anyone in Coastal GA or JAX area?

guccimamma

guccimamma
Aug 8, 2006
I have an elderly grandmother who never evacuates, says the hurricanes always bounce by her island....

sadly, most of her friends in the past few years have passed on...and i am not sure who she would even evacuate with....she is a stubborn old lady, really stubborn

we are in the early stages of deciding what kind of "help" she may need in the upcoming years..she refuses anything

My ???? for those of you in the area...should i or a family member (all on west coast) fly to Georgia to take her off the island for Hanna??? What are your thoughts on this storm/hurricane???

She insists that her island never gets hit because of the geography of SO GA, that it kind of bounces off mid-Florida and up to the Carolinas.

Thanks!!!!

Where are you located?

Hanna has been a really really really really odd storm, literally going around and around in spins and circles. But the latest advisory does not have her hitting GA or Florida, rather the Carolina's. I *think* for this storm, she may be ok. Is she right on the water? The storm surge would be more of a worry rather than a direct hit...

Thanks Megs, I'll Pm you the island...I'd rather not post it....there can't be too many elderly old ladies (on this island) with relatives on the west coast...so basically if anyone saw this, they would know i called her a stubborn old lady! I have evacuated with her in the past (I used to spend my summers with her when I was a kid), but she just thinks it is a whole lot of bother. She is not on the beach, but within a couple of blocks on both sides of her...basically a long strip of island with marsh on one side and ocean on the other.

I looked at Weather, so it seems like it may venture to the Carolinas...and maybe not so severe at that point, fingers crossed for all involved. I always get so frightened, but doesn't bother her at all.

But if anyone in the vicinity has any updates, I always worry about her. I would fly into JAX to come get her, but at last minute it is sooo expensive...and I would have to leave the kids with my husband, which has never worked well in the past!

Last edited:
^I have family on St Simons Island, and they are not evacuating. I think she'll be fine. No need to fly out to get her, I don't think.

And she is correct about hurricanes typically missing coastal GA because of its geography.

Very sweet of you to look out for her!

Last edited:
Thanks Megs, I'll Pm you the island...I'd rather not post it....there can't be too many elderly old ladies (on this island) with relatives on the west coast...so basically if anyone saw this, they would know i called her a stubborn old lady! I have evacuated with her in the past (I used to spend my summers with her when I was a kid), but she just thinks it is a whole lot of bother. She is not on the beach, but within a couple of blocks on both sides of her...basically a long strip of island with marsh on one side and ocean on the other.

I looked at Weather, so it seems like it may venture to the Carolinas...and maybe not so severe at that point, fingers crossed for all involved. I always get so frightened, but doesn't bother her at all.

But if anyone in the vicinity has any updates, I always worry about her. I would fly into JAX to come get her, but at last minute it is sooo expensive...and I would have to leave the kids with my husband, which has never worked well in the past!

I *think* it will miss her... but I also know that these storms are just so erratic. Just keep watching!

Thank you Megs, Bagluvr, & twin....feeling much better. It is so nice to be able to ask those who are close to the action, we don't have the connections with her friends like we used to, basically everyone has gotten old...even her close knit church group has changed in the last couple of years.

I sure love that place, if I could...that is where I would live. I think I should come back in another life as a Georgia Girl!!!

I'm in Jax, and I'm not going anywhere. Didn't go anywhere for any of the other hurricanes that have passed through, or by, in the past 30 years. I think it has to do with how we're geographically located, the storms either curve up and hit the Carolinas or it passes south into Miami/Keys. If something does change, I'll certainly help you out if you need something.
I'm stubborn when it comes to stuff like this, but I can def understand being safer than sorry when it comes to an elderly loved one.

thank you Charles, it means a lot to have advice from the area....sounds like gramma is in good company, people around there don't get too excited

but i still worry, you don't get too many grammas in your life...and she is a solitary old girl, someone will have to force her out of there if it comes down to it!

I'm not on the coast, but I've lived in GA all my life and your Grandma is right - it's rare that people there evacuate. The geography of the area is in their favor, and if she's lived there for a while she knows what she's in for. And if it makes you feel any better, towns and islands down there are very community-oriented, I'm sure folks will be checking on each other if the hurricane seems like it will be any worse than they usually are. I hear it's supposed to go farther north, though.