Anyone here tired with the same inventory?

BgaHolic

Emma 4ever in my <3
O.G.
May 23, 2009
Is it just me? I've been browsing for quite a while and am getting bored with the styles of handbags. I'm lusting for a suede lined lambskin but have very distinct wants. No logo, durable and strong to be worn on a daily basis and most of all, it has to have style!

I have not seen a unique bag hit the market for a couple of years now! I love BV it resonates "classic". I have not found a lambskin Balenciaga bag yet and want something different. Anyone else here wanting to see some new edgy styles come out? I saw a remake of an old Shariff bag done by Hype which caught my eye on Bluefly but other than that, nada, nothing!

I have so much trouble finding a bag (or anything else) - I always know exactly what I want, only to discover no one makes it or if they ever made it, it's out of style!

You ask a really interesting question, BgaHolic! And to me the dilemma that you are pointing is further evidence of the fact that it's smartest to stick with classic styles (and when I say classic, I don't mean frumpy). The speed with which fashion trends come and go has led me to the conclusion that I can do without the latest "it" bag - and my wallet thanks me for this. :P

OP - That's one of the reasons (among many others) that I went on a ban. Nothing new worth being in a frenzy about.

That's where I am right now. All my bags are classics. Bags which I purchased before TPF are all classic as well it's just I'm expecting something new and fresh. Something exciting and functional and classic and most of all lightweight!

What is the big deal with lots of roomy pockets in a bag and not a tiny slip pocket which one's cell phone literally slips out of? I would be willing to pay the difference to have a luxurious suede interior with a gorgeous buttery soft exterior which has been treated! Would it kill if the exterior had a smart classy pocket to store a cell? I'm just disappointed with the designers out there lately. They have all gotten lazy and no one has come out with anything new and original which is what brings me back to why I have not bought anything new lately. I am yearning for originality and am willing to pay the difference for it!

Being tired of the same inventory, especially when they're not attractive in the first place, is why my bans are so frickin' easy to stick to (for the very most part anyway). It seems that the more bags I buy, the less bags I want elsewhere because I'm covering all the designs that I could ever want.

That's where I am right now. All my bags are classics. Bags which I purchased before TPF are all classic as well it's just I'm expecting something new and fresh. Something exciting and functional and classic and most of all lightweight!

What is the big deal with lots of roomy pockets in a bag and not a tiny slip pocket which one's cell phone literally slips out of? I would be willing to pay the difference to have a luxurious suede interior with a gorgeous buttery soft exterior which has been treated! Would it kill if the exterior had a smart classy pocket to store a cell? I'm just disappointed with the designers out there lately. They have all gotten lazy and no one has come out with anything new and original which is what brings me back to why I have not bought anything new lately. I am yearning for originality and am willing to pay the difference for it!

You have hit on one of my pet peeves - shallow cell phone pockets! They drive me insane. Grrr. Have you ever checked out MZ Wallace, btw? I have been looking at those bags forever, and have seen them IRL and they are very well made - most of them are nylon, and they are very light, indestructible, and extremely functional in terms of pockets, etc. (I think that a Cornelia or a Paige is in in my future, since I need a black cross-body and am really into lightweight, well organized bags as of late).

I also agree with you that most designers have become incredibly lazy. I am bored to death of designers who abuse studs or who churn out the same bags every season with only minor tweaks to their most visible designs ("Look! It's a mini version of last year's biggest seller!" "How about a *studded* version of everyone's favorite from last summer?", "Would you like a cross-body, fringed version of the bag that you've already bought in five others colors?", etc.) :throwup:

I find this insulting to my intelligence not only as a consumer but also as someone who considers handbags not only functional, but as aesthetic entities.

There is a very fine line between respecting a timeless, classic design and unashamedly, endlessly rehashing a cash cow. While I realize that designers are also business people and they need to make money, too, I would argue that most do not negotiate this fine line all that skillfully.

Good question, BgaHolic! I love Chanel and Prada, but I've bought other designers in the past year or so I can mix styles and colours. My Mum also presents me with her favs, which are Coach handbags, which I wear cuz I love her lots.

Have you checked Prada.com's Brit e-store? There are some unique designs (for Prada), but so far I'm not thrilled enough to part with my $$$.

Chanel.com has their pe-winter collection, but Chanel just raised their prices . . . AGAIN.

:heart:

Loquita - That was funny and truthful. Women often talk about what they want and really need from a good bag. I believe the quest for perfection would end if each woman designed and created her own bags. We would certainly have fewer mistakes hanging in our closets.

BgaHolic Indeed some of the designers are just really selling similar bags in different color every 2-3 months but i still get caught up in the buying until recently i kind of "woke up" :sweatdrop:. i went through the buy/sell cycle when i lost focus what i really need from the bags i carry. after i wrote down my numerous "criteria" it's seriously not that easy to find The Bag ... i'm trying to stop buying something else that meet just part of the criteria which subsequent i'll sell the bag soon after purchase (sometimes without even using it).

Loquita reading this thread has just made me long for another purse lol when i should not be buying any more bags :P MZ Wallace Baby Jane is my new fav :biggrin: i agree it's scary to see someone in the family being so trouble by money due to overspending/ terrible money management/ bad timing and i've seen it up close ....

Last edited:
This is such an interesting question and some really valid points. The past two years or so I have especially fallen into the the trap of having multiples (not two, several) of the same bag in different colors and minor changes. It was Lo's post that really hit home and allowed me to break out of the cycle. I have since done MAJOR purging... let go of some bags I'd never thought I would. I've invested more in quality than trend. I do still have a few fun, trendy bags but they aren't expensive. I'm much happier now.

And funny... the past few weeks I've found myself browsing and getting frustrated. Then I was like "What are you frustrated about? You don't NEED another bag?" I had to laugh at myself. I am really happy with my small collection that matches my needs/moods perfectly. :biggrin:

This is such an interesting question and some really valid points. The past two years or so I have especially fallen into the the trap of having multiples (not two, several) of the same bag in different colors and minor changes. It was Lo's post that really hit home and allowed me to break out of the cycle. I have since done MAJOR purging... let go of some bags I'd never thought I would. I've invested more in quality than trend. I do still have a few fun, trendy bags but they aren't expensive. I'm much happier now.

And funny... the past few weeks I've found myself browsing and getting frustrated. Then I was like "What are you frustrated about? You don't NEED another bag?" I had to laugh at myself. I am really happy with my small collection that matches my needs/moods perfectly. :biggrin:

:hugs: This post makes me so happy!!! I am thrilled for you!!!

I feel the same way - much more content with a smaller collection. Funny, but (at least in the States) we are socialized to think that having more options, that having more things, period will magically make us happier. I have gradually found the opposite to be true: owning lots of stuff really stresses me out! :nuts:

This might sound kind of wacky, but my allergies taught me this lesson. When I hit my early/mid twenties I developed very severe respiratory allergies, so much so that the doctors strongly suggested that I get rid of all knick-knacks and extra stuff in my house, because it all inevitably gathers dust, which provokes asthma attacks - no matter how well or often you clean. So, I began getting rid of all of my "stuff," and kept it to a bare minimum. I have become a master of making my living space look inviting while simultaneously keeping it spare - and I spend a lot less time moving junk aside to clean around it, which is a major bonus.

This mentality has crept into all other areas of my life. I am not about to deprive myself by any means (trust me :P), but at the same time I have come to the conclusion that having lots of excess stuff around clutters not only my physical space, but my brain as well. It's easier to think and (quite literally, breathe) when you own smaller "collections" - of everything!

BgaHolic Indeed some of the designers are just really selling similar bags in different color every 2-3 months but i still get caught up in the buying until recently i kind of "woke up" :sweatdrop:. i went through the buy/sell cycle when i lost focus what i really need from the bags i carry. after i wrote down my numerous "criteria" it's seriously not that easy to find The Bag ... i'm trying to stop buying something else that meet just part of the criteria which subsequent i'll sell the bag soon after purchase (sometimes without even using it).

Loquita reading this thread has just made me long for another purse lol when i should not be buying any more bags :P MZ Wallace Baby Jane is my new fav :biggrin: i agree it's scary to see someone in the family being so trouble by money due to overspending/ terrible money management/ bad timing and i've seen it up close ....

Sorry, ms p!! Didn't mean to tempt you!!! :P

You have good taste, btw - I like the Baby Jane, too, lol!!!

As for watching loved ones in financial trouble: it is extremely stressful (and I can only imagine how horrible it is for them). :sad: The person with the financial problems in my family actually struggles with a compulsion to buy and hoard items, which makes the situation all that much more difficult, I am afraid.

Glad to see I am not the only one getting bored with the merchandise out there! I've always personally thought that Yves Saint Laurent was the master in creating fabulous classic designs. Sort of cutting edge with a classic timeless feel. I am now seeking a new creator/designer if you will, who can invent a new timeless classic! Keep in mind, my version of timeless classic pieces are those that are not labeled. They can have a recognizable look certainly but I personally do not like logos on my bags! If I were to ever wear a logo bag, the designer would have to pay ME a salary!