond:

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4092517.htm ($57k CAD)

I will say that after years of being on a diamond forum, we have seen people go to look at the high end brands and show us the grading reports on rounds which were not as well cut as these above. Other than when you initially become engaged and perhaps your friends ask where the ring was purchased, no one is ever going to ask that. People will notice a beautiful, large diamond and complement it, though.