Anyone Jumping the eBay Ship?

uadjit

YMMV
O.G.
Jul 21, 2011
What with the new 180 day PayPal dispute policy and the ridiculous eBay holiday returns policy coming into effect next month I was wondering if anyone else has been trying to abandon eBay.

I've already removed my valuable items from there and now mostly sell things that cost less than $150 but I would love to be rid of them altogether. I've used Shop-Hers and Tradesy to sell some unwanted items but as for bags I prefer consignment if I can get even a decent return.

How have you all been doing with alternatives to eBay? Are you trying to branch out? Have the difficulties with eBay affected your buying habits? I know that I'm likely to think more about final sale purchases and flash sale "deals" than I was a year ago. How about you guys?

And for buyers, too. Are you looking elsewhere? I have had buying trouble this year with eBay and I prefer just about anywhere else for designer items.

After 11 years, I definitely am jumping off the ebay selling ship around 11/15 before the new policy goes into effect. I'm sure I won't be alone in jumping ship! I don't think I'll sell anywhere else, it's just too stressful especially around the holidays. My buying on ebay will probably be cut back a little as I try to be more selective in buying and enjoy what I already do have.

They modified the holiday return policy. Update came out yesterday.

I got the email about it just after I posted this. It doesn't really change my opinion, though. I feel that eBay is predatory and pushing their sellers as hard as they can. They just got more pushback than they were expecting this time around.

I have not used eBay to sell anything over $100 for the last few years. Recently I have used Shop Hers and Tradesy with very good results. I used to sell quite a bit on eBay years ago but now I am mostly just a buyer. I have sold one item to Fashionphile since the offer was reasonable but the last couple of quotes from them and Yoogis have been really low:sad:

Now that eBay is raising the final value fee limit from $250 to $750 unless you have store I'm done. That's the last straw and I've been selling since 2001.

So they will not be implementing the new 180 day return policy?

The 180 day dispute policy from PayPal will still go into effect.

The "extended holiday returns" from eBay is no longer mandatory in order to receive a TRS bonus. They've made it so that sellers who participate will get a 5% FVF discount, instead.

I am sure they gave up on it either because they received so many complaints or so few people were planning on participating (or more likely both).

I have currently two listings of bags on Ebay and keeping my fingers crossed that they sell before the 15th. After, that I will sell there only cheap things. Ebay is too stressful and I'm always scared that I'll be scammed or not paid or who knows what. So, I'm jumping ship as well. I'm sure this will be a factor to take in consideration when buying more bags in the future (bah!). I have been selling in Tradesy for a while and have been satisfied with the sales there. Opened a booth in Bonanza and nothing there. I recently put a bag for sale in Shop-hers but haven't sold it yet. I think the options besides Ebay are kind of strong but they need to grow up business wise.

I am not jumping ship. But that is because ebay is my main source of income.
180 return policy is not a "return" policy. It is the time frame that the buyers will be allowed to open a dispute.
I would like to say that majority of the buyers are not out to scam anyone. There are some bad apples, but that happens everywhere. Hopefully, there will be very few that will take advantage of the 180 dat SNAD/INR policy.
I will have to add the loss due to that (if any) to the prices of all of my items in order to recover that.
I do understand, however, that someone who sells a lot may be able to absorb some loss, when someone who sells only occasionally, not so much.

What with the new 180 day PayPal dispute policy and the ridiculous eBay holiday returns policy coming into effect next month I was wondering if anyone else has been trying to abandon eBay.

I've already removed my valuable items from there and now mostly sell things that cost less than $150 but I would love to be rid of them altogether. I've used Shop-Hers and Tradesy to sell some unwanted items but as for bags I prefer consignment if I can get even a decent return.

How have you all been doing with alternatives to eBay? Are you trying to branch out? Have the difficulties with eBay affected your buying habits? I know that I'm likely to think more about final sale purchases and flash sale "deals" than I was a year ago. How about you guys?
What the what?!! OMG, I 'm so glad I just wondered over here today. I didn't receive an email, did they notify the sellers? So as long as the item sells before Nov. 18th there is only the 45 day dispute policy? I was going to wait and post some things this weekend, I will post tomorrow instead. So buyers can have your item for 179 days and then decide to say it's SNAD right before the deadline? Department stores don't even give you that long!! :mad: I only sell my unwanted items, so I can't afford to absorb any losses, this isn't a business for me.

Bonanza is my alternative, but it's getting overrun with fake stuff which I think lowers the credibility in the eyes of the buyer. I do like that they don't hold your funds and their fees are lower than evilbay

Yep, I'm out. No way am I renting handbags for 6 months, or until the buyer is sick of it or the season change...NOPE NOPE NOPE. Even honest buyers now will give returns a second thought...should something (their error) break, they drop it in a puddle, get something on it blah blah blah...

Hell nah!

I'll be done selling on ebay before the PayPal 11/18 policy update kicks in. Listed everything I wouldn't mind selling and what doesn't sell, I'll keep. I'm sad. Since 2000, I've had a lot of fun and met some great people on ebay.