Anyone live in or near College Park MD?

twin53

O.G.
Jan 24, 2007
my son will be relocating there at the end of this month. what are the major grocery chains? is there a large mall near there and what stores does it have? anything you can tell us would be very helpful. he already has a place to live near the metro line. TIA

I don't live near College Park but I have *several* friends who live there for school & they all love it. Since UMDCP is there I am sure there is probably a major store like Giant or Safeway near. As for malls, Arundel Mills is kind of close, maybe 15-20 drive away. It's a pretty nice mall, tons of stores.

thank you, beantownSugar, Jira and gnourtmat! he leaves next week for his internship and this really helps us. I used to live in the Falls Church area as a kid but that was a gazilllion years ago. just finding affordable housing was crazy. all your info is wonderful. thanks again.

There will be a bazillion things around there for him. No shortage of anything since he will be right near a major university. I haven't lived there in years but I know that there are Safeway's, Giant, and probably like a Sam's or Costco nearby. Plus all the smaller local stores.

thanks, truegem. i'm glad he found something in a college town. in fact my dad got his mba there in the 1960's. and he has a sams club membership so i'm glad he can make use of it there.

Over here :smile:

Maryland had lovely liquor laws that state you can't buy beer/wine/liquor in a grocery store; however, down Route 1 at Cherry Hill Rd (there's a Starbucks and Home Depot in that shopping center as well), there is a Shoppers Food Warehouse that has the rare liquor license, and sells beer and wine. I personally don't like their meat, it seems to go bad really fast. This is the discount chain and does not require a 'club card' of any sorts to get the sales.

Further down Rt.1 is the Beltsville Costco. It is reportedly the best stocked Costco in the area--if there's an item you want, chances are if this one doesn't have it, none do. Only complaint is parking can be a little cruddy on weekends.

If you take Rt.1 to 193 (towards Greenbelt, not towards UMUC) is a place called Beltway plaza, there is a Giant Food. A little ghetto and a place I don't feel comfortable shopping at, as I know someone who was mugged there.

If you go out the Founder's gate/main entrance of the university, past the airport and metro, make a left on Hanover Parkway (the light where you see Doctor's Hospital) and go down a little, right where it hits 193/Greenbelt Rd, there is a Safeway. Not a bad place to shop even though the prices can be a little high but it really is a nice store with good selection, except I'd hesitate to be there around 5:30-7 most weekdays and Saturdays as it can be busy. Very busy parking lot and people are bold, so be careful. If I had to pick a go to grocery store, this would be mine.

Just general shopping. They've slated to revitalize downtown CP and add a shopping mall--but I think that's about 4 years out as it didnt' get stimulus funding/is not planned out enough. The small shopping center complex on Knox Rd (right at the edge of campus) has a CVS and a couple places to grab something to eat (the strip right across of it has like 12 places to eat), and I believe a Rugged Warehouse.

I wouldn't go to PG Plaza in the dark. It isn't the best area by a long shot. There is a Target that I've been to (daytime) that is huge, well stocked and clean.

Arundel Mills is somewhat of a drive down the BW Parkway. Be aware that at 32/NSA, traffic ALWAYS backs up. People slow down because of the amount of traffic coming out of the area, but also because there are cops and Park Police just sitting there with their lights on so people don't want to get pulled over.

The closest Sams is down the BW Parkway immediately at the 198 exit. Not too far, but a decent short drive. It is also next to a large Walmart. Across from it on the other side of 198 is a strip mall with a Target, Kohls, Sports Authority, Party City, Panera, a cake place, and Corridor Wine and Spirits (if he wants any type of alcohol, this is the place to go!).

Laurel Mall is further down Rt.1, past Costco. It's a bit dumpy, a lot of tenants have moved out, and it has seen better days. I know there is a Macys.

If he needs to go to a "mall" (Arundel Mills is technically an outlet place), his best bet would be to hop on 495 to exit 19 towards Annapolis (Route 50), and drive down to the 450/Parole exit to go to Annapolis Mall. That place has everything he could probably want. There is also a Trader Joes (strip mall by Nordstrom) and Whole Foods (visible as you exit Route 50, it is on the left).

Hope that helps some!

PS--the 24 hour McDonalds right off campus is slower than heck. Really avoid it if you're in a time crunch!!