Travel Anyone here from Louisville, or have visited there?

DenimShopaholic

My happy place!!
O.G.
Aug 10, 2006
One of my good friends has proposed a good old-fashioned girls "road trip" in May or June.

Based on where we live now, we are considering Louisville, KY. It seems like a fun place to spend 3-4 days, and it's a reasonable drive for us.

We like to try unique restaurants, visit museums, walk through quaint neighborhoods with quirky shops, etc. Our nightlife preferences run the gamut of laid-back places to grab a burger and beer to modern wine and martini bars. Nice hotel bars are always a safe bet for us as well.

Does Louisville fit the bill for a quick trip? Any recommendations on places to see? Also we are considering staying downtown, probably in a Marriott property. What's it like to stay downtown? Convenient to attractions, etc?

Thanks in advance!!

Louisville is GREAT! I've posted on all the Kentucky threads lately, as I went to school in Lexington, but have spent a great deal of time in all of the other places KY has to offer.

IMHO, the 'Ville is even more fun than Lexington! There's the zoo, and it doesn't matter how old you are, it's always a blast!, The L'ville Slugger museum, Six Flags....

Ok, so find the Brown Hotel and go in and eat a Hot Brown. It will look crazy and like a calorie bomb (which is IS) BUT share it with your girls and you'll have eaten a genuine famous dish from Louisville! (Personally, I think they are delicious!)

One thing you should DEFINITELY do is the Bourbon Trail - go on a sampler tour for sure. Even if you don't "do" Bourbon.... it's worth it and it's a ton of fun. You won't be able to hit them all, but depending on the amount of time you're willing to invest, you could see maybe three or four. And at the Maker's Mark distillery, you can sample and even dip your own bottle in wax. And don't leave without some Maker's Mark Bourbon Balls!

Hmmm...what else... there's just so much! Look up 732 Social (restaurant), 60 West (They have some sort of martini special happy hour thing - but they offer like 100 different martinis...), Graeter's (ice cream to DIE for), Clifton's Pizza, ....

My advice - don't eat at any chain restaurants or places you've been before. Louisville offers a LOT of variety and new stuff to try. It's a great city - but get ready for some traffic! Have a fantastic time!!