Food Anyone Like Taboule Salad

I love it! I agree, please post the recipe! I grew up with it & other arab/mediterranean foods as my mom was born in the mid-east, except she does not make it from scratch much...

I love Tabouli. I also make it from scratch - bulgar wheat (takes about 3 hours to throughly soak), red onions, garlic, tomatoes, parsley, scallions, lemon, olive oil and pepper. it seems like there is something else also that I can't remember.... it takes a long time if you hand chop all your ingrediants - but I always do - it's a theraputic process!! :smile:

Since we're still waiting on Prince's recipe I 'll post a recipe of the way tabouleh is usually made(make sure to chop everything very fine!)

TABOULEH

• 2/3 cup bulgur wheat
    1/2 cup fresh mint, chopped
    1-1/2 cups fresh parsley, chopped
    1 large tomato, diced
    1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
    2/3 cup green onions, chopped
    1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
    1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
    pinch of salt
Soak bulgur wheat in cold water for 2 hours (or as directed
on package). Drain well, squeezing out any excess water.
Mix all ingredients together in large bowl. Cover and chill.
Serve tabouleh mounded on a bed of lettuce, accompanied
by extra lettuce leaves, lemon wedges and warm pita bread.

280px-Tabbouleh2.jpg

Tabouli is my thing! I make it all the time! Here's the recipe from the back of the package. (with my commentary)
  • 1 16oz. PKG of Taboli wheat
  • 1 to 1¼ cup vegetable oil. (can use oil of your choice)
  • 1 to 1¼ cup lemon juice
  • 2 Bunches parsley finely chopped
  • 4 Bunches green onions w/tops finely chopped
  • 4 large tomatoes finely chopped
  • 1 Cucumber finely chopped
  • 2 tsp. Salt
  • 3 tsp. Black Pepper
Directions:
Rinse and drain wheat (I always put it in a bowl and cover with hot water -- by the time I'm done chopping it's tender). Mix wheat, oil, and lemon juice together (I actually add the oil and lemon to the salad last) and let set while chopping the above vegetables. After all is chopped, mix all ingredients together and refrigerate for at least four hours. Stir two or three times while in the refrigerator. Will keep up to one week if properly refrigerated.

I usually use only two tomatoes and squeeze out the seeds and juice -- or sometimes grape tomatoes cut in quarters. I like more cucumber and add a yellow bell pepper or two (they're prettier). I have a vintage citrus juicer and squeeze about 6 or 7 large lemons. And instead of a cup of oil, I put in more like 1/2 cup of olive oil.
Also, I like to add a can of garbanzo beans (rinsed) -- makes it a meal for me.

YUM! I'm going to have to pick up all the ingredients tomorrow and make a batch!

I said I was going to make it and I did! I documented the process here.

The finished product:
2448190683_8289503abc_m.jpg