Anyone on #teamfountainpen?

jade

O.G.
Jan 15, 2006
After a bunch of years of curiosity and false starts, I splurged and got my first real fountain pen. I’ve been a casual pen addict for years.

A while ago a bought a cheap scratchy pen and only used it a handful of times and forgot about it. The ink dried out of course.

This week I splurged on a Lamy Lx pen (it was rose gold! I had to do it). I was looking for a rollerball but the Lamy pens were so smooth so I decided to give it a try. I decided to get violet ink since this would be for cards, notes and my private journal - not work.

I broke it in with some random scribbles and some thank you notes to my coworkers since I am leaving this week.

So does anyone fountain pen? What’s your favorite ink?

I own a couple dozen fountain pens, one of which is the Lamy Lx in rose gold. Lamy is a pretty good brand, they've got a lot of reliable pens. My favorite Lamy is my Safari in dark lilac with a 1.1 stub nib, inked with my favorite ink De Atramentis Aubergine. It's a deep, reddish purple with really good flow. I really like purple and gray inks, but have been getting more into teals and turquoises as of late.

Favorite pen I own is probably my Delta Unica, followed by my Franklin-Christoph pocket 66. Just a couple of days ago I purchased a Pilot Decimo, a retractable fountain pen that will be good for work, I think.

What nib is on your Lx?

I got the extra fine. I tend to like fairly fine pens. As fine as you can get without a scratchy feeling. :smile:

I started out my fountain pen journey liking needlepoints and extra fines, too. Recently been getting into fines and mediums, though, because I love the shading properties of inks, and it's usually difficult to get good shading from extra fines. EFs are great for writing on crappy paper, though! YEah, I hate it when they're scratchy. Usually you can correct that yourself by adjusting the tines or using mylar paper to smooth any burrs on the tip. There's always the chance of ruining them though, which I've done a couple of times. Luckily on cheap replacement nibs haha

There's a great thread with pictures of pens and stationery in the jewelry forum. You should find it if you search "fountain pens". I also love that rose gold Lamy! I like that it comes with a pretty case too! My favorites are any Pelkan-even the student ones are great, Waterman, and Lamy. Inks: Pelikan, Noodler's, Diamine, J. Herbin, Waterman, Pilot Iroshizuku. :smile: For some reason I'm not crazy about Lamy inks. I can't remember if they are too wet or why I don't like them as much as others, but they're okay.