anyone just stopped selling online and using local consignment or donating?

Oh yeah, this happened to me too! Decided to consign a nearly new leather jacket to a local dress agency. I went back to collect it the day the agreement ran out and the owner told me she had “donated” all the old stock that morning. I was very angry but what could I do? She scammed me, I knew it, she knew it, but I couldn’t prove anything. When the shop closed down I did a little happy dance inside :graucho:
Look up the contract you signed when you consigned the items.

The way it worked with the consignment store I did business with, the contract gave an end date (90 days? I believe) and after that date, you had 72 hours to retrieve any unsold items, after which they would be donated. In one case, I'd missed the 72-hour timeframe by a day or 2 but still found my unsold items and took them back without an issue.

I've never seen a consignment contract which allows them to donate on the same date as the end of the consignment period.

The way it worked with the consignment store I did business with, the contract gave an end date (90 days? I believe) and after that date, you had 72 hours to retrieve any unsold items, after which they would be donated. In one case, I'd missed the 72-hour timeframe by a day or 2 but still found my unsold items and took them back without an issue.

I've never seen a consignment contract which allows them to donate on the same date as the end of the consignment period.
I have used a company here that sells on ebay, on behalf of people who don't want to do it themselves. There is usually a contract which states that unsold items will be donated if they are not picked up within a certain window of time (I think it is 48 to 72 hours). They will email you to pick up the item if it doesn't get sold. Most of my items sold fairly quickly. The owner is really good about researching items prior to listing them, and she turns down quite a few items if she thinks they are not likely to sell quickly.

Reactions: BeenBurned

It was a local shop not a large business. I did read the agreement, thank you. The jacket was gone on the last day I should have been able to collect it.

I have used a company here that sells on ebay, on behalf of people who don't want to do it themselves. There is usually a contract which states that unsold items will be donated if they are not picked up within a certain window of time (I think it is 48 to 72 hours). They will email you to pick up the item if it doesn't get sold. Most of my items sold fairly quickly. The owner is really good about researching items prior to listing them, and she turns down quite a few items if she thinks they are not likely to sell quickly.

Hi can you give me the contact for reseller. I had success with edropoff but they went out of business. I sent huge box of new clothes to ThredUP and they donated all to “charity”

Hi can you give me the contact for reseller. I had success with edropoff but they went out of business. I sent huge box of new clothes to ThredUP and they donated all to “charity”
I used a local company here but I don't think they accept mail-in items like ThredUp does. I used to just stop by their office and drop off the items I wanted them to sell. Also, I don't think this reseller accepts clothes unless they are very unusual or unique pieces. I have never sold any clothing items, I usually donate them.

I am not sure where you are located, but if you want to go this route, it might be helpful to search online for resellers and add your city or location. This will pull up all the options in your area, and you can read reviews and select the one that works for you. But they all charge a fairly high commission. The company I used took a 50 percent commission. They would list the item, and pack and ship it once it sold.
I decided to try selling on ebay recently. I have some more items left to sell, and once those items are sold, I am done selling.:smile:

Last edited:
I did sell a bag at the local consignment store recently. I brought them four bags and checked my account. I have a credit on there but they won't tell me over the phone which bag was sold. depending on which one, I either did almost as well as selling myself or I got half. anyway glad something was sold.

I used to use Bonanza and I actually made some decent sales there years ago. the other day I decided to list a bag there even though it's slow now. I went back a couple of days later to search for my item and couldn't find it. so I went to my account and they gave me a screen where they want my credit card. I don't think I'll bother, considering what a longshot it is that something will sell there.

Lately I have been selling some of my items to my local consignments (I usually takes buyout), the local consginments actually pretty good, some of their quotes are better than some other large well known consignments, and it only takes 1 day to ship items to them and get paid either the same day or the next day.

Last edited: