Anyone into Library Science?

Aslan

rainy
Nov 12, 2006
Is there anyone here that is going or has gone to school to get their M.L.S. (Masters in Library and Information Science)? I'm applying for the spring. When I tell people, many act like they've never heard of the degree. Am I the only one here? :crybaby:

Is there anyone here that is going or has gone to school to get their M.L.S. (Masters in Library and Information Science)? I'm applying for the spring. When I tell people, many act like they've never heard of the degree. Am I the only one here? :crybaby:

My mom has a MLS. :yes: She just went back to school and got another Masters in Education and now she's an elementary school librarian. I also know a guy who went to law school and got his JD, but has now decided he wants to be a librarian and is in the process of getting his MLS.

What are you going to do with it?

My coworker has her MA in this...and I used to work in a place with archives so there were a few of them there too :smile: Are you already working in the field? Its one of those programs that I think a lot of people don't even realize exist! Good luck in it!

I'm not working in the field, yet. I've known this is what I wanted to do for a long time; I'm aware that many people use this career path as a backup. I plan to specialize in rare books and special collections and hopefully obtain a job in a museum, the federal gov, or a university.

I don't know if you've already got this covered, but this actually came up in conversation today, my coworker said she did want to go back into the libraries but she's not fluent in a 2nd language... so keep that in the back of your mind as something to maybe work on at the same time, if you're not already fluent in another language.

^^^I know. I'm trying to decide which lang classes to take. I took French for a year and hated it. I might try Italian. I have no illusions about becoming fluent, though. Competency is what I'm striving for.

^^I know this is a really old thread, but I was wondering how it was going with school! Lately I've been thinking about the whole MLS thing and I wanna know if you're liking it :smile:

i started grad school in the late '70's at Catholic University in Washington DC for my MLS. never finished tho - kids came along. in the 2 courses i took i never worked so hard in my life! LOL...make sure the MLS program is acredited by the ALA - American Library Association. not too many were accredited back in the 70's. catholic university was... good luck!