Anyone know about Betsey Johnson?

yayagirl6

Jan 30, 2006
I've seen some of these bags on Ebay and they seem closer to my price range than most. Is she a new designer? Quality? Younger/older crowd? Where are her bags normally sold? I'm really curious what you guys know! Thanks.

she's a clothing designer that has been around forever and started a handbag line last year I think. Funky, fun, stuff that is sold in most of the major department stores like macy's, lord & taylor, nordstom, bloomies. I don't own any of her bags so I don't know much about quality though.

She's not a new designer. A lot of her stuff is too flashy, studded, or trendy for me, but they look fun. (If you like the glam-hippy look lol) She's definitely a hit-or-miss designer. And her bags generally look like improvised Isabella Fiore bags. Some of her cardigans are cute, but many of her pieces, I think, are kinda... scandelous. I've only seen her stuff at BJ boutiques.

I can't believe you've never heard of Betsy Johnson, she's been around for along time :amazed: she's more famous for her (sometimes whimsical) sexy clothesline, kinda like designer Anna Sui. She just recently started focusing more on her handbag line, I have a couple of her bags, the quality is excellent for the price. I've only seen her bags either at her boutiques or at nordstroms and small assorted boutiques. She also has a website.

I LOVE Betsey! she has been around forever and her bags and clothes are at Saks and Neimans. She is def punk rock and scandal fo sho. Vintage is collectible but I would say she is not for most. If you can wear it then wear it!

purselova, are you sure you're not thinking of Patricia Field?

I own one of her bags. It was under $300 (I think) and it was good quality. Here is a pic of it. (It's the one on the right.) There is nice detailing on the shoulder strap. It is nice and light. The inside lining is really pretty. It's pink with tiny flowers. the zipper on the inside pocket has a little horseshoe charm on it, and there is also a little gold flower charm that matches the flower in the lining pinned to her label. Very nice detailing for the money. The leather is super soft too. Great bag for the price.
attachment.php

Okay, now I feel a little silly for asking about such a "well known" designer! I did admit in a recent post I am BRAND NEW in the world of handbags and I'm soooo loving it. To bad my hubby doesn't share the love! He He. I'm 37 with 4 kids and have never really spent much more than $20 for a handbag until the last month when I purchased a black $50 Gap tote and then proceeded to Ebay where I purchased 3 Banana Republic bags: 1) chocolate brown pocket tote 2) the XL pocket tote in cognac and 3) the small teal tote. I loved these bags so much that I now can't stop looking at handbags. I will spare you pictures of my new babies (since you've probably seen these bags 100 times) but I now understand what all the handbag fuss is about. How great it feels to carry a bag that "represents YOU".

I actually started bidding on Ebay for some of the "designer" handbags. Luckily, I kept losing the bids and decided to see if I could find another source for those cool bags-which is when I discovered I had been bidding on 100% fake items. I found multiple sources where I could get those SAME items at half what I was bidding on Ebay for. Shock set in. My husband excitedly asked why I didn't hurry and snatch some of those up. At first I thought WOW, I could get those SAME ones sooo cheap -and yet I never ordered one. I came to the conculsion that I didn't want to spend $1 toward a fake bag. I think I'd rather just continue my support of Target and get the "real" deal -even if it's just Target, HA HA. I found this forum and have been learning ever since.

Now, I must determine a designer closer to my budget, even though I love, LOVE those such as Chloe, Fendi, Prada, Gucci, Balenciaga....Need I say more! I do feel like I am discovereing definite personal opinions of my own and I am very much enjoying this adventure...a new lifelong hobby...very exciting.

Anyway, I'm very interested in Betsey Johnson's bags, though some do seem a bit trendy (hey,what's wrong with trendy once in a while). Any other designers who might be fun to consider in this price range? I love the leather, soft, slouchy bags, with room for all my stuff.

You've got one of the hardest jobs in the world, you soo deserve a authentic handbag, sweetie. I hope your husband/family appreciates your sacrifices for them, your story is so touching..it made me want to cry :love: (reminds me of my mom, she had 4 kids too, never spent over $50 for herself). You might want to look into DKNY, Coach, Dooney & Bourke, and Cole Haan you can find them at Nordstrom and Macys, the price ranges from $100-400.

I'm crazy about Betsey Johnson! Her designs shows that she is into enjoying life to the fullest and much of her stuff is fun and offbeat - I like a lot but not all of it. She does a bunch of animal print things which I don't wear but I just ordered her Marilyn Monroe shirt!!